Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Smb3088
    • By Smb3088 12th Jul 17, 8:09 AM
    • 193Posts
    • 22Thanks
    Smb3088
    Indemnity Policy Question?
    • 12th Jul 17, 8:09 AM
    Indemnity Policy Question? 12th Jul 17 at 8:09 AM
    I'm nearing the exchange and completion stage. One final issue is upvc I got installed a year ago and never got a liscense/from the freeholder or fensa certificate. I got double doors and 2 Windows replaced as my existing wooden doors were rotten. The other sides solicitors are requesting certificates.
    I don't have them. So I was asked to take out an indemnity policy.
    My solicitor has done this, but having such awful Conveyancers they don't explain it to me.
    Will this protect me/ be adequate ?
    Does the idemnity policy cover me, or is it taken out for the doors and windows? As the conveyancer said, "are you willing to pay for an idemnity policy for the windows." I'm scared she's taken it out but not for the doors too? Someone please explain ,,will I need to take out one for the window and one for the doors too. Or is it a one off payment covering me?
Page 1
    • Surrey_EA
    • By Surrey_EA 12th Jul 17, 8:23 AM
    • 1,056 Posts
    • 1,249 Thanks
    Surrey_EA
    • 12th Jul 17, 8:23 AM
    • 12th Jul 17, 8:23 AM
    It's not really to protect you, it is to protect your buyer, or more their mortgage lender, from the exceptionally unlikely chance that the council decide to take enforcement action against them, once they have taken ownership of the property, for not having any paperwork to confirm the windows and doors were installed correctly.

It is a one off payment and should cover both windows and doors.
    • Smb3088
    • By Smb3088 13th Jul 17, 8:38 PM
    • 193 Posts
    • 22 Thanks
    Smb3088
    • 13th Jul 17, 8:38 PM
    • 13th Jul 17, 8:38 PM
    Thanks for answering this. Will an idemnity policy be adequate also for the sake of having no liscense for replacements with the freeholder. As at time of installation I never applied to the freeholder. Can the idemnity policy cover for this purpose to ?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,665Posts Today

8,506Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin