Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Gastines3
    • By Gastines3 12th Jul 17, 7:35 AM
    • 108Posts
    • 46Thanks
    Gastines3
    New Gas supply?
    • 12th Jul 17, 7:35 AM
    New Gas supply? 12th Jul 17 at 7:35 AM
    Ant advice appreciated.Buying bungalow approx 65 yrs old in an established road with properties each side with a supply. This place hasn't been touched for 50+ years and has no gas supply. I have a Qualified Gas fitter/plumber I've used for years and am capable of doing most donkey work but would appreciate any tips on time or cash savings on this job.
Page 1
    • Doozergirl
    • By Doozergirl 12th Jul 17, 9:08 AM
    • 23,745 Posts
    • 66,079 Thanks
    Doozergirl
    • 12th Jul 17, 9:08 AM
    • 12th Jul 17, 9:08 AM
    It needs to be started by Cadent.

If you go onto the 'get connected' part of Cadent website, they have a quoting facility. It will show you where the main is.

Let us know what that comes back with. A basic connection is about £600.

I won't advise on anything inside the house. Better people here for that than me.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
    • Furts
    • By Furts 12th Jul 17, 9:46 AM
    • 3,473 Posts
    • 2,173 Thanks
    Furts
    • 12th Jul 17, 9:46 AM
    • 12th Jul 17, 9:46 AM
    If you are able to dig the trench, to the meter box, at the right depth, right bedding, right protection, right backfill, with warning tape... basically all to specification you may be able to negotiate a cheaper connection.

You will not be able to dig down on the gas main as this is probably in an adopted area. But if you have a groundworker with the ticket and insurance for this then it is also a possibility - you could also use them for the trench to the bungalow.
    • Gastines3
    • By Gastines3 12th Jul 17, 2:53 PM
    • 108 Posts
    • 46 Thanks
    Gastines3
    • 12th Jul 17, 2:53 PM
    • 12th Jul 17, 2:53 PM
    thanks for info.I was unaware that insurance etc was required for trenching on own land. I used to do major interior re-furbs in London and get in Trades as required but my usual workforce is now like me,old.Had a few shocks when asking for usual day rates.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

444Posts Today

3,834Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin