Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • billylowe
    • By billylowe 11th Jul 17, 7:40 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    billylowe
    car insurance for a 17 year old
    • 11th Jul 17, 7:40 PM
    car insurance for a 17 year old 11th Jul 17 at 7:40 PM
    hi,i am 17 male, and new driver. I have just bought a 1.1 litre peugeot 106, for £500. I am now looking for insurance but the cheapest i can find is around £1500, in some instances that is with a black box installed, this seems like quite a lot for an old car with a small engine, can anyone recommend any sites they used/anything I can do to try and bring price down. TIA.
Page 1
    • worried jim
    • By worried jim 11th Jul 17, 7:42 PM
    • 8,428 Posts
    • 12,842 Thanks
    worried jim
    • 11th Jul 17, 7:42 PM
    • 11th Jul 17, 7:42 PM
    £1500 seems about right. It will come down with experience but if you crash it or get points you can double/triple that quote.

It's not the car or engine size that pushes up the price but the very likely hood of you ploughing into a bus stop and taking a few biddies out.
    Last edited by worried jim; 11-07-2017 at 7:45 PM.
    "Only two things are infinite-the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the universe"
    Albert Einstein
    • Lorian
    • By Lorian 11th Jul 17, 7:46 PM
    • 4,024 Posts
    • 2,180 Thanks
    Lorian
    • 11th Jul 17, 7:46 PM
    • 11th Jul 17, 7:46 PM
    You could try Bell Insurance and (if they allow it) Diamond.
    • worried jim
    • By worried jim 11th Jul 17, 7:50 PM
    • 8,428 Posts
    • 12,842 Thanks
    worried jim
    • 11th Jul 17, 7:50 PM
    • 11th Jul 17, 7:50 PM
    You could try Bell Insurance and (if they allow it) Diamond.
    Originally posted by Lorian
    Same company. Admiral group.
    "Only two things are infinite-the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the universe"
    Albert Einstein
    • Lorian
    • By Lorian 11th Jul 17, 7:51 PM
    • 4,024 Posts
    • 2,180 Thanks
    Lorian
    • 11th Jul 17, 7:51 PM
    • 11th Jul 17, 7:51 PM
    Same company.
    Originally posted by worried jim

Indeed. but not the same prices.....

Could go to admiral (also same company) but in my experience for 17 year old they quote even more.
    • cajef
    • By cajef 11th Jul 17, 8:29 PM
    • 4,460 Posts
    • 3,528 Thanks
    cajef
    • 11th Jul 17, 8:29 PM
    • 11th Jul 17, 8:29 PM
    this seems like quite a lot for an old car with a small engine,
    Originally posted by billylowe
    It is not the cost of your car that is important, it is how much the insurance company may have to pay out if you hit someone's brand new shiny and expensive motor.
    I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.
    • sevenhills
    • By sevenhills 11th Jul 17, 8:35 PM
    • 367 Posts
    • 156 Thanks
    sevenhills
    • 11th Jul 17, 8:35 PM
    • 11th Jul 17, 8:35 PM
    £1500 seems about right. It will come down with experience but if you crash it or get points you can double/triple that quote.

It's not the car or engine size that pushes up the price but the very likely hood of you ploughing into a bus stop and taking a few biddies out.
    Originally posted by worried jim
    I am surprised its so low, a young person was telling me £2,500 the other day
    • sevenhills
    • By sevenhills 11th Jul 17, 8:37 PM
    • 367 Posts
    • 156 Thanks
    sevenhills
    • 11th Jul 17, 8:37 PM
    • 11th Jul 17, 8:37 PM
    Google says -

"Youngsters, or their parents, are spending an average of £3,825 on their first car, up from £2,477 in 2009, according to research by comparison website Gocompare.com. The website said car insurance makes up a third of the total bill at an average of £2,232 for a 17-year-old driver, down from £2,455 in 2009."
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 11th Jul 17, 8:51 PM
    • 25,468 Posts
    • 10,103 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    • 11th Jul 17, 8:51 PM
    • 11th Jul 17, 8:51 PM
    Its an old car, you can usually get it cheaper by buying a brand new car. But obviously that costs more than the potential savings.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • silvercar
    • By silvercar 12th Jul 17, 6:28 PM
    • 35,693 Posts
    • 150,400 Thanks
    silvercar
    Hi billylowe and welcome to the MSE forum. Congratulations on passing your test.

Have a read of the general cheap car insurance guide from MSE. It has some helpful tips, including adding an older driver to your policy to keep costs down.

In addition, there is a separate guide written for young drivers here.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debate House Prices & the Economy, House Buying, Renting & Selling, Mortgages and Endowments, In My Home incl DIY, Overseas Holidays & Student boards.
    I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 12th Jul 17, 7:56 PM
    • 6,938 Posts
    • 18,610 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    Congratulations!
    Watching with interest as mother of 17 year old, but he'll not be buying a little hatchback while I'll share the family Mondeo. Better for him to learn to drive a big, heavy, high NCAP car (for my nerves!) I reckon as I can get most spares from a scrapper & blame any dings on him. (Ahem.)
    He's got to get his licence & pass the theory test first, so I have a few weeks peace yet, but I think that 1.5K is pretty cheap, with the telematics box. (Which will cramp my shameful style something wicked, but into each life.)
    Best of luck!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

871Posts Today

7,269Users online

Martin's Twitter