Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • shortcrust
    • By shortcrust 12th Jul 17, 10:57 AM
    • 1,418Posts
    • 1,865Thanks
    shortcrust
    Cutting my own flowers over my neighbours' boundary
    • 12th Jul 17, 10:57 AM
    Cutting my own flowers over my neighbours' boundary 12th Jul 17 at 10:57 AM
    Thought you people would know as it's a boundary thing.

I have flowers growing up a trellis type fence on the boundary with my neighbours. Can I lean over/reach through and cut flowers that are poking through on my neighbours' side? Do the flowers on their side still belong to me?

Just curious really. My neighbours are lovely and really don't mind what I do.
Page 2
    • G_M
    • By G_M 12th Jul 17, 12:49 PM
    • 41,935 Posts
    • 48,532 Thanks
    G_M
    No, that would be impossible. If the wind was from the east then an overhanging plant would belong to one person, while if the wind was from the west it would belong to somebody else.
    Originally posted by ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    Love it!

On a windy day.... "It's mine!"
    "No, now it's mine!"
    "No, Now It's mine again!"
    "Tough! It's mine and I've cut it down. Yah Boo!"
    • G_M
    • By G_M 12th Jul 17, 12:51 PM
    • 41,935 Posts
    • 48,532 Thanks
    G_M
    Its just a discussion, no need to make personal remarks.
    Originally posted by sevenhills
    Did I miss a personal remark? Or has it been deleted?
    • Teapot55
    • By Teapot55 12th Jul 17, 1:04 PM
    • 187 Posts
    • 181 Thanks
    Teapot55
    Oh dear, this reminds me of the time I got carried away with the pruning & thought I would trim my neighbour's shrub just from where it was past the boundary wall, ie, on my side.

I then decided that I would lean over the wall & give it a proper haircut, thinking it would also be good for the plant & save her a job!

She was not amused. Fortunately for me our long-standing neighbourly relationship survived.
    • silvercar
    • By silvercar 12th Jul 17, 2:53 PM
    • 36,049 Posts
    • 152,267 Thanks
    silvercar
    You can't trespass into their property in order to cut down your plants. leaning far over the boundary is also trespass. If you cut from your side and bits fell over there, you really need consent if you need to want to retrieve the debris.
    • sevenhills
    • By sevenhills 26th Jul 17, 8:16 AM
    • 711 Posts
    • 256 Thanks
    sevenhills
    Just interesting

TOP 40 'SMALL' LAWS BROKEN BY BRITS:

"30. Thrown tree cuttings back over your neighbours' garden"

http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/crime/the-40-laws-that-are-routinely-broken-by-brits-and-probably-by-you-1-8669106
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 26th Jul 17, 8:30 AM
    • 23,556 Posts
    • 89,410 Thanks
    Davesnave
    Just interesting

http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/crime/the-40-laws-that-are-routinely-broken-by-brits-and-probably-by-you-1-8669106
    Bad journalism, because it doesn't state where these 'tree cuttings' originated.

But then it's just a space filling article...

Well, I would say that, there's only 3 4 things on the list I've not done!
    Last edited by Davesnave; 26-07-2017 at 8:35 AM.
    'A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they'll never sit in.'
    • Twopints
    • By Twopints 26th Jul 17, 8:32 AM
    • 1,426 Posts
    • 1,957 Thanks
    Twopints
    Just interesting

Presumably that is littering.

You are meant to offer them back to the rightful owner i.e. the person on whose land the tree is.
    Not even wrong
    • enthusiasticsaver
    • By enthusiasticsaver 26th Jul 17, 8:38 AM
    • 4,674 Posts
    • 8,840 Thanks
    enthusiasticsaver
    Not sure about flowers but we have trees on a shared boundary hedgerow which apparently are ours but they have preservation order on it. When we get them lopped though we only do our side and the top, not our neighbours as we assumed that was their responsibility. I would not lean over a neighbours fence to cut flowers even if the plant is yours.
    4 weeks to go until early retirement in December . Debt free and mortgage free.

I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Mortgages, Banking and Budgeting boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • davidmcn
    • By davidmcn 26th Jul 17, 9:06 AM
    • 6,096 Posts
    • 5,843 Thanks
    davidmcn
    Just interesting

Depressing piece of "journalism" - who could've guessed, for example, that "taking illegal drugs" was illegal!
    • nobblyned
    • By nobblyned 26th Jul 17, 11:51 AM
    • 662 Posts
    • 661 Thanks
    nobblyned
    Just interesting

Yes, throwing them over their side would be if not illegal at least rather aggressive. The point everyone is making is that you are supposed to offer them back not just lob them in their garden.
    Last edited by nobblyned; 26-07-2017 at 11:54 AM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

152Posts Today

1,470Users online

Martin's Twitter