Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • PaulArcas
    • By PaulArcas 11th Jul 17, 4:05 PM
    • 7Posts
    • 0Thanks
    PaulArcas
    International transfer
    • 11th Jul 17, 4:05 PM
    International transfer 11th Jul 17 at 4:05 PM
    I will soon be moving to Germany from England and have to put down a deposit for a property rental.
    My bank accounts are in £ and the Berlin account is in €. I am not entirely sure how international transfers work however the rental agent recommended:

If you pay an advance to the owner from abroad, please make sure that you have the owners IBAN and Swift code if you live in a Euro country - use an international standard form for your bank transfer and the transfer is free of charge.
    I am not entirely sure what that means, if there is some jargon in there that refers specifically to international transfers or not.
    Can anyone provide any advice?
    Thanks
Page 1
    • eskbanker
    • By eskbanker 11th Jul 17, 4:40 PM
    • 5,465 Posts
    • 5,270 Thanks
    eskbanker
    • 11th Jul 17, 4:40 PM
    • 11th Jul 17, 4:40 PM
    As you don't live in a Euro country it won't be free to send money from your UK sterling bank account to a German euro account, although you will need the IBAN/Swift code for the account you're sending to.

There are currency brokers that undercut the main banks though - check out http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/banking/foreign-currency-exchange for details of the most cost-effective ways of transferring from a £ account to a € one....
    • xylophone
    • By xylophone 11th Jul 17, 5:35 PM
    • 22,881 Posts
    • 13,243 Thanks
    xylophone
    • 11th Jul 17, 5:35 PM
    • 11th Jul 17, 5:35 PM
    https://transferwise.com/gb/blog/opening-a-bank-account-in-germany
    may be worth a look.
    • PaulArcas
    • By PaulArcas 12th Jul 17, 3:17 AM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    PaulArcas
    • 12th Jul 17, 3:17 AM
    • 12th Jul 17, 3:17 AM
    As you don't live in a Euro country it won't be free to send money from your UK sterling bank account to a German euro account, although you will need the IBAN/Swift code for the account you're sending to.

There are currency brokers that undercut the main banks though - check out for details of the most cost-effective ways of transferring from a £ account to a € one....
    Originally posted by eskbanker
    Ah, I was looking for such a guide! Thank you
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,666Posts Today

8,562Users online

Martin's Twitter