Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mktuk88
    • By mktuk88 11th Jul 17, 7:37 PM
    • 7Posts
    • 0Thanks
    mktuk88
    Help Needed with Car Insurance - Threat to Cancel with Open Claim.
    • 11th Jul 17, 7:37 PM
    Help Needed with Car Insurance - Threat to Cancel with Open Claim. 11th Jul 17 at 7:37 PM
    Hi all, so I'll get straight in to it.

I've recently been involved in a minor accident, and have put a claim in with my insurance. Things have only just started progressing, and out of the blue I've had an email from the broker saying that "a disclosed non-fault claim should be an open fault claim" and that I must pay an amount in the region of £90 in 7 days or they will cancel my insurance. With an open claim in place this is very distressing, I've spent hours on the phone tonight trying to get through and I can't get speak to anyone about it, the phones just ring forever. The only way they say I can pay is by ringing up, so I will try again tomorrow. The thing is that previous claim was never my fault, I never paid excess and liability was established against the third party. I had a letter from my previous insurer recently saying the claim is closed and it's a non-fault. I'm hoping this can simply resolve the issue, but regardless I would happily pay the money to stop them from cancelling the policy while I have this second claim in progress.

This is all very distressing and has me worried the broker is trying to cancel the policy because of the current claim, and are setting my up for failure by only making it possible to pay via a phone number that's never answering. What can I do? Surely this sort of thing can't be allowed to happen? If my insurance gets cancelled I can't begin to imagine what would happen
    Last edited by mktuk88; 11-07-2017 at 7:43 PM.
Page 1
    • Norman Castle
    • By Norman Castle 11th Jul 17, 7:47 PM
    • 6,165 Posts
    • 4,939 Thanks
    Norman Castle
    • 11th Jul 17, 7:47 PM
    • 11th Jul 17, 7:47 PM
    Contact them by email and explain you are willing to pay the £90 but cannot if they do not answer the phone. Ask for an alternate payment method or for them to call you.
    Don't harass a hippie. You'll get bad karma.
    • mktuk88
    • By mktuk88 11th Jul 17, 7:54 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    mktuk88
    • 11th Jul 17, 7:54 PM
    • 11th Jul 17, 7:54 PM
    I have done this tonight, but the only email address they provided was a general contact address which sent an automated response to say my email would be dealt with in 2 business days. I've only got 6 days left to sort this before they cancel the policy

What happens if they cancel the policy and I have this open claim?
    • mktuk88
    • By mktuk88 11th Jul 17, 9:01 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    mktuk88
    • 11th Jul 17, 9:01 PM
    • 11th Jul 17, 9:01 PM
    Oh god, I'm just reading about the company I've insured with... Brightside (previously ecar).

I feel sick. It sounds like lots of people have the same problem where they can never get in contact with the company. How can this company still be operating if these problems are so widespread?
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 11th Jul 17, 9:37 PM
    • 32,809 Posts
    • 16,840 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 11th Jul 17, 9:37 PM
    • 11th Jul 17, 9:37 PM
    Often insurers will check you out at the time of a claim which may explain why they have now discovered that you (no doubt inadvertently) misled them when applying for cover.

They look to be taking the view you didn't do it deliberately to get a cheaper premium.

The fact that you subsequently have got the claim closed doesn't mean that they are wrong to be wanting the correct premium paying.
    • mktuk88
    • By mktuk88 11th Jul 17, 9:43 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    mktuk88
    • 11th Jul 17, 9:43 PM
    • 11th Jul 17, 9:43 PM
    I'm more than happy to pay the extra premium. As far as I was concerned the claim was non-fault and had all been resolved. I had a letter to confirm this shortly after cancelling the policy with my previous insurer. If that was wrong at the time I took out the new policy then fair enough, and I will pay the extra premium. My problem is it doesn't seem that's even possible. I spent hours on hold today trying to get through, and after reading reviews of this company online it seems everyone else has the same problem with the outcome being the 7 days ticks over and the policy gets cancelled.

I really need the answer to this question. If they cancel my insurance, is it retroactive, and what happens to the claim I have open right now?
    • Norman Castle
    • By Norman Castle 12th Jul 17, 6:34 AM
    • 6,165 Posts
    • 4,939 Thanks
    Norman Castle
    • 12th Jul 17, 6:34 AM
    • 12th Jul 17, 6:34 AM
    Try setting up an online account. This may let you pay.

https://my.brightsideinsurance.co.uk/brightside/portal/brightside/pc/portalrecall.page
    • mktuk88
    • By mktuk88 12th Jul 17, 6:48 AM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    mktuk88
    • 12th Jul 17, 6:48 AM
    • 12th Jul 17, 6:48 AM
    I've already signed up, it only allows you to upload documents or amend basic details on the policy. I tried doing an amend to see if the extra premium came up at the end but it didn't just an admin fee.

I'll be ringing them as soon as lines open today, but I have to work and I can't sit on hold for hours at work So I guess if they do manage to cancel the policy on me I'm up a creek without a paddle? I would have been driving without insurance at the time of the accident and that'll go to the Poilce/CPS surely?
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 12th Jul 17, 7:33 AM
    • 32,809 Posts
    • 16,840 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 12th Jul 17, 7:33 AM
    • 12th Jul 17, 7:33 AM
    Whatever the outcome you won't be sent to police/cps!

Someone has been scaremongering you to make you think that
    • Norman Castle
    • By Norman Castle 12th Jul 17, 11:53 AM
    • 6,165 Posts
    • 4,939 Thanks
    Norman Castle
    Try a formal complaint.
    • mktuk88
    • By mktuk88 12th Jul 17, 6:11 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    mktuk88
    The only way to make a compliant is via email, which I have already done, but I've not heard anything.

I spoke to someone today and she said they have the letter and will process it and amend the policy so I don't have to pay the extra premium and that I'll receive an email. I've received no such email and I'm worried I've been fobbed off so they can get another day out of the 7 before they cancel the policy.

I'm going to ring again tomorrow morning and demand something in writing, if they can't do that I'll simply pay the additional premium as I can't risk the insurance being cancelled.
    Last edited by mktuk88; 12-07-2017 at 6:13 PM.
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 12th Jul 17, 6:54 PM
    • 32,809 Posts
    • 16,840 Thanks
    Quentin
    The only way to make a compliant is via email, which I have already done, but I've not heard anything.....
    Originally posted by mktuk88
    Be patient.

They have 8 weeks to reply.

If they ignore you for the 8 weeks or you are unhappy with the reply then you can escalate to the FOS for their adjudication at no cost to you
    • mktuk88
    • By mktuk88 12th Jul 17, 7:43 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    mktuk88
    Be patient.

They have 8 weeks to reply.

If they ignore you for the 8 weeks or you are unhappy with the reply then you can escalate to the FOS for their adjudication at no cost to you
    Originally posted by Quentin
    But they would have cancelled the policy by then and the damage would be done? If I have a cancelled policy against my name, along with the two claims I'll be practically uninsurable surely?
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 12th Jul 17, 7:58 PM
    • 32,809 Posts
    • 16,840 Thanks
    Quentin
    Unfortunately that is the situation regarding the complaints procedure.

But you can leave your complaint to pass through the system and separately continue your efforts to contact them and sort this out now.

If the worst happens you won't be uninsurable and if you win your complaint ask to be reimbursed any extra expenses you have been put to
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,766Posts Today

9,021Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • In or near York? This Wed the @itvmlshow Roadshow" will be at the York Food & Drink Festival - do come and say hi; St Sampsons Square 11-4.

• It's the subtle poetry and lyricism of tweets like this that I find so endearing https://t.co/XhSKBCGyXe

• Interesting well argued take on the Uber situation from a black cab driver... https://t.co/c1I5ta0jde

• Follow Martin