Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Randombloke
    • By Randombloke 11th Jul 17, 5:51 PM
    • 12Posts
    • 1Thanks
    Randombloke
    Council tax CCJ - help required
    • 11th Jul 17, 5:51 PM
    Council tax CCJ - help required 11th Jul 17 at 5:51 PM
    Hi all
    I've recently discovered that I have a CCJ registered against me relating to council tax and wonder if there's anything I can do to get this removed from the credit reference agencies files.

Essentially, I struggled for years to pay my council tax and as I'm very effective at playing bailiff companys at their own game, I had built up a number of years worth of arrears that the council were unable to collect. Things came to a head last year when the council decided to get a charging order for the amount owed registered against my property, which they did via the local county court. That all fine, and was expected, and is a good result for me as I don't have to immediately find the money.

The problem is, registry trust shows the CCJ and its therefore been picked up by the credit reference agencies (equifax, callcredit, experian). There's lots of info out there that says council tax shouldnt be listed on credit reference files, but I guess this is a fairly unusual case.

Any advice as to how I might go about getting the agencies to remove it from their records?

thanks in advance for any help or advice!
    Last edited by Randombloke; 11-07-2017 at 5:54 PM. Reason: additional info added
Page 3
    • ciderboy2009
    • By ciderboy2009 29th Nov 17, 8:54 AM
    • 309 Posts
    • 272 Thanks
    ciderboy2009
    Not sure where the 'tribunal award' comes from, a tribunal has nothing to do with a charging order.
    Originally posted by CIS
    I would imagine that this was just something the court said as it would follow the same process as enforcement of a tribunal award.

Having said that, enforcement of awards such as this it a very rare occurrence in the County Courts so the likelihood of speaking to a member of staff with more than basic knowledge of the process is very low.

When you add this to the fact that 99% of staff in the County Courts have no legal qualifications then I would suggest that the best place to get advice would be a solicitor.

Just to add a bit of information on how CCJ's are passed to Registry Trust - this is now fully automated through the court case management system. As long as the case type is one which should be registered then entry of the judgment details onto the system will trigger the electronic notification.

In this case it seems to me that the correct case type has been used as the order produced is of the correct type.
    • moatmeister
    • By moatmeister 29th Nov 17, 12:54 PM
    • 272 Posts
    • 47 Thanks
    moatmeister
    So if my judgment was registered 8th september as the court tell me, would you expect me to be able to see it on my credit file or with registry trust at this stage or is it still too early?
    • ciderboy2009
    • By ciderboy2009 29th Nov 17, 2:32 PM
    • 309 Posts
    • 272 Thanks
    ciderboy2009
    So if my judgment was registered 8th september as the court tell me, would you expect me to be able to see it on my credit file or with registry trust at this stage or is it still too early?
    Originally posted by moatmeister
    Unfortunately that's something I'm not too sure about - my time working in the County Court was a while back so I'm not sure about the procedures nowadays.
    There were certain types of judgment where it wasn't actually regitered until the Claimant issued Enforcement proceedings - Charging orders were something I never dealt with much so I'm not sure if this would be classed as Interim Order or Final Order stage.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,141Posts Today

7,052Users online

Martin's Twitter