Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • sok777
    • By sok777 11th Jul 17, 10:26 PM
    • 5Posts
    • 0Thanks
    sok777
    PCN for no left turn
    • 11th Jul 17, 10:26 PM
    PCN for no left turn 11th Jul 17 at 10:26 PM
    Hi everybody,
    I have hired a van from a rental company on the 1st of June and returned it on the 2nd of June, both in London.
    Out of the blue I saw a charge of £30 made my the car company, without my consent, on the 4th of July. Upon contacting them they said I had a traffic offence and they charged me £30 for the administration fee, which they "sent me a letter" for 2 weeks prior to charging me (obviously they did not).

They have sent me the document from Barnet council to show I did an offence in a no left turn. The documents states the offence happened on the 2nd of June and the penalty notice sent on the 8th of June to the rental company.
    They say the passed on my details to the council on the 19th of June and that I should be hearing from the council.
    I have not heard anything from the council so I decided to phone them up and they said that they see that the rental company have sent a "transfer of liability" form to the council but the enforcement team hasn't dealt with it yet, and they have 14 days to approve the transfer. those 14 days have passed and I still haven't received anything.
    On top of that, this whole situation was rather confusing as I did see the no left sign, but I was slowing down and since there's 2 left turn which one is a one-way road approaching from the opposite direction, i assumed the no left turn was for that one, so that drivers would avoid making a left turn and drive opposite to oncoming traffic.
    So I listened to the Sat Nav and after slowing down I did turn left and I saw the pictures and I know it was me but it is an honest mistake on my end or just a very obvious and easy way to get money on their end.

Now I'm not sure what I should do:
    1. There's no penalty issued to me yet, and the offence happened on the 2nd of June
    2. I was sure the signs were meant to the left turn which is literally 3 feet away from the left turn I took (and has no extra signs next to it).
    3. also, there are no signs to show of any camera/CCTV filming there

Any ideas? tips?
    Not sure what I should do next, and what my rights are at all.

Thanks!
Page 1
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 11th Jul 17, 10:36 PM
    • 48,143 Posts
    • 61,583 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    • 11th Jul 17, 10:36 PM
    • 11th Jul 17, 10:36 PM
    Wait for the PCN to be sent to you, then post on pepipoo's Council PCN forum:

http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?showforum=30

Don't post yet (not till you have a PCN to show them) and don't use a Hotmail email to register.
    PRIVATE PCN in England/Wales? DON'T PAY BUT DO NOT IGNORE IT

Click on the trail, top of this page: Home>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking - read the 'NEWBIES' FAQS thread!
    DON'T read old advice to ignore, unless in Scotland/NI.

• Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 11th Jul 17, 10:40 PM
    • 13,586 Posts
    • 21,304 Thanks
    Umkomaas
    • 11th Jul 17, 10:40 PM
    • 11th Jul 17, 10:40 PM
    As we tend to major on private parking tickets here, PePiPoo will be your best bet for council tickets. Register there (but please note that a hotmail address won't work) and post a new thread; here's your link:

http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?act=SF&s=&f=30

Have a read through some of the other threads there before you post your own to get the hang of what information they need from you in your opening post - but as a minimum you will need to post redacted photos/scans of all correspondence you've received from the council (both sides, if appropriate) as they need to see all the small print.

PePiPoo has an excellent success record in dealing with council tickets.

Also

They have sent me the document from Barnet council to show I did an offence in a no left turn.
    Mr Mustard (Derek Dishman) is a parking activist in Barnet and has a brilliant grasp of council parking law and helps many locals with amazing success against Barnet Council.

Take a look at his blog, and possibly make contact to see if he can help you.

http://lbbspending.blogspot.co.uk

HTH
    We cannot provide you with a silver bullet to get you out of this. You have to be in for the long run, and need to involve yourself in research and work for you to get rid of this. It is not simple. We will help, but can't do it for you.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.
    • sok777
    • By sok777 11th Jul 17, 10:53 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    sok777
    • 11th Jul 17, 10:53 PM
    • 11th Jul 17, 10:53 PM
    Thank you very much!
    I do have a PCN to show them, but it's the one sent to the car hire company (they forwarded it to me).
    Would that be enough for now?

I am quite nervous, I've never had a penalty ticket before.
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 11th Jul 17, 11:06 PM
    • 48,143 Posts
    • 61,583 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    • 11th Jul 17, 11:06 PM
    • 11th Jul 17, 11:06 PM
    Yes, go to pepipoo and calm your nerves, they win almost every case, and will very likely know the junction.
    PRIVATE PCN in England/Wales? DON'T PAY BUT DO NOT IGNORE IT

Click on the trail, top of this page: Home>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking - read the 'NEWBIES' FAQS thread!
    DON'T read old advice to ignore, unless in Scotland/NI.

• sok777
    • By sok777 11th Jul 17, 11:22 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    sok777
    • 11th Jul 17, 11:22 PM
    • 11th Jul 17, 11:22 PM
    thank you so much!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,109Posts Today

7,295Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin