Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • SR71
    • By SR71 11th Jul 17, 7:24 PM
    • 4Posts
    • 0Thanks
    SR71
    Section 75 protection
    • 11th Jul 17, 7:24 PM
    Section 75 protection 11th Jul 17 at 7:24 PM
    Hi all, my wife and I are close to completing a car purchase, we are paying via bank transfer so no actual finance involved. We intend to put the minimum of £100 on a credit card to provide Section 75 protection, Now my question is, if I pay on MY credit card (the car is going to be registered to my wife) will we benefit from this protection? I've read about "third party" involvement so would this be the case of me using my card. Also my wife is the "additional card holder" on a credit card I got years ago and I don't use mine, again, "additional" holders is a grey area, but I have read on MSE that items such as cars where it will be a family car "likely to be ok". I am not allowed to post the link.
Page 1
    • PeacefulWaters
    • By PeacefulWaters 11th Jul 17, 7:26 PM
    • 6,852 Posts
    • 8,441 Thanks
    PeacefulWaters
    • 11th Jul 17, 7:26 PM
    • 11th Jul 17, 7:26 PM
    It's a very grey area. Safest bet is for at least £1 of the purchase to be put on a credit card where the card used and the account charged have your wife's name.
    • McKneff
    • By McKneff 11th Jul 17, 7:29 PM
    • 35,521 Posts
    • 45,718 Thanks
    McKneff
    • 11th Jul 17, 7:29 PM
    • 11th Jul 17, 7:29 PM
    Same name is reqired on card and purchase for the protection.
    As above, it can be as little as £1
    No one can make you feel inferior without your consent
    • SR71
    • By SR71 11th Jul 17, 7:32 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    SR71
    • 11th Jul 17, 7:32 PM
    • 11th Jul 17, 7:32 PM
    moneysavingexpert.com/shopping/section75-protect-your-purchases
    • eskbanker
    • By eskbanker 11th Jul 17, 7:33 PM
    • 5,465 Posts
    • 5,270 Thanks
    eskbanker
    • 11th Jul 17, 7:33 PM
    • 11th Jul 17, 7:33 PM
    Register the car in your name, transferring it to her later if you choose to do so?
    • SR71
    • By SR71 11th Jul 17, 7:34 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    SR71
    • 11th Jul 17, 7:34 PM
    • 11th Jul 17, 7:34 PM
    Link is above minus the 3 w's!!! So my wife's card is in HER name but the account is mine. But as the "additional card holder" will it be covered?
    • eskbanker
    • By eskbanker 11th Jul 17, 7:44 PM
    • 5,465 Posts
    • 5,270 Thanks
    eskbanker
    • 11th Jul 17, 7:44 PM
    • 11th Jul 17, 7:44 PM
    Worth reading this recent thread (and many others before it): http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5674594

That MSE article skims the surface of this subject and in my opinion shouldn't be relied on for such a complex issue....
    • PeacefulWaters
    • By PeacefulWaters 11th Jul 17, 8:03 PM
    • 6,852 Posts
    • 8,441 Thanks
    PeacefulWaters
    • 11th Jul 17, 8:03 PM
    • 11th Jul 17, 8:03 PM
    Link is above minus the 3 w's!!! So my wife's card is in HER name but the account is mine. But as the "additional card holder" will it be covered?
    Originally posted by SR71
    I'd say no.

But it's a murky area and unless you're prepared to test the law on the issue (which will need you to submit a claim that is denied and will then cost you a small fortune) then you won't find out.
    • MEM62
    • By MEM62 12th Jul 17, 10:00 AM
    • 1,330 Posts
    • 954 Thanks
    MEM62
    • 12th Jul 17, 10:00 AM
    • 12th Jul 17, 10:00 AM
    If your trust in the dealer is that poor that you feel you need to have additional protection in place perhaps you should consider buying the car elsewhere.
    • chattychappy
    • By chattychappy 12th Jul 17, 12:24 PM
    • 6,305 Posts
    • 3,299 Thanks
    chattychappy
    If your trust in the dealer is that poor that you feel you need to have additional protection in place perhaps you should consider buying the car elsewhere.
    Originally posted by MEM62
    Yes.

S75 isn't some nice feature that CCs bundle in because they want to help their cardholders.

From the CC's point of view(*), it's a loophole from legislation of a bygone era. It places onerous obligations on them in respect of transactions over which they have little control. Within the "loophole" there are further "loopholes" that gives them an exit route. Plus, if they make it a little tricky for cardholders, many will just give up.

S75 is a backup. If you tick the boxes it can be handy. But don't expect it to be an easy ride, even if you have a good claim. Better to avoid trouble in the first place.

(* and mine, for what it's worth)
    • takman
    • By takman 12th Jul 17, 5:58 PM
    • 2,622 Posts
    • 2,178 Thanks
    takman
    Originally posted by MEM62
    Even when you trust the dealer then there is no harm in using a credit card to get some extra protection.

I did this a few years ago when buying a car for my partner. The dealer i bought it from seemed to be trustworthy and honest and the car was exactly how they described it.

But it still didn't stop me from paying £10 on a credit card and getting them to add a statement to the warranty and signing it (some of the things i was told orally were not written in the terms and conditions). It's better to be safe than sorry.
    • chattychappy
    • By chattychappy 12th Jul 17, 11:52 PM
    • 6,305 Posts
    • 3,299 Thanks
    chattychappy
    and getting them to add a statement to the warranty and signing it (some of the things i was told orally were not written in the terms and conditions). It's better to be safe than sorry.
    Originally posted by takman
    Great stuff!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

710Posts Today

5,875Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: 'Sometimes the best gift is releasing somebody else from the obligation of having to give to you' says @MartinSLewis. Do y?

• Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Follow Martin