Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • whitesatin
    • By whitesatin 11th Jul 17, 8:51 PM
    • 1,897Posts
    • 5,777Thanks
    whitesatin
    Sepaate shower or incorporate into bathroom
    • 11th Jul 17, 8:51 PM
    Sepaate shower or incorporate into bathroom 11th Jul 17 at 8:51 PM
    Although we are not selling our house at the moment, we know we will in the not too distant future so are looking to improve where we can, at the same time enjoy any improvements whilst living here.

We live in a 1962 detached, 3 double bedroom house. A through lounge downstairs, a nice sized hallway, kitchen extension with utility room.

There was already an under stairs toilet but we had it updated and it is of a reasonable size with worktop, washbasin etc.

Upstairs, we have a normal sized bathroom and a separate shower "room". Not sure if it was fashioned out of a cupboard space or something, before our time. It is quite dark, having only one small window. It is cramped but pleasant enough. I thought maybe we should knock through the wall between it and the bathroom, giving more space and light, looking less cramped. My husband thinks we should keep them separate as future owners might prefer that.

Ours is a family house, and will probably be bought by a family with two or three older children as, at £500k plus, it won't be a first time buy.

Do you think such a family would prefer a dull, cramped, separate shower cubicle (it has a little ante area as well as the actual shower tray etc.) or a larger, brighter bathroom with a shower within?

There has only ever been my husband and I living here so it has worked ok for us till now.
Page 1
    • AnotherJoe
    • By AnotherJoe 11th Jul 17, 9:04 PM
    • 7,599 Posts
    • 8,196 Thanks
    AnotherJoe
    • 11th Jul 17, 9:04 PM
    • 11th Jul 17, 9:04 PM
    Whichever they prefer, I very much doubt they would pay extra, so I'd say only spend the money if you felt you'd get benefit worth the cost, which I very much doubt you will as it might be an extensive renovation.

You also can't really double guess what people will want, some might like the idea of an extra shower so more people can be using the facilities at the same time, others a bigger bathroom.
    • sevenhills
    • By sevenhills 11th Jul 17, 9:16 PM
    • 715 Posts
    • 256 Thanks
    sevenhills
    • 11th Jul 17, 9:16 PM
    • 11th Jul 17, 9:16 PM
    Do you think such a family would prefer a dull, cramped, separate shower cubicle (it has a little ante area as well as the actual shower tray etc.) or a larger, brighter bathroom with a shower within?

There has only ever been my husband and I living here so it has worked ok for us till now.
    Originally posted by whitesatin
    I guess you are split, I would prefer "brighter bathroom with a shower within", but I am a singleton.
    Cannot see a family wanting a separate toilet if there is one downstairs.
    • walwyn1978
    • By walwyn1978 11th Jul 17, 10:33 PM
    • 375 Posts
    • 334 Thanks
    walwyn1978
    • 11th Jul 17, 10:33 PM
    • 11th Jul 17, 10:33 PM
    Is there capacity to add a shower in the bath? (A proper one, not one of those that stick on the taps)

You could then market to a family that multiple showers at the same time are possible - Great in the morning!
    • zagubov
    • By zagubov 12th Jul 17, 12:14 AM
    • 14,896 Posts
    • 127,268 Thanks
    zagubov
    • 12th Jul 17, 12:14 AM
    • 12th Jul 17, 12:14 AM
    Noway would I merge the shower room with a bathroom; it's an extra facility and would make the house desirable to larger families.

We extended our understairs w.c by taking a corner out of the kitchen to add a shower to it.
    There is no honour to be had in not knowing a thing that can be known - Danny Baker
    • Riggyman
    • By Riggyman 12th Jul 17, 12:18 AM
    • 166 Posts
    • 152 Thanks
    Riggyman
    • 12th Jul 17, 12:18 AM
    • 12th Jul 17, 12:18 AM
    Sepaate showers are awesome
    • p00hsticks
    • By p00hsticks 12th Jul 17, 8:22 AM
    • 5,712 Posts
    • 5,321 Thanks
    p00hsticks
    • 12th Jul 17, 8:22 AM
    • 12th Jul 17, 8:22 AM
    Ours is a family house, and will probably be bought by a family with two or three older children as, at £500k plus, it won't be a first time buy.
    Originally posted by whitesatin
    So with a combined bathroom / shower, one poor sod could be fifth in line in the morning - keep them separate.
    • LandyAndy
    • By LandyAndy 12th Jul 17, 8:40 AM
    • 23,945 Posts
    • 50,680 Thanks
    LandyAndy
    • 12th Jul 17, 8:40 AM
    • 12th Jul 17, 8:40 AM
    Is there capacity to add a shower in the bath? (A proper one, not one of those that stick on the taps)

You could then market to a family that multiple showers at the same time are possible - Great in the morning!
    Originally posted by walwyn1978

This.

If you must do anything, and I'm not sure that you do, do this. Two showers would be a great thing as long as your water supply and heating can support them running at the same time.
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 12th Jul 17, 8:49 AM
    • 4,703 Posts
    • 20,366 Thanks
    Slinky
    • 12th Jul 17, 8:49 AM
    • 12th Jul 17, 8:49 AM
    We looked at buying a similar sounding house earlier this year. The bathroom and loo were separate and quite generously sized, what we were thinking of doing was rotating the bath in the bathroom, adding another loo, having a proper shower over the bath. That then left the separate loo which looked like it had enough space to knock a door through from the adjoining bedroom. We'd then block the exising loo door onto the landing up which would create enough space for a shower, and somehow tuck a small washbasin in, thereby creating a family bathroom and an ensuite out of what had been a single bathroom and separate loo.

Is there scope for you to knock through into your shower room and make it an ensuite? This would probably make it lighter with light coming in from the bedroom.
    • TBagpuss
    • By TBagpuss 12th Jul 17, 9:01 AM
    • 6,038 Posts
    • 7,787 Thanks
    TBagpuss
    I think it is down to what you like.

Unless your exisiting bathroom feels small or pokey I personally wouldn't knock it through - I'd spend money on a decent shower in the bath instead - that way you have the option of showering in the larger, lighter bathroom, but have a spare shpwer for guests and larger families.

If it would be practical to make the shower room larger to turn it into an en-suite or 2nd bathroom I'd do that. I think a shower on it's own, with no sink or loo can feel very cramped and a bit awkward.
    • daivid
    • By daivid 12th Jul 17, 9:27 AM
    • 154 Posts
    • 136 Thanks
    daivid
    My parents house has a similar set up to the OPs. With theirs being a 1940s build I assume the shower is where the separate lavatory used to be before it was moved into the main bathroom (may be completely wrong).
    Growing up in that house as a family of 5 it was very handy to have a shower separate to the bathroom, for us not so much in terms of the morning rush but that one person could have a relaxing bath and at the same time someone else could have a quick shower.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

206Posts Today

1,347Users online

Martin's Twitter