Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MrStanners
    • By MrStanners 11th Jul 17, 6:46 PM
    • 31Posts
    • 4Thanks
    MrStanners
    Car fault reported under warranty but not acknowledged until warranty expired
    • 11th Jul 17, 6:46 PM
    Car fault reported under warranty but not acknowledged until warranty expired 11th Jul 17 at 6:46 PM
    Hi,

My car had a 5 year manufacturers warranty.
    It has an intermittent dashboard fault and I took it to the dealer last year just before the warranty expired to have it checked, they said they couldn't detect the fault. The fault is a bit annoying but I can live with it.

I have just had it serviced and I again reported the dashboard fault, the car is now nearly 6 years old. This time they said the instrument panel needs replacing and it'll cost over £1100 and it isn't a warranty repair. I explained on the phone about me reporting it when it was still under warranty but I didn't get anywhere.

I don't intend to pay £1100, if gets worse I would try to get it repaired or get a second hand part fitted.

Is is just bad luck for me and there is nothing I can do about getting it replaced under the 5 year warranty, or do I have any rights because I reported the fault before the 5 year warranty expired?

Apologies if this question should be in the Motoring forum but I'm trying to find out my rights.
    Thanks
Page 1
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 11th Jul 17, 7:32 PM
    • 3,494 Posts
    • 3,551 Thanks
    DoaM
    • 11th Jul 17, 7:32 PM
    • 11th Jul 17, 7:32 PM
    Warranties are in addition to your consumer rights, so can have any reasonable conditions attached. What conditions were attached to this warranty?
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
    • MrStanners
    • By MrStanners 11th Jul 17, 7:51 PM
    • 31 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    MrStanners
    • 11th Jul 17, 7:51 PM
    • 11th Jul 17, 7:51 PM
    It has limited coverage for some items which may be expected to wear out, e.g. clutch, brakes, bulbs. These shorter life items are listed and the dashboard display is not in them.

It also has a more general "fair wear and tear" exception. However I don't think it's reasonable for a dashboard display to become faulty within 5 years. Or if it is then it should be identified as a shorter life item.

There are also conditions re careless handling, accident, improper use of vehicle but I haven't done any of them so they don't apply.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

374Posts Today

5,218Users online

Martin's Twitter