Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • hoyalove
    • By hoyalove 12th Jul 17, 10:16 AM
    • 9Posts
    • 0Thanks
    hoyalove
    Rent to tenants with CCJ
    • 12th Jul 17, 10:16 AM
    Rent to tenants with CCJ 12th Jul 17 at 10:16 AM
    Hello,

I have no idea what to do in the situation I am facing now, and would like to seek for advice.

The tenants have been living in our property for a year and the contract is due to end this month. Last year, tenants paid a year rent upfront after selling their own house so there was no issue with paying the rent at all, and the house has been kept very clean despite of having three kids. But this year they want to pay the rent on a monthly basis, so we have gone through referencing company to check if they can afford and to go ahead with insurance company. Then we found out that tenants have around 1100 of unresolved CCJ from March this year and their incomes are not enough to pay the rent. *We found them through a local agency and did referencing - they did not have any issue earlier. Only we did not add up rent guarantee insurance as they paid upfront.

He has been working as a black cab driver, and recently found a new job to work at night. It seems like his income as a black cab driver cannot be proved well enough, and other income is also not enough to cover the rent (referencing company said income should be 2.5 higher than the rent to pass - and he did not write any income as a black cab driver). The tenants want to live in the property and we were happy with them, only till the time we found their income and CCJ record. We directly spoke to them about it and tenants said they were not aware of CCJ as their credit score shows 'FAIR' rating? They said they would bring a guarantor instead. Now we do not know if it is OK to accept them for a new contract or if we are taking a high risk.

Last edited by hoyalove; 12-07-2017 at 10:37 AM. Reason: add
Page 2
    • sheff6107
    • By sheff6107 12th Jul 17, 8:05 PM
    • 439 Posts
    • 293 Thanks
    sheff6107
    "they were not aware of CCJ as their credit score shows 'FAIR' rating?"

They're either ignorant or know full well and don't care. You need to find out which because I would be on pins every month expecting no rent payment in either scenario. Otherwise, what was the point of the check?
    • FBaby
    • By FBaby 12th Jul 17, 9:08 PM
    • 15,941 Posts
    • 39,731 Thanks
    FBaby
    its very possible the court papers went to their old address and this is the first they've heard of it
    Originally posted by Guest101
    It's possiblke but so is that they are just not good at budgeting and prioritising their finances. I don't think it is common for responsible people to end up with ccjs by surprise.
    • macman
    • By macman 12th Jul 17, 10:18 PM
    • 41,321 Posts
    • 16,984 Thanks
    macman
    If a guarantor can be put in place, then you are in a pretty safe position should the worst happen.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop
    • gycraig
    • By gycraig 12th Jul 17, 10:25 PM
    • 389 Posts
    • 275 Thanks
    gycraig
    It's getting more and more common for people to have ccjs for stupidly low amounts.
    I got a ccj from a parking ticket it might be something as petty as that

Ultimately they are already in the property and process is the same whether you just boot them out or they start missing payments, id personally just see how it goes don't want all the stress of kicking out what may be good tenants.
    • hoyalove
    • By hoyalove 13th Jul 17, 9:27 AM
    • 9 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    hoyalove
    When you say YOU hold 6 weeks of deposit, I'm assuming (and hoping) you mean that you took reciept of the money then placed it into a deposit scheme?
    Originally posted by sacha28
    Yes I put deposit through agency and followed deposit scheme
    • hoyalove
    • By hoyalove 13th Jul 17, 9:35 AM
    • 9 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    hoyalove
    its very possible the court papers went to their old address and this is the first they've heard of it
    No this was searched through current address by referencing company.
    • Guest101
    • By Guest101 13th Jul 17, 9:39 AM
    • 15,142 Posts
    • 14,760 Thanks
    Guest101
    No this was searched through current address by referencing company.
    Originally posted by hoyalove

I suspect that's not what happened. Without being funny, you don't seem to be too aware of how these things work.

If this is the first they've heard of it, it's unlikely the court paperwork was sent to the address
    • Guest101
    • By Guest101 13th Jul 17, 9:41 AM
    • 15,142 Posts
    • 14,760 Thanks
    Guest101
    It's possiblke but so is that they are just not good at budgeting and prioritising their finances. I don't think it is common for responsible people to end up with ccjs by surprise.
    Originally posted by FBaby
    I've got a CCJ, it was taken out in 2013, didn't have a clue. 4.5 years later I find out when HCEO write to me.

The debt is from over 6 years ago, and was settled.

Sometimes unscrupulous companies act like this.
    • hoyalove
    • By hoyalove 13th Jul 17, 10:37 AM
    • 9 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    hoyalove
    I suspect that's not what happened. Without being funny, you don't seem to be too aware of how these things work.

If this is the first they've heard of it, it's unlikely the court paperwork was sent to the address
    You can search the CCJ record through register of judgement by putting matching address. There is no possibility that the court send a notice to an old address and put CCJ record into current address.
    • Guest101
    • By Guest101 13th Jul 17, 10:45 AM
    • 15,142 Posts
    • 14,760 Thanks
    Guest101
    You can search the CCJ record through register of judgement by putting matching address. There is no possibility that the court send a notice to an old address and put CCJ record into current address.

1: You wouldn't unless you suspected or knew you had a CCJ
    2: It's more than just a matching address!
    3: Ok im sure you know better, which is why you're here....
    • FBaby
    • By FBaby 13th Jul 17, 10:52 AM
    • 15,941 Posts
    • 39,731 Thanks
    FBaby
    In the end, it's up to OP whether they consider the ccj a red herrings and indication of potential problem, or whether they are likely to just be unlucky and unlikely to be poor payers. Statistically, it's much more likely to be the former, but only OP's tenant will know.
    • hoyalove
    • By hoyalove 13th Jul 17, 10:53 AM
    • 9 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    hoyalove
    1: You wouldn't unless you suspected or knew you had a CCJ
    2: It's more than just a matching address!
    3: Ok im sure you know better, which is why you're here....

Surely it is more than a matching address to find the info to make sure that it belongs to him.
    And you would know if you had searched it yourself.
    I do not know why you are so sure that court notice was sent to wrong address!
    After all this was not the subject to discuss whether he received or not in this thread.
    • Guest101
    • By Guest101 13th Jul 17, 11:03 AM
    • 15,142 Posts
    • 14,760 Thanks
    Guest101
    Surely it is more than a matching address to find the info to make sure that it belongs to him.
    And you would know if you had searched it yourself.
    I do not know why you are so sure that court notice was sent to wrong address!
    After all this was not the subject to discuss whether he received or not in this thread.
    1: A CCJ has a name on it, so the referencing agent will look out for names on CCJs which are registered for the addresses, previous and present.
    2: Do you often check the register? Most people check credit reports, which don't always show a CCJ.
    3: I'm not 'sure', im just saying that the vast majority of CCJs are issued in default, usually because the papers are sent to the wrong address.
    4: I think I covered your actual question in my first reply.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,681Posts Today

8,513Users online

Martin's Twitter