Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Kazann69
    • By Kazann69 12th Jul 17, 9:45 AM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Kazann69
    SmartParking Fines for Inverness Car Park
    • 12th Jul 17, 9:45 AM
    SmartParking Fines for Inverness Car Park 12th Jul 17 at 9:45 AM
    This is my first time using this forum and would appreciate any help or advice you can give. We visited Inverness town centre in April this year. We parked our car in the car park behind the train station and purchased a ticket for 2 hours. Our problem is that when I paid for the ticket I didn't enter our registration no (why would the machine allow me to purchase a ticket without entering the reg no?),I noticed after I pressed the "issue ticket" button that there was a keypad to enter the registration no. I didn't think anything of it to be honest until a couple of weeks later a letter has come through the post showing pictures of us entering and leaving the car park 90 mins later and in their opinion without paying. Unfortunately as we had been camping our car was full of rubbish so once we were home my husband gave the car a good clean, hence, we have no proof of the ticket
    However, we have appealed this fine twice now and twice they have rejected it, so now they are asking for immediate payment. We asked them to provide us with CCTV footage so we could prove we paid at the machine but they say there are no cameras on site? If this is the case how come they have photos of us entering and leaving this car park? I am really angry at this fine and really don't want to have to pay for it but at the same time I'm worried it will escalate into something more which I want to avoid. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Page 1
    • waamo
    • By waamo 12th Jul 17, 9:50 AM
    • 2,090 Posts
    • 2,495 Thanks
    waamo
    • 12th Jul 17, 9:50 AM
    Is this a council or private ticket? If it is a private company which one?
    This space for hire.
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 12th Jul 17, 9:50 AM
    • 33,227 Posts
    • 17,175 Thanks
    Quentin
    Everyone is politely asked to read the newbies FAQ thread near the top of the forum before starting a new thread. You will find good news about pcns issued in Scotland assuming yours is from a ppc not the council

You need to edit your post to remove details of who was driving.

As long as you haven't already done so to the PPC when contacting them!!
    • pogofish
    • By pogofish 12th Jul 17, 10:50 AM
    • 7,756 Posts
    • 7,847 Thanks
    pogofish
    • 12th Jul 17, 10:50 AM
    • 12th Jul 17, 10:50 AM
    Is this Strothers Lane..?

If so, there are several threads here telling you exactly what to do - and take heed of the Scotland-specific advice in the Newbies Sticky too.

I'll be looking forward to see if I get a ticket there soon. Three times now I've not been lucky!
    • Herzlos
    • By Herzlos 12th Jul 17, 11:08 AM
    • 5,956 Posts
    • 5,417 Thanks
    Herzlos
    • 12th Jul 17, 11:08 AM
    • 12th Jul 17, 11:08 AM
    Have you identified the driver in any way?
    In either case, ignore the parking company and any debt collectors. It's very unlikely to go anywhere and you can defend if they tried to take it to court.

The photos are from an ANPR system on entry/exit; a camera took a photo of you enter, with timetstamp and recorded your vehicle reg, and did the same on exit. Since there was no reg on the ticket the system didn't find a match and issued the invoice. The reason the system lets you buy a ticket without entering a valid reg number is purely so the system will fail to find a match and issue a ticket - it's in their interests to fire out these spurious invoices.
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 12th Jul 17, 3:01 PM
    • 51,452 Posts
    • 65,047 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    • 12th Jul 17, 3:01 PM
    • 12th Jul 17, 3:01 PM
    However, we have appealed this fine twice now and twice they have rejected it,
    You didn't go and tell them who was driving, did you...? Not in Scotland, obvs. I hope you said 'we' in the appeal and not 'I parked and then I did this'.

We asked them to provide us with CCTV footage so we could prove we paid at the machine but they say there are no cameras on site? If this is the case how come they have photos of us entering and leaving this car park?
    There aren't any CCTV cameras pointing at the machine. They use ANPR (numberplate cameras only).

Please, read the NEWBIES thread as you should have done before posting. Scotland is covered already, you should never have appealed. Ignore them unless they try a small claim in the Sheriff's court (defendable).
    Last edited by Coupon-mad; 12-07-2017 at 3:04 PM.
    PRIVATE PCN? DON'T PAY BUT DO NOT IGNORE IT TWO Clicks needed for advice:
    Top of the page: Home>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking - read the 'NEWBIES' FAQS thread!
    Advice to ignore is WRONG, unless in Scotland/NI.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,116Posts Today

6,902Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I believe I can boldly go where no twitter poll has gone before https://t.co/HA0jC92gAK

• OK I'm wilting to public pressure and there will be a star trek captain's poll at some point next week

• I can get that. My order is 1. Picard 2. Janeway 3. Kirk. Too early to say where Lorca will end up (or would you? https://t.co/kawtCOe9RA

• Follow Martin