Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Froggitt
    • By Froggitt 12th Jul 17, 8:54 AM
    • 5,787Posts
    • 3,063Thanks
    Froggitt
    Email spam
    • 12th Jul 17, 8:54 AM
    Email spam 12th Jul 17 at 8:54 AM
    Don't you hate those emails that say
    You've received this message because you've indicated an interest in receiving information and special offers from Pulte Homes, Del Webb, John Wieland Homes and Neighborhoods or Centex via email
    Yeah right, I really signed up for a mailing list for million dollar houses in https://www.pulte.com/homes/california/northern-california/san-mateo/promenade-209763

I am reliably informed that Pulte Homes by the time they wake up in a few hours time, will be the proud owners of 5,000 brand spanking new spam emails. Not just one time emails, but on 5,000 mailing lists that will all be periodically emailing them stuff about de-fleeing their dogs, replacing their windows, magic moneytree schemes, mastering guitar playing, international brides, member extensions, stiffening pills etc etc etc.

In return for spamming me, they are now being spammed. Maybe next time they will think harder about buying mailing lists and pretending that the recipients have signed up for their information.

I could not possibly condone using this service http://www.mailbait.info/run.html for a similar spamming exercise. Either to pulte@pulte.com or to a spammer of your choice. No, no, no. Don't do it. No really, don't do it. I'm not doing it. No really I'm not. And you shouldn't do it either. Really.
    illegitimi non carborundum
Page 2
    • pmduk
    • By pmduk 15th Jul 17, 10:13 AM
    • 7,506 Posts
    • 5,404 Thanks
    pmduk
    It might have been more constructive to email the local Better Business Bureau covering their area
    • angryparcel
    • By angryparcel 15th Jul 17, 10:15 AM
    • 910 Posts
    • 519 Thanks
    angryparcel
    I suspect theyve bought an email list, being told it is a few thousand qualified potential expensive home buyers in California.

They wont be buying any more such lists.
    Originally posted by Froggitt
    No they would have bought a list that would just be potential house buyers, people only get on these lists if they have signed up for something or bought something and not opted out of details being passed onto 3rd parties.
    • Froggitt
    • By Froggitt 15th Jul 17, 11:19 AM
    • 5,787 Posts
    • 3,063 Thanks
    Froggitt
    No they would have bought a list that would just be potential house buyers, people only get on these lists if they have signed up for something or bought something and not opted out of details being passed onto 3rd parties.
    Originally posted by angryparcel
    No. Unscrupulous list makers will add random emails to their list just to bump up the numbers that they have to sell. I can assume you I did not sign up to receive info on houses in California.
    Last edited by Froggitt; 15-07-2017 at 11:22 AM.
    • angryparcel
    • By angryparcel 15th Jul 17, 11:32 AM
    • 910 Posts
    • 519 Thanks
    angryparcel
    No. Unscrupulous list makers will add random emails to their list just to bump up the numbers that they have to sell. I can assume you I did not sign up to receive info on houses in California.
    you dont need to sign up for info on houses in california.

I can now go and buy a mailing list of Australian emails in relation to my business, it is just your name been added to a list of someone interested in property
    • Froggitt
    • By Froggitt 15th Jul 17, 7:58 PM
    • 5,787 Posts
    • 3,063 Thanks
    Froggitt
    you dont need to sign up for info on houses in california.

I can now go and buy a mailing list of Australian emails in relation to my business, it is just your name been added to a list of someone interested in property
    Maybe it has. However the original email from them said
    You've received this message because you've indicated an interest in receiving information and special offers from Pulte Homes, Del Webb, John Wieland Homes and Neighborhoods or Centex via email
    They appear to have bought a generic property email list, as you state.

They therefore need to be punished for lying. Eye for an eye, tooth for a tooth, email for an email.
    • angryparcel
    • By angryparcel 15th Jul 17, 8:26 PM
    • 910 Posts
    • 519 Thanks
    angryparcel
    Maybe it has. However the original email from them said
    They appear to have bought a generic property email list, as you state.

They therefore need to be punished for lying. Eye for an eye, tooth for a tooth, email for an email.
    but then you have to also make sure you op out of anything when you order goods only, as this is how you will have ended up on a mailing list.

some will say tick a box and some will say untick a box.

If you know where to look you can buy these mailing lists for as little as £5 for 10,000 contacts
    • Le_Kirk
    • By Le_Kirk 16th Jul 17, 10:55 AM
    • 2,135 Posts
    • 1,081 Thanks
    Le_Kirk
    some will say tick a box and some will say untick a box.
    ............ and some will send you junk email anyway whether you tick the box or untick the box!
    • angryparcel
    • By angryparcel 16th Jul 17, 12:29 PM
    • 910 Posts
    • 519 Thanks
    angryparcel
    ............ and some will send you junk email anyway whether you tick the box or untick the box!
    Originally posted by Le_Kirk
    and if they are UK based then you report them to the ICO under Data Protection Act, outside of the UK then you have little chance.
    ticking or unticking the box only tells them if you are OK or not for them to pass your details on. 9/10 people end on lists as they dont opt out.
    no standard format is the issue as some you tick box to opt out and some you untick box to opt out and then it is usually is small print
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

314Posts Today

3,846Users online

Martin's Twitter