Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 12th Jul 17, 10:46 AM
    • 14,929Posts
    • 120,967Thanks
    JackieO
    What are the meals you have never tried /cooked for what ever reason
    • 12th Jul 17, 10:46 AM
    What are the meals you have never tried /cooked for what ever reason 12th Jul 17 at 10:46 AM
    Hi everyone I thought as a bit of a mood lightener I have been thinking about stuff that, for what ever reason I have never tried ,bought ,cooked or tasted so far I have come up with this

Risotto,: I prefer my rice as a pudding with cinnamon and a thick crispy skin and some single cream (yeah i know its probably evil and unhealthy, and the food nazi's will want to hang me out to dry )) but hey at my age I can enjoy what I like and I like old fashioned HM rice pud so there I do eat a little boiled rice with a curry though

Stir Fry : never had one or fancied one ,but as I don't like chinese food in any shape or form its hardly surprising, each to their own and I prefer a nice hot curry instead

Butternut squash : Looked at them and decided that a whopping great squash for me would take me
    A far too long to eat and
    B. far too long to muck about cooking

I like cooking and probably if it was made for me and I had time to sit down and eat it I may enjoy it .

Trying to work out why anyone would enjoy eating spinach. I have cooked it, and eaten it but no matter what it to me just tastes of wet grass, a pan full of green mulch that cooks down to virtually nothing and tastes of nothing

So come on chums lets be truthful what is the food that you think is
    A over rated
    B would never cook in a month of Sundays

I am sure that often we see stuff cooked on TV and are 'educated' into eating it . At the moment 'kale ' seems to be the veg that we are being 'persuaded to eat, to me Kale is something you feed cattle and not humans

could be interesting I am not knocking anyone who enjoys the above just its not for me

JackieO xx

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 19-07-2017 at 10:25 AM.
    Quot Libra,Quam Breve Tempus.
Page 3
    • JIL
    • By JIL 13th Jul 17, 12:58 AM
    • 2,616 Posts
    • 18,038 Thanks
    JIL
    I haven't eaten meat for nearly 30 years. I do still eat fish, I enjoy prawns and battered fish but I will not try any other shell fish. I really don't like the idea of strange other fish, catfish and talapia (sp) no thankyou.

I will eat any veg, fruit, grains, salad. But I do not like lettuce and cheese together.

My son has eaten some weird things he went out for a meal I think in Canada where they served rotisserie rabbit and the ears were a bit of a delicacy as they were all crunchy. Another time he had fish, but they served the flesh and deep fried the bones which were also eaten.
    • MsLdn
    • By MsLdn 13th Jul 17, 8:14 AM
    • 16 Posts
    • 82 Thanks
    MsLdn
    I'm allergic to prawns and so worry I'll be allergic to other seafood. Consequently I've never even tried crab, lobster or any shellfish. I've also never tried mussels or oysters, they just really don't appeal to me! I don't eat meat, but I used to cook and eat it quite happily once. Not offal though! Can't think of any particular aversions to vegetables, but my partner hates mushrooms and peppers so I rarely get to cook or eat them. Spinach I LOVE. And olives, esp. kalamata olives.
    • juliettet
    • By juliettet 13th Jul 17, 9:29 AM
    • 551 Posts
    • 3,042 Thanks
    juliettet
    I'm veggie too but my quirks are many.
    Risotto can be a option on a menu but needs to be really well flavoured with herbs and butter. Can be insipid.
    White sauce or hot milk can make me feel sick although I love cheese sauce. I put in a lot of cheese.Also love rice pudding and custard. I know hot milk!
    Tofu. Disgusting stuff.
    Quorn. Needs careful cooking. I make probably once a month a Quorn curry.
    Pasta with aubergine.
    Okra. Yuk
    I like pure flavours. Really have a cheek to come on this thread as I hate thrown together recipes. My Mother said I was a nightmare.
    Probably could think of a lot more.
    I do love spinach and butternut squash though.
    • Out, Vile Jelly
    • By Out, Vile Jelly 13th Jul 17, 10:44 AM
    • 3,424 Posts
    • 11,267 Thanks
    Out, Vile Jelly
    I've been a vegetarian since I was 11, so there are whole aisles of meat and fish that I've never tasted as they didn't exist in my childhood; game, fancy fish like bass, chorizo, pulled pork whatever that is (looks like a surgical procedure gone wrong). I hated the taste of meat and fish so don't feel I'm missing out. A lot of vegetarian versions of meat dishes are very unappealing; eg wellington (looks really heavy), fake steaks, fake bacon, fake Scotch Eggs etc (maybe because I never liked the meat originals).

