Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Littlecatpaw
    • By Littlecatpaw 11th Jul 17, 7:02 PM
    • 7Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Littlecatpaw
    Help please! Housing benefit
    • 11th Jul 17, 7:02 PM
    Help please! Housing benefit 11th Jul 17 at 7:02 PM
    Hi,
    I'm a single mum of one who is currently claiming partial housing benefit, working tax credit and child tax credit. I'm currently working 16 hours for the NHS. I have got a meeting next week at a stage 3 hearing which Can result in a decision to dismiss me from my post straight away due to 6 sick events in the last year. My question is regarding wether I could lose my housing benefit? I know I will not be able to claim jsa for a minimum of 3 weeks but my main fear is losing mine and my sons home. Would housing benefit cover all my rent? Could they make me leave my home? Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Just need to try and put my mind at rest before I have a complete nervous breakdown! Thanks in advance! X
Page 1
    • marliepanda
    • By marliepanda 11th Jul 17, 7:14 PM
    • 4,560 Posts
    • 9,181 Thanks
    marliepanda
    • 11th Jul 17, 7:14 PM
    • 11th Jul 17, 7:14 PM
    They won't stop your housing benefit. It may be reassessed on your new income.

They may pay your full rent, they may not, depending on how much your local authority rate is compared to your rent.
    Survey Earnings 2017 - £163
    • Littlecatpaw
    • By Littlecatpaw 11th Jul 17, 7:22 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Littlecatpaw
    • 11th Jul 17, 7:22 PM
    • 11th Jul 17, 7:22 PM
    Thank you! Hopefully they will cover all my rent whilst I am looking for a new job! Hopefully that doesn't happen but unfortunately they have taken things this far so doesn't look too good for me :-(
    • marliepanda
    • By marliepanda 11th Jul 17, 7:43 PM
    • 4,560 Posts
    • 9,181 Thanks
    marliepanda
    • 11th Jul 17, 7:43 PM
    • 11th Jul 17, 7:43 PM
    Thank you! Hopefully they will cover all my rent whilst I am looking for a new job! Hopefully that doesn't happen but unfortunately they have taken things this far so doesn't look too good for me :-(
    Originally posted by Littlecatpaw
    Have you checked your local authority rate (I will assume for a 2 bed property) against your rent?
    Survey Earnings 2017 - £163
    • Littlecatpaw
    • By Littlecatpaw 11th Jul 17, 7:54 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Littlecatpaw
    • 11th Jul 17, 7:54 PM
    • 11th Jul 17, 7:54 PM
    I think it works out at about £1 less than my rent. So within the limits I believe
    • jessex1990
    • By jessex1990 11th Jul 17, 9:50 PM
    • 135 Posts
    • 73 Thanks
    jessex1990
    • 11th Jul 17, 9:50 PM
    • 11th Jul 17, 9:50 PM
    I think it works out at about £1 less than my rent. So within the limits I believe
    Originally posted by Littlecatpaw
    That's good so you would only have to find £1 aweek
    • Housing Benefit Officer
    • By Housing Benefit Officer 12th Jul 17, 5:51 AM
    • 2,309 Posts
    • 4,131 Thanks
    Housing Benefit Officer
    • 12th Jul 17, 5:51 AM
    • 12th Jul 17, 5:51 AM
    Unlike the DWP the reason why your job ceased isn't relevant in awarding Housing Benefit - we just look at you actual weekly income. If you cease work and your wages stop then we remove the wages from the benefit calculation.
    These are my own views and you should seek advice from your local Benefits Department or CAB.
    • Torry Quine
    • By Torry Quine 12th Jul 17, 2:08 PM
    • 16,852 Posts
    • 25,674 Thanks
    Torry Quine
    • 12th Jul 17, 2:08 PM
    • 12th Jul 17, 2:08 PM
    I'm not sure why you think that you won't be able to claim JSA for a minimum of three weeks. You should put in a claim straight away. If they decided you are to be sanctioned it could be much longer than three weeks.
    Life is like riding a bicycle, to keep your balance you must keep moving . Albert Einstein.

I can bear pain myself, he said softly, but I couldna bear yours. That would take more strength than I have -
    Diana Gabaldon, Outlander
    • Littlecatpaw
    • By Littlecatpaw 12th Jul 17, 7:02 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Littlecatpaw
    • 12th Jul 17, 7:02 PM
    • 12th Jul 17, 7:02 PM
    Thank you for both your replies! The jsa part of my issues is less bothersome for me as I will find some way to make ends meet! I know that the minimum sanction is three weeks for the jsa but am expecting it to be longer! Just scared of losing mine and my sons home but as long as housing benefit covers my rent I'm sure I will be able to find some way of coping on my child tax credits (£60 per week)
    • Marmiter
    • By Marmiter 13th Jul 17, 2:01 PM
    • 308 Posts
    • 549 Thanks
    Marmiter
    You should get a 4 week run on of working tax credits, which means that no matter what reason your job finished, your income may be too high to qualify for JSA anyway (depending on what your WTC award is).

If you're not getting any help with your council tax at the moment, make sure you make a new claim for CTR/CTS once your income changes.
    • Guest101
    • By Guest101 13th Jul 17, 2:55 PM
    • 14,477 Posts
    • 14,159 Thanks
    Guest101
    How long have you worked there?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,177Posts Today

4,790Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin