Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Smb3088
    • By Smb3088 11th Jul 17, 7:35 PM
    • 162Posts
    • 20Thanks
    Smb3088
    Microsoft office off eBay?
    • 11th Jul 17, 7:35 PM
    Microsoft office off eBay? 11th Jul 17 at 7:35 PM
    I'm a basic user and all I need is word and maybe excel? I see on eBay they sell really cheap products for like £5 just a download key link for home and student 2016 version, Do these actually work, or will it cause virus/problems with my PC?
Page 1
    • ukjoel
    • By ukjoel 11th Jul 17, 8:38 PM
    • 1,383 Posts
    • 1,248 Thanks
    ukjoel
    • 11th Jul 17, 8:38 PM
    • 11th Jul 17, 8:38 PM
    I have purchased downloads and physical CDs and USB's through there without any issue.

They tend to be genuine license keys which were not designed for the purpose they are being sold for.

I would probably pay a pound or so more to go through someone with a higher feedback score and history.
    • Smb3088
    • By Smb3088 11th Jul 17, 8:53 PM
    • 162 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    Smb3088
    • 11th Jul 17, 8:53 PM
    • 11th Jul 17, 8:53 PM
    Thank you, I'll Defo try find a good seller.
    There's some office 365 products suggesting they are lifetime. And won't expire. I don't understand this, when 365 is a subscription ? How can they advertise lifetime accounts?
    • SeduLOUs
    • By SeduLOUs 11th Jul 17, 8:59 PM
    • 1,970 Posts
    • 2,335 Thanks
    SeduLOUs
    • 11th Jul 17, 8:59 PM
    • 11th Jul 17, 8:59 PM
    If you don't need heavy usage then Open Office and even Google Documents are both pretty good and completely free...
    • angryparcel
    • By angryparcel 11th Jul 17, 9:19 PM
    • 910 Posts
    • 516 Thanks
    angryparcel
    • 11th Jul 17, 9:19 PM
    • 11th Jul 17, 9:19 PM
    There's some office 365 products suggesting they are lifetime. And won't expire. I don't understand this, when 365 is a subscription ? How can they advertise lifetime accounts?
    Originally posted by Smb3088
    educational licences
    I purchased 1, had to get login to club area in microsofts portal.office.com site . just checked and it seems the guy i got mine from has 0 items for sale now
    • Neil49
    • By Neil49 12th Jul 17, 10:14 AM
    • 1,184 Posts
    • 581 Thanks
    Neil49
    • 12th Jul 17, 10:14 AM
    • 12th Jul 17, 10:14 AM
    If you don't need heavy usage then Open Office and even Google Documents are both pretty good and completely free...
    Originally posted by SeduLOUs
    Add Libre Office to this list. Just change the Save As settings to default to MS Word format rather than .odt and you are good to go.

I've used this for years and had no problems.

https://www.libreoffice.org/
    • wongataa
    • By wongataa 12th Jul 17, 10:29 AM
    • 1,008 Posts
    • 541 Thanks
    wongataa
    • 12th Jul 17, 10:29 AM
    • 12th Jul 17, 10:29 AM
    Originally posted by Smb3088
    Because they are not legitimate.
    • angryparcel
    • By angryparcel 12th Jul 17, 12:58 PM
    • 910 Posts
    • 516 Thanks
    angryparcel
    • 12th Jul 17, 12:58 PM
    • 12th Jul 17, 12:58 PM
    Because they are not legitimate.
    Originally posted by wongataa
    they are legit, they use educational licences, which are bulk licences and technically are only to be used for educations establishments
    • wealdroam
    • By wealdroam 12th Jul 17, 1:48 PM
    • 18,640 Posts
    • 15,521 Thanks
    wealdroam
    • 12th Jul 17, 1:48 PM
    • 12th Jul 17, 1:48 PM
    they are legit, they use educational licences, which are bulk licences and technically are only to be used for educations establishments
    Originally posted by angryparcel
    "technically"??

I would suggest that "legally" would be a better word in that sentence.

Thus they are not 'legit'.
    • angryparcel
    • By angryparcel 12th Jul 17, 2:25 PM
    • 910 Posts
    • 516 Thanks
    angryparcel
    "technically"??

I would suggest that "legally" would be a better word in that sentence.

Thus they are not 'legit'.
    Originally posted by wealdroam
    If you are a student they you can use these licences, this is why you have to sign up to account on the portal.office.com site with a generated username and password. it is the same way schools and colleges do it, they get these licences which each licence may have 20 keys attached to it, so they can gives out 20 keys per licence to 20 students, so the licences are genuine. i can install either office2016 or office365
    • shaun from Africa
    • By shaun from Africa 12th Jul 17, 5:00 PM
    • 9,292 Posts
    • 10,459 Thanks
    shaun from Africa
    If you are a student they you can use these licences, this is why you have to sign up to account on the portal.office.com site with a generated username and password. it is the same way schools and colleges do it, they get these licences which each licence may have 20 keys attached to it, so they can gives out 20 keys per licence to 20 students, so the licences are genuine. i can install either office2016 or office365
    Originally posted by angryparcel

Surely the relevant point isn't that the licences are genuine but the fact that reselling those licences on ebay (or elsewhere) will be a breach of the MS licencing conditions, hence the people buying and using the software are not entitled to use it, thus it was not a legitimate sale nor is the new user using it legitimately.
    • dosh37
    • By dosh37 12th Jul 17, 5:58 PM
    • 120 Posts
    • 38 Thanks
    dosh37
    I can sympathise with your problem.
    For several years I used MS Ofiice 2003 under Win XP.
    It took some time to get used to it.
    Eventually I was forced to upgrade to Win 10.
    This meant Office 2003 no longer worked.
    I was forced to use Office 2013 which I disliked (and still do)
    To me it seems like they took a good, well understood and well liked product and changed it for no good reason other than to make it different.
    • J B
    • By J B 12th Jul 17, 9:01 PM
    • 2,206 Posts
    • 706 Thanks
    J B
    To me it seems like they took a good, well understood and well liked product and changed it for no good reason other than to make it different.
    Originally posted by dosh37
    Isn't that what all 'upgrades' do?

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,030Posts Today

8,325Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin