Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Radioactive
    • By Radioactive 11th Jul 17, 10:19 PM
    • 7Posts
    • 1Thanks
    Radioactive
    CGT liability during period of non-residence
    • 11th Jul 17, 10:19 PM
    CGT liability during period of non-residence 11th Jul 17 at 10:19 PM
    I have been living and working in the (CGT-free) Middle East for many years. During that time I purchased some offshore unit trusts. I now plan to return to the UK. Will any future UK CGT liability be based on the increase in value over my total period of ownership or just the period while I am UK tax resident? For example:
    • In 2010 I purchased a number of shares at £100 each (while tax resident in the Middle East)
    • In 2017 I become tax resident in the UK and the shares are now worth £120 each.
    • In 2020 (while still tax resident in the UK) I sell the shares for £130 each
    Will my gain (for UK CGT purposes) be £30 per share or £10 per share? I assume it will be £30 per share. If so, are there any measures I can take (other than selling the shares) prior to my becoming UK tax resident to reduce the subsequent CGT liability?
Page 1
    • Cook_County
    • By Cook_County 12th Jul 17, 10:41 PM
    • 2,896 Posts
    • 2,071 Thanks
    Cook_County
    • 12th Jul 17, 10:41 PM
    • 12th Jul 17, 10:41 PM
    Are these reporting or non-reporting funds?
    • SYTax
    • By SYTax 13th Jul 17, 9:21 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    SYTax
    • 13th Jul 17, 9:21 PM
    • 13th Jul 17, 9:21 PM
    Assuming you are UK domicile, if you sell while UK resident you will be subject to UK tax on the full profit (£30 per share in your example).

Whether the fund is reporting or non-reporting will decide whether his is income or a capital gain.

I can't think of any other steps except selling before becoming UK resident. You could always buy again (wait 30 days after sale) if you really want to hold those particular funds.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

269Posts Today

1,802Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin