Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Bambinoxx
    • By Bambinoxx 11th Jul 17, 7:33 PM
    • 9Posts
    • 14Thanks
    Bambinoxx
    Have you all opened another email address??
    • 11th Jul 17, 7:33 PM
    Have you all opened another email address?? 11th Jul 17 at 7:33 PM
    Hi all...
    I'm fairly new to comping and i think i made the first mistake of using my regular email address. I intended on opening another one however i only got around to it today...2 weeks in

anyone use their regular email account? if so how do you cope with the emails??
Page 1
    • cagsd
    • By cagsd 11th Jul 17, 7:37 PM
    • 5,746 Posts
    • 136,074 Thanks
    cagsd
    • 11th Jul 17, 7:37 PM
    • 11th Jul 17, 7:37 PM
    I may be in the minority, but I've always just used my standard email address for comping. At one point I was getting a couple of hundred emails a day (even after mostly not ticking to accept newsletters!) but I had a mad spree of unsubscribing, and now I just unsubscribe as the mails come in, and I don't have a problem at all.

• Marg2k8
    • By Marg2k8 11th Jul 17, 7:48 PM
    • 4,168 Posts
    • 152,083 Thanks
    Marg2k8
    • 11th Jul 17, 7:48 PM
    • 11th Jul 17, 7:48 PM
    I use another email address for comping. If you do open another email address, don't call it something obviously comping related.

• Bambinoxx
    • By Bambinoxx 11th Jul 17, 7:49 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    Bambinoxx
    • 11th Jul 17, 7:49 PM
    • 11th Jul 17, 7:49 PM
    Thank you for getting back to me! The only problem i have is that i am worried if i unsubscribe i may not be eligible to enter the competition? Is that not usually the case?
    • mansey
    • By mansey 11th Jul 17, 8:00 PM
    • 3,308 Posts
    • 11,446 Thanks
    mansey
    • 11th Jul 17, 8:00 PM
    • 11th Jul 17, 8:00 PM
    I only have one email address.

I try to clear it out most nights.
    “I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints.”
    ― Billy Joel
    • Blulu
    • By Blulu 11th Jul 17, 8:11 PM
    • 5,210 Posts
    • 85,838 Thanks
    Blulu
    • 11th Jul 17, 8:11 PM
    • 11th Jul 17, 8:11 PM
    I've always used one email address for everything, but I admit that when I get some time, I am going to set up a new personal email address, for everything non-comping, and then at some point, an email address just for comping. I don't mind the spam emails so much, but the phishing and scamming ones are getting to me a bit now.

Blu X
    Comping fairy fly to me. Make my bells go tinkle.
    Get your dust out for the lads, and let me have a sprinkle.
    • mjm3346
    • By mjm3346 11th Jul 17, 8:12 PM
    • 35,251 Posts
    • 230,490 Thanks
    mjm3346
    • 11th Jul 17, 8:12 PM
    • 11th Jul 17, 8:12 PM
    Thank you for getting back to me! The only problem i have is that i am worried if i unsubscribe i may not be eligible to enter the competition? Is that not usually the case?
    Originally posted by Bambinoxx
    That would depend on the competition T&Cs and whether or not they require you to subscribe and remain a subscriber for the length of the competition.

I maintain several e-mail addresses and keep personal/banking etc well clear of my comping and that generally makes phishing ones very easy to spot and keeps the "real" stuff clutter free as well.
    • nelie
    • By nelie 11th Jul 17, 8:20 PM
    • 1,226 Posts
    • 8,514 Thanks
    nelie
    • 11th Jul 17, 8:20 PM
    • 11th Jul 17, 8:20 PM
    I've got a comping one and a personal 'professional' one which has my name in it.

I keep the two separate as I get too many emails to go through on my personal one.
    I always keep subscriptions unless it becomes spammy!
    Latest Win: Football Kit for a whole team
    October Wins: 2
    2017 Wishlist: Bike|Vouchers|Camera Equipment|Skiing Gear|Camping Gear|Running Gear
    Thanks to all posters - Have a lucky 2017
    • JesElis
    • By JesElis 11th Jul 17, 8:22 PM
    • 28 Posts
    • 221 Thanks
    JesElis
    • 11th Jul 17, 8:22 PM
    • 11th Jul 17, 8:22 PM
    I have 3 email addys, 1 specifically for competitions and associated newsletter sign ups. The other 2 are for friends and 'official' stuff. It's much easier for me that way as it keeps everything separate so nothing important is buried. I like order

The comp email gets a fair bit of spam where clearly a company I legit gave the address to has forwarded my email to some other mailing list A quick scan down to check for anything that's possibly a wem or an interesting newsletter, then a mass delete of the superfluous!
    • MrJones1
    • By MrJones1 11th Jul 17, 8:26 PM
    • 116 Posts
    • 58 Thanks
    MrJones1
    If you're having problems with your inbox being flooded with spam or whatever you call it, you always have the option to unsubscribe. You often find it on the bottom of the mail. When you comp, it's advised that you set up a dedicated email address. Read this guide:

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/family/Competitions-comping-win
    • Blulu
    • By Blulu 11th Jul 17, 8:31 PM
    • 5,210 Posts
    • 85,838 Thanks
    Blulu
    If you're having problems with your inbox being flooded with spam or whatever you call it, you always have the option to unsubscribe. You often find it on the bottom of the mail. When you comp, it's advised that you set up a dedicated email address. Read this guide:

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/family/Competitions-comping-win
    Originally posted by MrJones1
    True, but worth saying, don't ever do this with something phishy. You shouldn't click on any of their links, it could lead to ransomware, a virus or any other type of malware.

Blu X
    Comping fairy fly to me. Make my bells go tinkle.
    Get your dust out for the lads, and let me have a sprinkle.
    • sleepyjones
    • By sleepyjones 12th Jul 17, 12:05 PM
    • 3,366 Posts
    • 268,180 Thanks
    sleepyjones
    If you use Hotmail/Outlook you can just setup an alias in your main account, so all your emails will go into the same account but it'll use a different email address, easy to do, deets here : http://www.thewindowsclub.com/create-add-use-outlook-email-alias

(Need to disable ad-block on this particular site, but if you Google you'll find another page)
    • topaz13
    • By topaz13 12th Jul 17, 12:22 PM
    • 77 Posts
    • 174 Thanks
    topaz13
    One account and a robust filtering system.
    • happysaz133
    • By happysaz133 13th Jul 17, 1:40 PM
    • 849 Posts
    • 14,071 Thanks
    happysaz133
    I have one only. I am too scatty with remembering emails and passwords to have 2. I tried once but I just got stressed trying to remember to check it!
    I just enter and forget...hoping to win something!
    • hamsterfan1
    • By hamsterfan1 14th Jul 17, 7:51 AM
    • 7,726 Posts
    • 70,372 Thanks
    hamsterfan1
    I only have one, no-one else emails me
    prood gran to 4 lovely boys
    • Zanzib
    • By Zanzib 15th Jul 17, 6:53 PM
    • 3,976 Posts
    • 56,851 Thanks
    Zanzib
    I have one specifically for comping so totally separate from my personal and professional email addresses.
    • Blueyez
    • By Blueyez 15th Jul 17, 9:31 PM
    • 2,297 Posts
    • 16,988 Thanks
    Blueyez
    I did open a different one for comping because it was getting out of control-but I seem to being having less luck with the "new" email address! I've won once with it in the just over a year of having it...yet had a few wins when I entered the old one still. No idea why...
    2017 wins: Thomas Sabo diary:GF goodies: Umbrella: Caran d'Ache pens:Xmen merch:sunny D socks: Staedtler pencils: Years worth SunnyD: Zaini hat: DespicableMe bundle:PNY bundle: PilotPen & book: personalised Yull shoes:Colouring book:PostIt pack:cashmere jumper
    • ChamomileTao
    • By ChamomileTao 16th Jul 17, 9:04 AM
    • 126 Posts
    • 423 Thanks
    ChamomileTao
    I find you always end up accidentally putting your 'professional' email into a comp for or worse your comping one onto some job applications or something, best to stick to one which sounds non compy and reasonably 'adult'.
    • mjm3346
    • By mjm3346 16th Jul 17, 4:58 PM
    • 35,251 Posts
    • 230,490 Thanks
    mjm3346
    I find you always end up accidentally putting your 'professional' email into a comp for or worse your comping one onto some job applications or something, best to stick to one which sounds non compy and reasonably 'adult'.
    Originally posted by ChamomileTao
    Never done that in over 7 years but I use a form filler for comping and not for real stuff - not that it would matter much as none of the e-mails have anything strange in the address.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

130Posts Today

1,727Users online

Martin's Twitter