I eat pretty much all vegetables and am open to all different cuisines, except French (not veggie-friendly at all). I don't bother with risotto as I find it stodgy and dull after the first couple of mouthfuls. Got a recipe for vegetarian gravy, but not sure I'd ever bother when I like the instant granules.

Re butternut squash, I can see that it's a visually imposing vegetable that looks like a lot of hassle, but it's fanstastic value if you have the space to grow from seed. You can get an awful lot of meals out of one (my first was about 3 times the size of the supermarket wimps); spicy soup, curries, fajitas, stews etc.

Also re Chinese, don't be put off if you've had a nasty takeaway. I work with a lot of Chinese researchers, one told me in his region they find the concept of sweet and sour disgusting, and flavour their dishes with much more subtlety. A stir fry is a great way to use up veg and is a lighter meal in hot weather.
    They are an EYESORES!!!!
    • MsLdn
    • By MsLdn 13th Jul 17, 11:48 AM
    • 16 Posts
    • 82 Thanks
    MsLdn
    I'm pescatarian, I guess - I eat fish but only very rarely. Haven't eaten meat for over 15 years. But I'm not keen on tofu, or quorn so don't generally eat fake meat products, the only exception being veggie sausages. I don't really understand the whole fake meat thing or who it appeals to, when there's so many delicious things you can make with veggies, pulses & nuts. Oh yes, okra - yuk!
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 13th Jul 17, 3:48 PM
    • 4,350 Posts
    • 17,945 Thanks
    Slinky
    Somebody's mention of jelly reminded me of pork pies - don't like pork pies with loads of jelly. Particularly cold from the fridge. Not good.

Not keen on fish other than cod, will eat prawns as in small ones like you get in a prawn cocktail, but nothing involving cracking shells open. Quite like crab, prefer the brown meat to the white.

Sushi - absolutely no. Raw fish of any sort, yuck. Tried a smorgasboard once, never again.
    • MsLdn
    • By MsLdn 13th Jul 17, 5:52 PM
    • 16 Posts
    • 82 Thanks
    MsLdn
    Yes, I tried sushi once, too. First and last time, never again! The one I tried didn't even have fish in it but there was something in it that my tastebuds just did not agree with ... think it was the seaweed stuff that the rice etc. was wrapped up in.
    • luxor4t
    • By luxor4t 13th Jul 17, 7:01 PM
    • 9,631 Posts
    • 34,487 Thanks
    luxor4t
    Tripe; eels (jellied or au natural); any kind of awful...sorry, offal; belly pork (if the dog used to refuse it, it can't be edible); and Green's Carmelle dessert.
    I can cook and sew, make flowers grow.
    • YorksLass
    • By YorksLass 13th Jul 17, 7:48 PM
    • 210 Posts
    • 2,674 Thanks
    YorksLass
    Who remembers back in the late 1960s those awful tins of pink Olde Oak Ham that were sold at Christmas full of gelatine, yuk.
    Originally posted by JackieO
    Jackie, you can still get it! I think it's about £3 a tin. I have an older cousin who used to live in S.Africa and when he came home to visit he would bring us all a tin of their ham. What a difference, it was gorgeous. And another one I never liked was the tinned crab that had too many bones in it and tasted nothing like a fresh crab.

These are my lists:

Don’t mind but think they’re over-rated: Spinach, asparagus, sweet potato

Foods I have tried but wouldn’t have again: Parsnips, butternut squash, aubergine, kippers (too many bones) or any other smoked fish, blue cheese (tastes like soap to me), haggis, whelks (too chewy), jellied eels (bones again) and tripe (bland and tasteless), pigs’ cheek

Foods I’ve never had - mainly because I don’t know what to do with them - but wouldn’t rule out unless I’d tried them: Celeriac, fennel, artichoke, pumpkin, okra, tofu, quorn

Foods I’ve never had, nor would I be tempted to even try: Sushi, oysters, olives, chitterlings, pigs’ trotters, sweetbreads

I don’t like celery or pineapple in their “raw” state but don’t mind them when they’re cooked as an ingredient in a meal.

As for tripe, my late DF used to like it cooked in milk with onions and DH likes it raw with vinegar and pepper but it’s not for me however it’s presented. Yuk.

When I was first married, DH once brought home half a cow heel to go in a big pan of stew. I wasn’t keen on the idea but have to admit it was the best stew I’ve ever had! It completely dissolved, leaving just the bone to fish out, and made the gravy thick and tasty. Next day the stew that was left had gone so solid you could cut it with a knife. Until recently, we had a stall in the market where you could get this, as well as tripe etc. DH mourns its demise but secretly I was happy to see it go!
    Be kind to others and to yourself too. Life has its ups and downs, use the ups to overcome the downs!

July GC: £160 - £152.02 = £7.98 NSDs 15/28
    June GC: £200 - £203.13 = £3.13 NSDs 26/35
    May GC: £160
    - £149.63 = £10.37 NSDs 20/28
    • Spendless
    • By Spendless 13th Jul 17, 11:36 PM
    • 19,398 Posts
    • 31,382 Thanks
    Spendless
    I'm veggie too but my quirks are many.
    Risotto can be a option on a menu but needs to be really well flavoured with herbs and butter. Can be insipid.
    White sauce or hot milk can make me feel sick although I love cheese sauce. I put in a lot of cheese.Also love rice pudding and custard. I know hot milk!
    Tofu. Disgusting stuff.
    Quorn. Needs careful cooking. I make probably once a month a Quorn curry.
    Pasta with aubergine.
    Okra. Yuk
    I like pure flavours. Really have a cheek to come on this thread as I hate thrown together recipes. My Mother said I was a nightmare.
    Probably could think of a lot more.
    I do love spinach and butternut squash though.
    Originally posted by juliettet
    My teenage DD has been veggie for a year. Went to school a meat eater and came home saying she wasn't one (no prior warning!). That lasted 3 days, then she tried again a month later and stuck to it. At first I insisted she was pescatarian (you know so she could eat something whilst we established the vegetables she actually liked!) then she changed to being vegetarian a few months later. Fussy as a meat eater, I haven't seen much difference as a vegetarain. Doesn't like cooked cheese (except in a toasted sandwich) mushrooms or spiced food - things that many veggie meals are baed on. Quorn is a mixed bag, seems to like some white meat versions and not dark meat ones. Tofu haven't even gone there. Finally have 2 lots of veggie sausages she likes (Linda M and cauldron). I'm with your Mum Can't wait for my DD to be a self managing adult for her meals.
    • gonebust
    • By gonebust 14th Jul 17, 12:47 AM
    • 169 Posts
    • 605 Thanks
    gonebust
    Omg. I must be a complete gannet because the only things on all your posts that I agree with are tripe, jellied eels and caviar , and that's because yes I've tried them, and still gag at the thought of them lol

I avoid some foods because I don't like the texture, mash, custard, milk puddings all spring to mind. Yet I will eat them if I'm served them elsewhere There's also a lot of veg I don't like but I still get it in me by hook or crook. I find cooking it differently helps, like I'm not fussed on cauliflower but it great braised in oyster sauce and acceptable in a cheese sauce
    • juliettet
    • By juliettet 14th Jul 17, 9:19 AM
    • 551 Posts
    • 3,042 Thanks
    juliettet
    That was me spendless. At first with no Mum to pander to me, I lived on cheese sandwiches and pasta. I moved to just outside Glasgow and worked in the city for a while. A whole new world opened up. Really good Indian restaurants and proper Italian food. I copied them at home and now eat really well. It has taken time though.
    • purpleybat
    • By purpleybat 14th Jul 17, 4:28 PM
    • 218 Posts
    • 1,649 Thanks
    purpleybat
    Sweetbreads and brawn. My grandad always had brawn in the fridge, it looked and smelt vile As for sweetbreads, they're glands, even the word makes me heave
    Originally posted by minimad1970

i remember my mother and aunt making brawn, it wasn't a good sight, a head boiling in a bit pot! tho to be honest I preferred the sight of that to the jellified mass quivering on the table that I was going to be forced to eat
    gc jan 148.59/150 feb 134.58/150 mar 148.35/160 apr 139.24/160 may 165.78/160 june 129.05/160 july 148.23/170
    • LameWolf
    • By LameWolf 14th Jul 17, 4:48 PM
    • 9,463 Posts
    • 102,322 Thanks
    LameWolf
    Any form of meat or fish - I don't eat it myself, and I'd be terrified to cook it for anyone lest lest I give them food poisoning - and also I can't abide the smell. When one of my canine guests brought two little packets of raw mince with her, to be cooked for her dinners over the weekend she was staying with me, my lovely DH stepped up to the plate and cooked them for her.

Green leafy things like cabbage - or any other brassica for that matter. Neither DH nor I like them, so we don't eat them.

Curries or anything else remotely spicy - what is the modern fad for putting chilli in everything anyways? Yuk!!

Beetroot. Not allowed in my house. Vile stuff!

Anything I can't pronounce that purports to be food.
    LameWolf
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.
    • Mr_Singleton
    • By Mr_Singleton 14th Jul 17, 8:13 PM
    • 641 Posts
    • 1,435 Thanks
    Mr_Singleton
    After reading this thread I think I need to start the tripe appreciation society!
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 15th Jul 17, 7:49 AM
    • 14,929 Posts
    • 120,967 Thanks
    JackieO
    After reading this thread I think I need to start the tripe appreciation society!
    Originally posted by Mr_Singleton
    Possibly founder and only member perhaps
    Quot Libra,Quam Breve Tempus.
    • kboss2010
    • By kboss2010 15th Jul 17, 10:23 AM
    • 990 Posts
    • 7,409 Thanks
    kboss2010
    I don't cook meat on the bone, a childhood where the only meat of that kind anyone made was cheap, fatty, gristly stuff I wouldn't have put into dog food made me practically vegetarian for many years! I still don't particularly like beef, lamb & pork except good mince & bacon.

I don't own a deep fat fryer, too many years of watching my grandparents eat themselves into an early grave with such greasy, dripping, fatty food that everything in the kitchen always had a permanent layer of grease on it that washing up liquid couldn't touch!

Kale & wheatberries I just don't understand. Stinky cheeses I'm not fond of.

I hardly ever use my oven except for occasional baking, not much gets roasted in this house. For me, time is a factor so if it can't be cooked on a hob in less than 1/2 an hour, we rarely make it. Most things we eat (curries, stir fry, pasta dishes, chilli, spag bol, risotto) only require a couple of pans & a kettle to make.

Can't stand shellfish dishes (a year of working in a lab that tested shellfish put me off because of the smell of the stuff we were working with lol) & OH is allergic anyway so we never make those.
    "I want to be a glow worm, A glow worm's never glum
    'Coz how can you be grumpy, when the sun shines out your bum?" ~ Dr A. Tapping

I'm finding my way back to sanity again... but I don't really know what I'm gonna do when I get there
    ~ Lifehouse
    • Callie22
    • By Callie22 15th Jul 17, 10:23 AM
    • 2,803 Posts
    • 7,670 Thanks
    Callie22
    I find cooking it differently helps, like I'm not fussed on cauliflower but it great braised in oyster sauce and acceptable in a cheese sauce
    Originally posted by gonebust
    Try roasting cauliflower. I had some recently roasted with cumin seeds and spices to go with Indian food and it was a total revelation. I like cauliflower anyway but if you roast it, it's really delicious - it tastes like cauliflower but without the 'ponginess' you get when it's boiled or steamed.
    • whmf00001
    • By whmf00001 19th Jul 17, 8:14 PM
    • 159 Posts
    • 823 Thanks
    whmf00001
    Snails.
    Oysters
    cockles
    winkles
    Octopus
    mussels Not very fishy
    Smoked fish/meat/bacon
    Kale Spinach- do have but only because I should
    Pig-Knuckle/trotters only if almost give-a-way and then for soup
    Cucumber makes me vomit
    Black Pudding)
    Liver..
    Olives
    Aubergine, bought one last week to make lasagne and as I thought, I dont like it, slimey & dirty looking

I never used to have courgettes and blueberries until about 4 years ago when g.son talked me into them, now staples.

There are some other things but thats enough
    OH GIN nasty
    • Ginmonster
    • By Ginmonster 20th Jul 17, 9:14 AM
    • 224 Posts
    • 2,252 Thanks
    Ginmonster
    OH GIN nasty
    Originally posted by whmf00001
    Heresy! ;-)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,580Posts Today

6,064Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin