Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • WaltonVale
    • By WaltonVale 11th Jul 17, 11:04 PM
    • 33Posts
    • 9Thanks
    WaltonVale
    Separating from husband - advice needed
    • 11th Jul 17, 11:04 PM
    Separating from husband - advice needed 11th Jul 17 at 11:04 PM
    Hi folks,

I am hoping I can get some advice from people on here as I have spent hours in the net and still don't know what I am doing.

Essentially I am separating from my husband (aged 64). I am the breadwinner, he is unable to work and has not worked for years due to health issues. He has not claimed any benefits for the past 3 years as my earnings has been too high to claim anything.

I am leaving and the 2 children (3&9) will be staying in the marital home (rented HA if that makes a difference) with him. I am going to rent a house close by.

Obviously I will be paying CM and currently I receive the CB which I will transfer to him. I have found a property and will being moving into it at the start of August.

We have no savings at all. We live in a Universal Credit area.
    Is there anything he can do between now and the start of August to get a benefit claim underway? I understand that it takes 6 weeks for it to be processed and then it is not back dated.

Can anyone offer any advice?
    Thanks for reading - The Waltons
Page 1
    • *max*
    • By *max* 12th Jul 17, 4:03 AM
    • 2,801 Posts
    • 13,152 Thanks
    *max*
    • 12th Jul 17, 4:03 AM
    • 12th Jul 17, 4:03 AM
    Hi folks,

I am hoping I can get some advice from people on here as I have spent hours in the net and still don't know what I am doing.

Essentially I am separating from my husband (aged 64). I am the breadwinner, he is unable to work and has not worked for years due to health issues. He has not claimed any benefits for the past 3 years as my earnings has been too high to claim anything.

I am leaving and the 2 children (3&9) will be staying in the marital home (rented HA if that makes a difference) with him. I am going to rent a house close by.

Obviously I will be paying CM and currently I receive the CB which I will transfer to him. I have found a property and will being moving into it at the start of August.

We have no savings at all. We live in a Universal Credit area.
    Is there anything he can do between now and the start of August to get a benefit claim underway? I understand that it takes 6 weeks for it to be processed and then it is not back dated.

Can anyone offer any advice?
    Originally posted by WaltonVale
    No advice.

How is your 64 yr old husband, who apparently has not worked "for years" because of health issues, going to cope with a 3 year old and a 9 year old full time? What's happening here?
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 12th Jul 17, 7:29 AM
    • 17,632 Posts
    • 44,900 Thanks
    Pollycat
    • 12th Jul 17, 7:29 AM
    • 12th Jul 17, 7:29 AM
    No advice.

How is your 64 yr old husband, who apparently has not worked "for years" because of health issues, going to cope with a 3 year old and a 9 year old full time? What's happening here?
    Originally posted by *max*
    The OP has also posted on the Benefits board:
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5678102
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

202Posts Today

1,461Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: 'Sometimes the best gift is releasing somebody else from the obligation of having to give to you' says @MartinSLewis. Do y?

• Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Follow Martin