Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Colligan
    • By Colligan 11th Jul 17, 6:56 PM
    • 5Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Colligan
    Letter from past credit solutions
    • 11th Jul 17, 6:56 PM
    Letter from past credit solutions 11th Jul 17 at 6:56 PM
    Wanted some advice on something.

I've come home from work to be greeted by a letter from past credit solutions saying i owe £1000 in relation to tax credits.

I did have tax credits as i was on a low paid job around 12 years ago but i am not in debt with anyone as far as i know and aware of.

Also the letter is addressed to miss (i'm a man) and my first intial (not full name) plus an e (guessing a middle name) i have no middle name.

Should i just ignore this as surely this would have no legal standing if they were tried to enforce the debt as im a man not a women and have no middle name.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Many Thanks.
Page 1
    • zx81
    • By zx81 11th Jul 17, 7:04 PM
    • 12,516 Posts
    • 12,681 Thanks
    zx81
    • 11th Jul 17, 7:04 PM
    • 11th Jul 17, 7:04 PM
    It's likely to be them trying to trace someone with similar details.

I would check your credit files to ensure nothing is on there.
    • Colligan
    • By Colligan 11th Jul 17, 7:25 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Colligan
    • 11th Jul 17, 7:25 PM
    • 11th Jul 17, 7:25 PM
    I will check my credit files thanks, why would they be trying to locate someone when they have the correct address, correct first intial?

Where would they get that info from?

I know a women lived here before me but i'm not sure what her name was.
    • zx81
    • By zx81 11th Jul 17, 7:30 PM
    • 12,516 Posts
    • 12,681 Thanks
    zx81
    • 11th Jul 17, 7:30 PM
    • 11th Jul 17, 7:30 PM
    You said the name was wrong, but at your address. So they don't know if they have the correct address.

They're looking for a AB Smith for example. You're an AB Smith. Maybe it's you. Maybe it's not.

But 50 letters to 50 AB Smiths might unearth the right one
    • Colligan
    • By Colligan 11th Jul 17, 7:36 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Colligan
    • 11th Jul 17, 7:36 PM
    • 11th Jul 17, 7:36 PM
    Thanks for you help.

Yes they have the right surname and the first intial (which are both correct, not a full name though just an intial) but as i say they have miss and im a man and and another intial after my first intial however i have no middle name just a first and last name.

Are they allowed to do that though? Just sending out letters and stuff.

If someone was to come around i.e debt collector surely it would have no legal standing as its a miss and they have another intial?

Thanks again for you help.
    • zx81
    • By zx81 11th Jul 17, 7:38 PM
    • 12,516 Posts
    • 12,681 Thanks
    zx81
    • 11th Jul 17, 7:38 PM
    • 11th Jul 17, 7:38 PM
    Sure they're allowed to do it. Someone owes them money and they'd like to find them.

If you owe them money and they can prove it, it has legal standing, If they don't, it hasn't.

Whether they are seeking you or someone else is currently unknown. It sound to me like they're looking for someone else, as they're likely to have got the gender right.
    • Colligan
    • By Colligan 11th Jul 17, 7:46 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Colligan
    • 11th Jul 17, 7:46 PM
    • 11th Jul 17, 7:46 PM
    Ok thanks, so they have likely searched for someone with my first intial and my surname in my local area then hoping one is a hit?

It says our client is hm revnue and customs.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

194Posts Today

1,285Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin