Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • trinity_enigma
    • By trinity_enigma 11th Jul 17, 4:19 PM
    • 452Posts
    • 777Thanks
    trinity_enigma
    Smelly carpet
    • 11th Jul 17, 4:19 PM
    Smelly carpet 11th Jul 17 at 4:19 PM
    Hello! I've come home and walked in the living room and noticed a smell of wee. I can only assume my 3yo has had a secret wee somewhere without me noticing, it has then dried and resulted in the smell.

We don't have a carpet cleaner so does anyone else have a good remedy? I was thinking of sprinkling bicarb over the carpet and giving it a vacuum. Would that likely work?

Thanks in advance
Page 1
    • glentoran99
    • By glentoran99 11th Jul 17, 4:23 PM
    • 4,402 Posts
    • 3,246 Thanks
    glentoran99
    • 11th Jul 17, 4:23 PM
    Washing powder, leave it overnight and hoover it up, Works a dream for vomit smells so cant see why it wouldn't work with pee
    • krlyr
    • By krlyr 11th Jul 17, 4:23 PM
    • 5,749 Posts
    • 11,859 Thanks
    krlyr
    I would try with white vinegar or a solution of biological washing powder to wash the area rather than just sprinkling bicarb on the surface - it may have even seeped through to the underlay or even the floor below.

Not quite OS, and tt's meant for animal accidents, but "Simple Solution" is a great product actually and don't see why it wouldn't work for human wee either.
    • trinity_enigma
    • By trinity_enigma 11th Jul 17, 4:48 PM
    • 452 Posts
    • 777 Thanks
    trinity_enigma
    • 11th Jul 17, 4:48 PM
    • 11th Jul 17, 4:48 PM
    Im not sure exactly where the area is so that could me scrubbing the whole carpet lol. Will get on my hands and knees and see if I can work out where it's coming from if not I will trying the washing powder. Thanks.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,590Posts Today

5,769Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin