Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • baibelle
    • By baibelle 11th Jul 17, 7:38 PM
    • 67Posts
    • 206Thanks
    baibelle
    Secondhand electric cooker
    • 11th Jul 17, 7:38 PM
    Secondhand electric cooker 11th Jul 17 at 7:38 PM
    Hi there,

I am redoing my kitchen and have found someone online selling second hand electric cookers very cheap - £90 odd each. I'm very tempted to buy as it outshines anything else I can afford. I realise it's always a risk buying second hand, would you take that risk for 1/6th of the price??

Many thanks,

Natalie
    19/12/14: Spent 10 years of savings!!
    ..... to buy my first home.
Page 1
    • 27cool
    • By 27cool 11th Jul 17, 7:50 PM
    • 249 Posts
    • 191 Thanks
    27cool
    • 11th Jul 17, 7:50 PM
    • 11th Jul 17, 7:50 PM
    Why not. Even if it failed you could still buy 5 more and only spend in total what you would have, if you had bought a new cooker.
    • Kiran
    • By Kiran 11th Jul 17, 7:55 PM
    • 1,119 Posts
    • 495 Thanks
    Kiran
    • 11th Jul 17, 7:55 PM
    • 11th Jul 17, 7:55 PM
    Go for it. We got an £850 list price Neff for £50 on gumtree as an interim whilst waiting for our extension. Excellent condition and works perfectly.
    Some people don't exaggerate........... They just remember big!
    • Owain Moneysaver
    • By Owain Moneysaver 11th Jul 17, 9:12 PM
    • 7,517 Posts
    • 7,940 Thanks
    Owain Moneysaver
    • 11th Jul 17, 9:12 PM
    • 11th Jul 17, 9:12 PM
    That sounds quite expensive for a second-hand cooker!

"Standard" cookers with solid plates or rings really have very little to go wrong with them. Anything with timer or electronics may be less reliable, but if it's a popular make/model parts should be readily available.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
    • baibelle
    • By baibelle 12th Jul 17, 8:23 AM
    • 67 Posts
    • 206 Thanks
    baibelle
    • 12th Jul 17, 8:23 AM
    • 12th Jul 17, 8:23 AM
    Thanks all that was really reassuring. I looked up the model to double check and there are lots of parts available. I feel that it is worth the punt as all being well it will make a huge difference to the kitchen.
    19/12/14: Spent 10 years of savings!!
    ..... to buy my first home.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

134Posts Today

2,021Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin