Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • gilbutre
    • By gilbutre 11th Jul 17, 11:07 PM
    • 351Posts
    • 60Thanks
    gilbutre
    Would a 550W SDS drill suffice?
    • 11th Jul 17, 11:07 PM
    Would a 550W SDS drill suffice? 11th Jul 17 at 11:07 PM
    The exterior walls of my house are too hard for a simple hammer drill , they require a SDS / rotary hammer drill. I had a 900W one that drilled these walls like butter but it's dead now. I'm considering buying a model from a better brand (Bosch, my previous one was from some obscure Homebase brand and of some horrible quality) but which is only 550W.

Question: is a 550W SDS drill likely to suffice for drilling my walls? I have no idea what they're made of, concrete I suppose? The only clue I have is: the 900W had really NO difficulty whatsoever drilling in them.
Page 1
    • stator
    • By stator 12th Jul 17, 12:41 AM
    • 5,619 Posts
    • 3,578 Thanks
    stator
    • 12th Jul 17, 12:41 AM
    • 12th Jul 17, 12:41 AM
    Assuming it is conrete and just a normal SDS masonry drill bit you're using (not a core drill!!!!) then it should be perfect!
    Changing the world, one sarcastic comment at a time.
    • Ruski
    • By Ruski 12th Jul 17, 7:40 AM
    • 1,336 Posts
    • 781 Thanks
    Ruski
    • 12th Jul 17, 7:40 AM
    • 12th Jul 17, 7:40 AM
    I use a cordless Bosch SDS which I've yet to defeat, and it's only an 18v version.

It's not necessarily about power - more the fact it's SDS - far more grunt than a traditional hammer drill.

I would have no worries about a 550w machine.

HTH

Russ
    Perfection takes time: don't expect miracles in a day
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

117Posts Today

1,516Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin