Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • jules81
    • By jules81 11th Jul 17, 9:31 PM
    • 36Posts
    • 221Thanks
    jules81
    can you get contrubtion based ESA AND income based confused!!!
    • 11th Jul 17, 9:31 PM
    can you get contrubtion based ESA AND income based confused!!! 11th Jul 17 at 9:31 PM
    Hello,

I need some help please am going to phone up and ask once i am at home but am in a mh unit in the community at the mo. I split up with my ex husband in march while in a psychatric hospital. he moved out mid June.

I currently get income based ESA I am in the support group. and DLA low rate mobility high rate care.

My husband and i have split up due to my MH problems, we are going to see how i am next april BUT i doubt we will get back together.

Hes moved out of the family home. I pay the mortgage as I will be moving back in ther end of july. He get ALL the tax credits and child benefit ( due to my MH social service have said i cant see my child unsupervised) so have him 4 days a week after school 3.30-6pm and all day sun.

I get contribution based ESA, ( i worked for 12 years before getting sick full time so had enough NI contrubutions) it said on a benefits calculator you can get income based ESA at the same time is this true?

The tax credit lady said we couldnt do a single tax credits claim until we are finical separate. This will be from next april if we go ahead with divorce. Most bills are in BOTH names bar council tax which is just changing over to my name as i am the only one here. IS this the same with ESA? ESA know i live with my ex husband i will ring up and change this once i come out of here ( dont want a big mobile bill)

I am getting a personal budget off social service to pay for a carer ( if we can get one for 4 hours a day at £7.50 an hour) BUT dont have anyone claiming carers allowance for me so can i get the disability premium?

I feel way over my head.

xxxx
Page 1
    • jules81
    • By jules81 11th Jul 17, 9:45 PM
    • 36 Posts
    • 221 Thanks
    jules81
    • 11th Jul 17, 9:45 PM
    • 11th Jul 17, 9:45 PM
    I posted this in the wrong bit can someone delete please? sorry J xxx
    • Alice Holt
    • By Alice Holt 12th Jul 17, 5:45 PM
    • 1,377 Posts
    • 1,491 Thanks
    Alice Holt
    • 12th Jul 17, 5:45 PM
    • 12th Jul 17, 5:45 PM
    It's possible to have contribution based ESA topped by an income based premium.

So, for instance you may get an enhanced disability premium (paid as an income based top up) because you are in the support group.

Re Tax Credits.
    You can claim TC as a single claim If you have separated and the separation is intended to be permanent. So, you may want to get some advice on this.
    See: http://revenuebenefits.org.uk/tax-credits/guidance/how-do-tax-credits-work/understanding-living-together/
    • epitome
    • By epitome 15th Jul 17, 4:41 PM
    • 2,737 Posts
    • 1,715 Thanks
    epitome
    • 15th Jul 17, 4:41 PM
    • 15th Jul 17, 4:41 PM
    You should call ESA now to report the change, or you could be left with a big overpayment, try ringing at 8.30am or 5:55pm (stay on the phone waiting until 18:30) you might get lucky with a quick answer.

Have you told DLA you are in hospital?

Ask ESA for SDP once you have confirmed with DLA that you are in a hospital. and once you are out.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,199Posts Today

6,122Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: 'Sometimes the best gift is releasing somebody else from the obligation of having to give to you' says @MartinSLewis. Do y?

• Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Follow Martin