Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • icheckmate
    • By icheckmate 11th Jul 17, 7:21 PM
    • 7Posts
    • 0Thanks
    icheckmate
    Credit File from Credit Expert
    • 11th Jul 17, 7:21 PM
    Credit File from Credit Expert 11th Jul 17 at 7:21 PM
    Hi,

I like many others have a very poor credit file. I am now 28 and looking to settle down into an adult life. Unfortunately I have been completely irresponsible with money since I was 18 and have a credit score to show for it.

I signed up to Credit Expert to view my details and see how bad things really are.
    Out of the possible 999 my credit score is a shocking 64.

I have current defaults. I believe these will fall off my credit report after 6 years. The 6 year mark is between July to October 2018.

Question 1.
    Given I have been nearly 5/6 years without making any payments or contacting these companies, is it in my best interest to call and set payment arrangements or avoid them for 1 more year? For example will these details stay on my credit file for a longer period of time if I set up an arrangement now or will it benefit me to simply continue ignoring them?

Question 2.
    How quickly can I expect to increase my credit score to what would be considered average/reasonable and what steps would you recommend taking to do this?

Thank you in advance

Steve
Page 1
    • zx81
    • By zx81 11th Jul 17, 7:35 PM
    • 13,167 Posts
    • 13,482 Thanks
    zx81
    • 11th Jul 17, 7:35 PM
    • 11th Jul 17, 7:35 PM
    1. The accounts will drop off 6 years from default However, if they gain a CCJ, it's another 6 years. Are you still at the same address - will you know if you get served CCJ papers?

2. Your score may or may not increase. It doesn't matter either way. What matters is getting rid of bad history and building good. Getting a credit card and clearing in full each month is the best way of doing that.
    • icheckmate
    • By icheckmate 11th Jul 17, 8:11 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    icheckmate
    • 11th Jul 17, 8:11 PM
    • 11th Jul 17, 8:11 PM
    I have no CCJs currently. I am in Scotland. Do you think it is likely debts for around 1k each will go down that route?

What happens if I get a CCJ and but I am not informed. What happens if I dont turn up to court?
    • icheckmate
    • By icheckmate 11th Jul 17, 8:12 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    icheckmate
    • 11th Jul 17, 8:12 PM
    Also, if I start paying them, will they still fall off after the original 6 year mark or will it reropen the account to another 6 years?
    • zx81
    • By zx81 11th Jul 17, 8:12 PM
    • 13,167 Posts
    • 13,482 Thanks
    zx81
    You'll end up with a CCJ.

A poster on this board got one this week for £350.

If you pay within 30 days, it will be removed. If not, it's another 6 years - or 5 years in Scotland I believe.
    • icheckmate
    • By icheckmate 11th Jul 17, 8:37 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    icheckmate
    • 11th Jul 17, 8:37 PM
    • 11th Jul 17, 8:37 PM
    if I start paying them, will they still fall off after the original 6 year mark or will it reropen the account to another 6 years?
    • zx81
    • By zx81 11th Jul 17, 8:39 PM
    • 13,167 Posts
    • 13,482 Thanks
    zx81
    • 11th Jul 17, 8:39 PM
    • 11th Jul 17, 8:39 PM
    They'll still fall off after 6 (or 5) years.
    • icheckmate
    • By icheckmate 11th Jul 17, 8:59 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    icheckmate
    • 11th Jul 17, 8:59 PM
    • 11th Jul 17, 8:59 PM
    One question.

I have been led to believe that in Scotland debt is Statute barred after 5 years.

All of the defaults are over 5 years now. Can I still get a CCJ now? How do I know or what do I need to do to ensure they are statute barred?
    • zx81
    • By zx81 11th Jul 17, 9:02 PM
    • 13,167 Posts
    • 13,482 Thanks
    zx81
    • 11th Jul 17, 9:02 PM
    • 11th Jul 17, 9:02 PM
    Check the default dates on your credit files.
    • icheckmate
    • By icheckmate 11th Jul 17, 9:02 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    icheckmate
    I have checked the dates. Is it just automatically statute barred once the 5 year mark has passed from default date?
    • zx81
    • By zx81 11th Jul 17, 9:05 PM
    • 13,167 Posts
    • 13,482 Thanks
    zx81
    Have you made any acknowledgement of the debts since the defaults?

The time will run from the last date you did, or the default if not.

The defaults themselves drop off after 5 years.
    • icheckmate
    • By icheckmate 11th Jul 17, 9:28 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    icheckmate
    I do not believe I had made acknowledgments since.

How can I tell the last date I made a payment without calling, making the acknowledgment for the information?
    • GeoffSpar8
    • By GeoffSpar8 11th Jul 17, 9:35 PM
    • 23 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    GeoffSpar8
    OP - speaking from experience, I would leave it a year and see who comes chasing. Most hand over DCAs and do not pursue court action.

Get yourself a credit building credit card (Capital One accept most people and isn't seen as necessarily a "bad credit" credit card as they used to do one at 5% APR.)

Build up the history, paying off in full and never missing a payment.

I was in a similar situation to you and my last defaults fall off at the end of next month. Can't wait.
    • kink_bosslady
    • By kink_bosslady 13th Jul 17, 11:41 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    kink_bosslady
    Unlike the rest of the UK, statute barred debts in Scotland come into effect if the debt is 5 years old, rather than 6 years.

There is a set of conditions involved in statute barred debts as follows:

1) There must be no outstanding decree against you.

2) There must be no record of payment made towards the debt in the last 5 years.

3) There must be no written communication between the creditor and you to say that the debt has been acknowledged.

All three conditions must be met in order for the debt in question to be classed as statute barred. If a debt is statute barred, this basically means that it no longer exists and creditors or debt collection agencies have no right to hassle you.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,022Posts Today

8,717Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin