Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Hartley971
    • By Hartley971 12th Jul 17, 9:51 AM
    • 3Posts
    • 1Thanks
    Hartley971
    Call from TNC
    • 12th Jul 17, 9:51 AM
    Call from TNC 12th Jul 17 at 9:51 AM
    Please could I have some advice re my situation, I have not been able to find anything similar so far....

Recently I received a call on my mobile from a man introducing himself as being from TNC and wishing to speak to me about an issue being taken to small claims court. I told him I was at work and couldn't talk (true) at which point he was rude so I hung up.
    I have since looked up TNC and now know it must be related to parking.
    The issue is I have no idea what they are referring to. I moved from old address over 2 years ago and it is my old address that he quoted. Unfortunately due to life getting in the way I have never got round to changing my driving licence address (form has been requested to do so now) and so I'm presuming any correspondence went to my old address. I did have my post redirected for several months and have asked my old neighbour if there have been any letters recently but she has said not that knows of (I'm sure they are now returned to sender or discarded of).
    Please could I have some advice what to do, should I:
    a) send a letter to TNC advising of new address
    b) answer call and speak to them next time they call to get some more info
    c) ignore altogether
    d) is there a way I can find out if there is a small claims case being made against me?

I have no idea how they got my mobile number??

Your advice will be much appreciated
Page 1
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 12th Jul 17, 9:58 AM
    • 32,780 Posts
    • 16,805 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 12th Jul 17, 9:58 AM
    • 12th Jul 17, 9:58 AM
    Before starting a new thread everyone is politely asked to read the newbies FAQ thread near the top of the forum.

You have been contacted by a debt collector. You can ignore them and block their calls.

Go to experian or noodle etc to check your credit record
    • The Deep
    • By The Deep 12th Jul 17, 10:04 AM
    • 7,004 Posts
    • 6,074 Thanks
    The Deep
    • 12th Jul 17, 10:04 AM
    • 12th Jul 17, 10:04 AM
    Due to "life getting in the way" you may now have a County Court Judgement. This is something you may need to devote some serious attention to. Start by reading threads on here about dealing with existing CCJs and update all vehicle paperwork immediately, it is the law.
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 12th Jul 17, 11:23 AM
    • 3,186 Posts
    • 3,225 Thanks
    DoaM
    • 12th Jul 17, 11:23 AM
    • 12th Jul 17, 11:23 AM
    You say you haven't changed address on your driving licence. What about change of address for your V5C vehicle registration? (That's the one that matters with respect to small claims and parking).

Failing to change address (to a serviceable address) for your driving licence could land you with a real fine of £1,000 plus costs.

https://www.gov.uk/dvla-change-address
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
    • Hartley971
    • By Hartley971 12th Jul 17, 12:37 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Hartley971
    • 12th Jul 17, 12:37 PM
    • 12th Jul 17, 12:37 PM
    Thank you, checked credit report and no CCJ's thankfully!
    • Hartley971
    • By Hartley971 12th Jul 17, 12:39 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Hartley971
    • 12th Jul 17, 12:39 PM
    • 12th Jul 17, 12:39 PM
    The car I had at my old address I no longer have. I have had 2 vehicles since then both registered to myself at my new address.
    Have no idea which car/where/when this parking issue is for??
    • IamEmanresu
    • By IamEmanresu 12th Jul 17, 12:45 PM
    • 1,480 Posts
    • 2,755 Thanks
    IamEmanresu
    • 12th Jul 17, 12:45 PM
    • 12th Jul 17, 12:45 PM
    There are two rules in life.

One is being nice to your mum. The second and more important one is never call a "debt collector" or that nice stranger that wants to talk to me.
    Life's for living, get on with it rather than worrying about these. If they hassle, counter claim.
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 12th Jul 17, 12:59 PM
    • 3,186 Posts
    • 3,225 Thanks
    DoaM
    • 12th Jul 17, 12:59 PM
    • 12th Jul 17, 12:59 PM
    The car I had at my old address I no longer have. I have had 2 vehicles since then both registered to myself at my new address.
    Originally posted by Hartley971
    For the cars you no longer have, have you received confirmation from DVLA for change of owner?
    Diary of a madman
    Entries of confusion
    • hoohoo
    • By hoohoo 12th Jul 17, 1:34 PM
    • 1,673 Posts
    • 3,097 Thanks
    hoohoo
    • 12th Jul 17, 1:34 PM
    • 12th Jul 17, 1:34 PM
    Also, have you updated your driving licence details.

If TNC contact you again, I would politely ask them to put everything in writing. If they ask for your address, then its up to you. Not giving them the address MIGHT end up with a CCJ at your old address. Giving them your address MIGHT mean loads of letters arriving.

I would start by getting them to confirm your old address to make sure you are the right person. If they can't or won't do this then that is probably the end of the conversation.

Then ask then to confirm your new address. They should have this from a tracing agency (which is how they got your phone).

Up to you whether you then correct them or not.
    Dedicated to driving up standards in parking
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 12th Jul 17, 1:39 PM
    • 3,186 Posts
    • 3,225 Thanks
    DoaM
    Also, have you updated your driving licence details.
    Originally posted by hoohoo
    It says in the OP ... no they haven't (yet) and are doing so now.
    Diary of a madman
    Entries of confusion
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

444Posts Today

3,834Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin