Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • suzy5546
    • By suzy5546 12th Jul 17, 8:24 AM
    • 5Posts
    • 1Thanks
    suzy5546
    Rent guarantor
    • 12th Jul 17, 8:24 AM
    Rent guarantor 12th Jul 17 at 8:24 AM
    My husband acted as a guarantor for his daughter's rent.

Last night the agent emailed him and said she hasn't paid for 3 months :-(. He will have to pay , but what actually happens next , will there be a ccj against him , is his credit rating effected or will it be a black mark against her credit rating though he will pay the debt ?
    TIA
Page 2
    • Murphybear
    • By Murphybear 12th Jul 17, 12:19 PM
    • 3,284 Posts
    • 6,780 Thanks
    Murphybear
    The landlord/agent is supposed to inform the guarantor as soon as the tenant stops paying.
    • G_M
    • By G_M 12th Jul 17, 12:40 PM
    • 42,221 Posts
    • 49,016 Thanks
    G_M
    A thought. Would it be reasonable for the guarantor to offer to pay but only once the final total is known, ie tenant evicted and costs added on? That would keep an incentive for the LL to evict (so they get their money) but doesn't expose the guarantor to endless liability? I don't know how that would go down in court though!
    Originally posted by Rosemary7391
    He can offer.

I doubt the LL would accept. The LL has the option of

* guarantor paying rent arrears at some indeterninate time in the future, perhaps after time-consuming legal action and/or eviction proceedings, or

* forcing the guarantor (an/or tenant) to pay arrears immediately

Which would you choose.....?
    • Rosemary7391
    • By Rosemary7391 12th Jul 17, 1:05 PM
    • 1,836 Posts
    • 3,190 Thanks
    Rosemary7391
    He can offer.

I doubt the LL would accept. The LL has the option of

* guarantor paying rent arrears at some indeterninate time in the future, perhaps after time-consuming legal action and/or eviction proceedings, or

* forcing the guarantor (an/or tenant) to pay arrears immediately

Which would you choose.....?
    Originally posted by G_M
    I guess. I'm never going to sign up to an open ended guarantor agreement! If I want to offer to pay someone's rent, I'll just pay it or insist that it's written into the agreement that the tenancy must be ended before I pay anything (obv anything includes eviction costs). I assume that can be done if agreed up front?

It does sit poorly with me that a tenant and landlord might expect a third party to pay up indefinitely even if the agreement is worded such that it's possible. I'd definitely try and come to an agreement with the landlord that encourages the ending of the tenancy, if the tenant is unwilling to rectify the situation.
    Me escondo detras de mi lengua... tengo miedo de que me entiendas... pero me gustara que me entendases ¡Ayudame!
    • Guest101
    • By Guest101 12th Jul 17, 1:16 PM
    • 15,118 Posts
    • 14,765 Thanks
    Guest101
    I guess. I'm never going to sign up to an open ended guarantor agreement! If I want to offer to pay someone's rent, I'll just pay it or insist that it's written into the agreement that the tenancy must be ended before I pay anything (obv anything includes eviction costs). I assume that can be done if agreed up front? - why would a ll accept that?

It does sit poorly with me that a tenant and landlord might expect a third party to pay up indefinitely even if the agreement is worded such that it's possible. I'd definitely try and come to an agreement with the landlord that encourages the ending of the tenancy, if the tenant is unwilling to rectify the situation.
    because the tenant and guarantor are supposed to trust one another.
    • ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    • By ScorpiondeRooftrouser 12th Jul 17, 1:24 PM
    • 2,100 Posts
    • 3,127 Thanks
    ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    I guess. I'm never going to sign up to an open ended guarantor agreement! If I want to offer to pay someone's rent, I'll just pay it or insist that it's written into the agreement that the tenancy must be ended before I pay anything (obv anything includes eviction costs). I assume that can be done if agreed up front?

What you say you would offer simply isn't what people are looking for when they seek a guarantor. By all means stick to your guns and refuse to be one, it is eminently sensible, but don't be under the impression that offering this instead would ever be of any use.
    • cjdavies
    • By cjdavies 12th Jul 17, 2:10 PM
    • 2,835 Posts
    • 2,869 Thanks
    cjdavies
    My husband acted as a guarantor for his daughter's rent.

Last night the agent emailed him and said she hasn't paid for 3 months :-(. He will have to pay , but what actually happens next , will there be a ccj against him , is his credit rating effected or will it be a black mark against her credit rating though he will pay the debt ?
    TIA
    Originally posted by suzy5546
    Quoting for reference in case this disappears, can be very helpful to future people asking if they would be one for their children and others saying you should as it's your child. Like one recently with regards to uni.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

224Posts Today

1,475Users online

Martin's Twitter