Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 12th Jul 17, 10:46 AM
    • 15,093Posts
    • 122,407Thanks
    JackieO
    What are the meals you have never tried /cooked for what ever reason
    • 12th Jul 17, 10:46 AM
    What are the meals you have never tried /cooked for what ever reason 12th Jul 17 at 10:46 AM
    Hi everyone I thought as a bit of a mood lightener I have been thinking about stuff that, for what ever reason I have never tried ,bought ,cooked or tasted so far I have come up with this

Risotto,: I prefer my rice as a pudding with cinnamon and a thick crispy skin and some single cream (yeah i know its probably evil and unhealthy, and the food nazi's will want to hang me out to dry )) but hey at my age I can enjoy what I like and I like old fashioned HM rice pud so there I do eat a little boiled rice with a curry though

Stir Fry : never had one or fancied one ,but as I don't like chinese food in any shape or form its hardly surprising, each to their own and I prefer a nice hot curry instead

Butternut squash : Looked at them and decided that a whopping great squash for me would take me
    A far too long to eat and
    B. far too long to muck about cooking

I like cooking and probably if it was made for me and I had time to sit down and eat it I may enjoy it .

Trying to work out why anyone would enjoy eating spinach. I have cooked it, and eaten it but no matter what it to me just tastes of wet grass, a pan full of green mulch that cooks down to virtually nothing and tastes of nothing

So come on chums lets be truthful what is the food that you think is
    A over rated
    B would never cook in a month of Sundays

I am sure that often we see stuff cooked on TV and are 'educated' into eating it . At the moment 'kale ' seems to be the veg that we are being 'persuaded to eat, to me Kale is something you feed cattle and not humans

could be interesting I am not knocking anyone who enjoys the above just its not for me

JackieO xx

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 19-07-2017 at 10:25 AM.
    Quot Libra,Quam Breve Tempus.
Page 2
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 12th Jul 17, 5:00 PM
    • 15,093 Posts
    • 122,407 Thanks
    JackieO
    I agree about the tripe I can remember having to eat it during rationing and my Mum cooked it in milk .To me it was like eating a boiled tea towel Also we had off ration, as the government had imported large quantities of this, tinned fish called Snoek. I think from South Africa .

No wonder they exported it ,revolting stuff but as it was off ration we had to be thankful and eat it up. We had two choices when I was a child ,eat up or go hungry

Made me almost able to eat anything ,but given the choice I guess that tripe and snoek would be consigned to Room 101 for ever .

Wasn't keen on 'Woolton Pie ' either Lots of people have rose coloured ideas about food from and after WW2, some was OK but a lot ,looking back was pretty basic stuff and meant to fill you up.

No one ent particularly hungry but food didn't have the excitement of the herbs and spices of today.

I agree about jellied eels, whelks, mussle's and apart from crab almost anything that comes with its own house attached cockles winkles and snails definitely off the menu even though I am an eastender not that keen on prawns either .Caviar is overated fish paste but I do like olives ,especially those stuffed ones, and heartily agree that gin should be classed as a superfood ,in fact I would recommend it on prescription if I could

My late OH loved pigs trotters, which I did cook for him as he had got a liking for them when he was in the RAF in Germany but I kept thinking of what they had been trotting around in and that put me off he also loved sprats, cooked complete in vinegar in the oven heads ,tails the lot he scoffed .

The smell of mackerel that he caught when sea fishing always reminded me of ammonia from babies nappies

I wonder what the next food fad will be, no doubt something quite unpronounceable.

Been interesting to see what peoples different likes and dislikes were though Good job we are not all the same
    Last edited by JackieO; 12-07-2017 at 5:02 PM.
    • Spendless
    • By Spendless 12th Jul 17, 5:12 PM
    • 19,428 Posts
    • 31,432 Thanks
    Spendless
    I'm surprised you think of 'stir fry' as Chinese food Jackie. I wonder if you you are thinking of the water chestnuts and beansprouts that are often found in commercial packets or on a take-away menu and they either don't appeal or you dislike them. Stir fry is just small bits of veg (any, but typically peppers, onions, mushrooms, cabbage) and small bits of any meat. Then add a sauce of your choice, doesn't have to be Chinese sweet and sour or hoisin you can make it anything you want or you can keep it plain if you prefer. It's a great way of using up small amounts of things.

For myself, I'm not confident about fish and reluctant to order at a restaurant in case I dislike it.

Olives I can't abide. That's something I find overrated and just trendy to eat.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 12th Jul 17, 5:14 PM
    • 59,634 Posts
    • 348,388 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    .... if it's not so good, well I just won't bother again(I'll be honest, I find the idea of deciding you won't like something before you even try it completely incomprehensible). ...
    Originally posted by Ginmonster
    Because if you buy something you don't like, you still have to eat it all. Instead of all those horrid meals you've now got to eat, you could be eating something you KNOW you like.

If you go to all the effort of cooking, then get it on the plate and hate it you're sitting there hungry, tired, with an inedible meal in front of you, you can't cook something else as you spent your money on this stuff....and you know that not only do you now have to force-feed it to yourself .... but you've got more to eat that might be another 4-10 meals worth.

Because ... you can't simply have a teaspoon of something to taste and walk away if you hate it. You have to commit to buying something ...a whole something.... and then eat/use it all up.
    • Islandmaid
    • By Islandmaid 12th Jul 17, 5:15 PM
    • 2,214 Posts
    • 32,623 Thanks
    Islandmaid
    Can't stand Marzipan - bleughhhhh yuk - love almonds though, weird...

Also not a fan of Sweet and savoury mixed - saltanas in curries etc

Also drinks that are 'goopy' Baileys and smoothies - it's a texture thing

Pasta - not a massive fan, but do eat occasionally as others in the family like it.

Feet in general are gross too tried pigs trotters and chicken feet - gelatinous and not pleasant

Never tried or even see tripe 'face to face' seen it on TV - I will skip that pleasure I think
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!

Sept GC £250/£0.00
    • Hermia
    • By Hermia 12th Jul 17, 5:26 PM
    • 4,076 Posts
    • 10,896 Thanks
    Hermia
    I'm surprised you think of 'stir fry' as Chinese food Jackie. I wonder if you you are thinking of the water chestnuts and beansprouts that are often found in commercial packets or on a take-away menu and they either don't appeal or you dislike them. Stir fry is just small bits of veg (any, but typically peppers, onions, mushrooms, cabbage) and small bits of any meat. Then add a sauce of your choice, doesn't have to be Chinese sweet and sour or hoisin you can make it anything you want or you can keep it plain if you prefer. It's a great way of using up small amounts of things.
    Originally posted by Spendless
    I agree. I often make it as a side to use up all the odd bits of veg I have. I have a bottle of flavoured stir-fry oil so I don't even need a sauce when I am just making it as a veggie side.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 12th Jul 17, 5:27 PM
    • 59,634 Posts
    • 348,388 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    Ah, since I posted, more ideas.... I'll add to my won't/haven't list:

mussels, kale, artichokes, fennel, seafood (except crabs), blue cheese, jellied eels, celery, almonds, oysters, black pudding, snails, olives, tinned fish (mackerel, sardines, similar), haggis, marzipan, smoothies.

And, strangely, cream - I was put off that as a child when it was a creamy blob at the top of a pint of milk. I don't mind if there's a bit in a meal, hidden, but I've never bought any cream myself, ever.

On the other hand, I can't abide skimmed/semi-skimmed milk.... it's just "not right" to me; I buy blue-top full cream milk.... which doesn't separate like it used to in the 1960s.

I, too, never eat stir fry - it's a trend from the late 1980s and to me isn't really "food" it's just a bunch of stuff tossed around in the pan for awhile and very unsatisfying. It comes under my heading of "not really food, it's just cheap stuff tossed around and presented as something magical.... not proper food at all"
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 12th Jul 17, 5:37 PM
    • 13,173 Posts
    • 36,053 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    I'm pretty adventurous and virtually have a motto of trying anything new that comes near me.

I've not been a meat-eater for decades now (bar ***** that have accidentally served me food with meat in - though I hadnt requested it). When I was - I never had yukky type stuff - eg tripe/insects/jellied eels/snails/pigs trotters/anything in aspic.

I also never had anything that I would have eaten (ie it wasnt yukky) - but it was expensive. Thus first my parents couldnt afford it, then I couldnt afford it - so I've never had things like lobster or venison for instance.

I can't think of anything non-meat and non-fish that I wouldn't at least try.

....and yes I've probably tried out virtually every "fashionable" food and it's sitting there in my kitchen. Still summoning up my nerve to try spirulina and most varieties of seaweed - but I've experimented my way through pretty much everything else/decided I like it/it's there in my kitchen now.
    ploughing my own furrow...

No-one can make you feel inferior without your consent.
    • Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 12th Jul 17, 5:42 PM
    • 782 Posts
    • 6,305 Thanks
    Hollyharvey
    I'll try most things, but I won't try

Tripe
    quinoa (I don't like the sound of it)
    tofu

I don't like:
    most game
    pork, even the smell of it cooking makes me feel ill (although I do like sausages)
    radishes
    dates (including sticky toffee pudding)
    salted caramel, I don't like the salty/sweet thing.
    oysters

I'm sure that given a bit of time I could probably come up with a long list
    • Judi
    • By Judi 12th Jul 17, 5:51 PM
    • 14,932 Posts
    • 60,454 Thanks
    Judi
    Anything with a head on. I got given a rainbow trout once whole. I was heaving for hours.
    'Holy crap on a cracker!'
    • Hedgehog99
    • By Hedgehog99 12th Jul 17, 6:01 PM
    • 1,293 Posts
    • 2,681 Thanks
    Hedgehog99
    I love butternut squash risotto, so that's two of JackieO's "never cooks" in one meal!

I have never cooked a Sunday roast. I don't eat red meat, so that leaves chicken or turkey and, if I cook those, I have smaller portions than a whole bird. I'm also not a fan of the cabbage family, so a Wintertime roast is even more out of the question.

I've also never cooked a curry. I don't eat them either.
    • maman
    • By maman 12th Jul 17, 6:24 PM
    • 16,400 Posts
    • 98,011 Thanks
    maman
    Still summoning up my nerve to try spirulina and most varieties of seaweed - but I've experimented my way through pretty much everything else/decided I like it/it's there in my kitchen now.
    Originally posted by moneyistooshorttomention

I had samphire last week which is close to seaweed and enjoyed it.

And don't knock laverbread until you've tried it. With a plate of fried bacon and cockles it's yummy!
    • building with lego
    • By building with lego 12th Jul 17, 6:25 PM
    • 2,307 Posts
    • 5,661 Thanks
    building with lego
    I'm not even trying to make a list for A 'overrated' but will happily state that I simply will not entertain the idea of:

1. Mushrooms
    2. Offal
    and also
    3. Cooked brassicas (all of them, although coleslaw is delicious.)

There are other things, like Spam, squid, mussels, that I'm not keen on the idea of, but if you put it on my plate I'd have a go.
    They call me Dr Worm... I'm interested in things; I'm not a real doctor but I am a real worm.
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 12th Jul 17, 6:52 PM
    • 13,173 Posts
    • 36,053 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    I had samphire last week which is close to seaweed and enjoyed it.

And don't knock laverbread until you've tried it. With a plate of fried bacon and cockles it's yummy!
    Originally posted by maman
    I tried samphire and wasnt struck. It would be a starvation food in my book.

I've had laverbread as well - clue being = recently, ie since I moved to Wales. It's okay but nowt to write home about imo.
    ploughing my own furrow...

No-one can make you feel inferior without your consent.
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 12th Jul 17, 7:42 PM
    • 6,931 Posts
    • 18,578 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    Positively will not try: kidneys. I did my O level biology, I know what they do, & you're not convincing me they're a foodstuff by contaminating chunks of steak with their proximity.
    Nor tripe, by repute. "Boiled knitting", apparently - if you're prepared to (convincingly) disguise it as haggis, I'm fine though.

Frankly cannot be bothered to cook: Cauliflower cheese. I can make a glorious cheese sauce. Just I have 4 menfolk in the house who presented with a cauliflower suddenly have a passionate urge to be in any other room, or indeed county. I pick my culinary fights carefully - even macaroni cheese has to have bacon added before they'll eat it.

A bit leery of: Chilli.
    I like flavour, not having my entrails scorched from tastebuds all the way through...

Other than that, I will give most food a bash - including kale. (Tell you it's a brilliant diet food - it's So Good for you, you only want to eat a few bites before you feel you've had enough to eat!)
    • Judi
    • By Judi 12th Jul 17, 7:52 PM
    • 14,932 Posts
    • 60,454 Thanks
    Judi
    Ive not tried sushi.... or butternut squash. The nearest i came to pumpkin was in a pie.

I had a sharon fruit the other week. I wasnt impressed.
    'Holy crap on a cracker!'
    • minimad1970
    • By minimad1970 12th Jul 17, 8:53 PM
    • 4,036 Posts
    • 8,559 Thanks
    minimad1970
    Sweetbreads and brawn. My grandad always had brawn in the fridge, it looked and smelt vile As for sweetbreads, they're glands, even the word makes me heave
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 12th Jul 17, 9:43 PM
    • 15,093 Posts
    • 122,407 Thanks
    JackieO
    My late ma-in law used to make brawn and my OH loved it but to me anything that has any jelly like substance in is not my cup of tea. Who remembers back in the late 1960s those awful tins of pink Olde Oak Ham that were sold at Christmas full of gelatine, yuk.

Unless of course its actually proper jelly and custard

I think the stir-fry thing is perhaps generational, as to me you fry eggs bacon and bangers, but not veg apart from mushrooms .My DDs eat it and enjoy it, but they are obviously a younger generation than I am. I dislike fried tomatoes as well tomatoes to me are cold sliced and in a salad. but then I also like tomatoes sliced up cold and sprinkled with sugar, something my late mum did to use up excess ones from the garden
    • GrowingPlants
    • By GrowingPlants 12th Jul 17, 9:53 PM
    • 39 Posts
    • 312 Thanks
    GrowingPlants
    Almonds, coconut and oysters are on my don't eat list.

It's strange cause I like Stolen but not marzipan.
    Not liking coconut can make choosing a curry when eating out difficult, so many have coconut milk in them.
    I have tried oysters once and won't bother again...gritty, slimy things.
    July 17 GC £61.44/£100
    August 17 GC £30.40/£50
    • Spendless
    • By Spendless 12th Jul 17, 10:03 PM
    • 19,428 Posts
    • 31,432 Thanks
    Spendless
    Because ... you can't simply have a teaspoon of something to taste and walk away if you hate it. You have to commit to buying something ...a whole something.... and then eat/use it all up.
    Originally posted by PasturesNew
    This is certainly why I've never tried some things. But I've discovered I like thai green curry (and prefer it to hot) because I tried it at a 'eat the world buffet'. If this wasn't something I was able to do though, I'd just have to remain none the wiser.
    • Gers
    • By Gers 12th Jul 17, 10:17 PM
    • 5,694 Posts
    • 32,872 Thanks
    Gers
    Will not eat:
    Fish of any type - yeugh
    The aforementioned tripe, kidney
    Honey
    Rabbit
    Cheese omelette- it's the texture not the ingredients

Will avoid if possible:
    Celery
    Jams
    Olives etc
    Pickled anything except Saurkraut

Not keen on but don't hate:
    Steak unless I cook it myself
    Beef generally

Really enjoy eating:
    Lamb
    Pork
    Chinese food
    Liver
    Cauliflower / leeks / peas / mange tout
    Eggs
    Chicken - not whole ones, too much faffing and pulling apart.
    Puddings
    Nuts
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,518Posts Today

6,263Users online

Martin's Twitter