Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • tweeter
    • By tweeter 11th Jul 17, 7:41 PM
    • 3,708Posts
    • 4,523Thanks
    tweeter
    My partners has hearing problems - we would like to watch tv together.
    • 11th Jul 17, 7:41 PM
    My partners has hearing problems - we would like to watch tv together. 11th Jul 17 at 7:41 PM
    My partner has hearing problems and uses Geemarc headphones through our Humax set top box, so we can both watch tv together - Samsung tv. Is it possible to set up the tv so we both watch it together if we don't use the Humax, as a earphone socket on the tv turns the sound off when we plug in a standard set of earphones but won't allow us to plug in Geemarc headphones anywhere else.

I wondered If anyone here knows another way of how to get the tv set not to turn off the sound through using the other sockets on the back of it. The reason is is that my Humax has stopped recording and a replacement failed first day and the shop said they have had a lot of complaints about it, so I was thinking of getting a Panasonic set top box but it doesn't have phono's on the back.

Some people I understand have set up their tv's to avoid the sound being turned off when listening together when one of them uses Geemarc type headphones. Thanks for any replies.

The Samsung tv modal I have.

Samsung tv manual. The tv doesn't have a scart socket on the back

Geemarc headphones

Panasonic set top box
    Last edited by tweeter; 12-07-2017 at 9:46 PM.
    Peel back your baby's eyelid to find no nationality or religious identity mark there. Peer at your baby's eyes for them to reflect back just people-throw away your flags and religious symbols...

Page 1
    • Owain Moneysaver
    • By Owain Moneysaver 11th Jul 17, 9:43 PM
    • 7,599 Posts
    • 8,143 Thanks
    Owain Moneysaver
    • 11th Jul 17, 9:43 PM
    • 11th Jul 17, 9:43 PM
    If your TV has a SCART OUT socket you can use the SCART adapter shown in the headphone manual page 3 item A

If you want to use a box that doesn't have phono outputs for the headphone then you'd need a through splitter like this between the box and the TV, and the headphones connect at the side

https://www.kenable.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=4744

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00FJ2DHQ8/

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/n92/B00M181STQ/
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
    • fwor
    • By fwor 12th Jul 17, 2:00 AM
    • 5,889 Posts
    • 3,937 Thanks
    fwor
    • 12th Jul 17, 2:00 AM
    • 12th Jul 17, 2:00 AM
    I'm trying to do something similar - on some TVs you can select in the setup menu whether the headphone output mutes the speakers, but on our Samsung it was not possible, so yours may be the same.

You can extract audio output from either the SCART interface, as already suggested, or from the HDMI interface, but I suspect that the problem you will face is that you want the Audio as an output - and the TV may not consider any of these connections as active when it's just being used as a TV - though it should be possible when you are using the Humax/Panasonic by placing something like this in the HDMI link between it and the TV:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/332236815715/

However, the digital audio SPDIF output on the TV itself should always be active, so a digital to analogue converter connected to this should give you an audio output at all times, whether the source is the internal tuner or an external set-top box. Here's an example for £5:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/201419380856/

However, note that neither of these have a volume control, so you would need 'phones with volume (perhaps the Geemarc has one anyway).
    • WAYT
    • By WAYT 12th Jul 17, 3:47 AM
    • 711 Posts
    • 315 Thanks
    WAYT
    • 12th Jul 17, 3:47 AM
    • 12th Jul 17, 3:47 AM
    Simple solution: http://www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/headphone-splitter
    • boundy
    • By boundy 12th Jul 17, 3:25 PM
    • 156 Posts
    • 74 Thanks
    boundy
    • 12th Jul 17, 3:25 PM
    • 12th Jul 17, 3:25 PM
    As above, 3.5mm splitter. You've already mentioned that using the headphones jack mutes the TV speakers, so get a cheap sound bar, plug the splitter into the TV, 1 end to the sound bar input, other end to the headphones. Even a cheap sound bar from argos will more than likely exceed the audio output of a flat screen TV at the cheaper end of the market
    • sazdes
    • By sazdes 12th Jul 17, 5:02 PM
    • 85 Posts
    • 74 Thanks
    sazdes
    • 12th Jul 17, 5:02 PM
    • 12th Jul 17, 5:02 PM
    depending on the degree of deafness (well more if he wears hearing aids), you can get the NHS to provide you with a hearing loop for the room (like cinemas and public buildings use) which you can then put the hearing aid onto the T setting and it will amplify it through the aids
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 12th Jul 17, 11:16 PM
    • 3,130 Posts
    • 4,967 Thanks
    another casualty
    • 12th Jul 17, 11:16 PM
    • 12th Jul 17, 11:16 PM
    Slightly off the wall approach here.
    Have you thought about getting a decent stereo Bluetooth speaker?
    ( I have a Marley geo something ). Once charged, you could place it anywhere in the room ..even behind you . Probably too off the wall, but you never know
    • tweeter
    • By tweeter 17th Jul 17, 10:50 PM
    • 3,708 Posts
    • 4,523 Thanks
    tweeter
    • 17th Jul 17, 10:50 PM
    • 17th Jul 17, 10:50 PM
    Thanks to everyone who contributed here, especially fwor, whose idea allowed my partner to hear the tv through a set of Geemarc headphones, and at the same time I could hear the same Samsung tv set without headphones.

clicky
    Last edited by tweeter; 19-07-2017 at 11:12 AM.
    Peel back your baby's eyelid to find no nationality or religious identity mark there. Peer at your baby's eyes for them to reflect back just people-throw away your flags and religious symbols...

• WAYT
    • By WAYT 18th Jul 17, 2:05 AM
    • 711 Posts
    • 315 Thanks
    WAYT
    • 18th Jul 17, 2:05 AM
    • 18th Jul 17, 2:05 AM
    Headphone splitter would have been cheaper and less cumbersome. But it works and you are happy. Digital output has a slight delay, so I imagined that might annoy.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

668Posts Today

5,211Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• RT @thismorning: With his last deals of the year, @MartinSLewis wishes us all a 'very merry Christmas, a happy Hanukkah and a wonderful and?

• RT @stoneygran: @MartinSLewis I furtively used a pub toilet last night before getting on the bus and felt really guilty!

• Follow Martin