Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Cristy Jones
    • By Cristy Jones 11th Jul 17, 3:48 PM
    • 27Posts
    • 13Thanks
    Cristy Jones
    What strategies do you do with monitoring, controlling, and conserving energy?
    • 11th Jul 17, 3:48 PM
    What strategies do you do with monitoring, controlling, and conserving energy? 11th Jul 17 at 3:48 PM
    Sustainability, climate change, energy and energy efficiency, green consumption and urban sustainable development are globally recognized challenges for the 21st century. What efficiency strategies do you do with monitoring, controlling, and conserving energy?
Page 1
    • Xbigman
    • By Xbigman 11th Jul 17, 4:38 PM
    • 2,897 Posts
    • 1,159 Thanks
    Xbigman
    • 11th Jul 17, 4:38 PM
    • 11th Jul 17, 4:38 PM
    I read my meters on the first of each month and have spreadsheet records going back over a decade.

I have, over the years, looked at whats using the power and looked to cut costs. Its important to look long and hard at everything.
    IE Do I really need a freezer? What does it save me to buy a smaller, more efficient freezer and how long before it pays for itself. This lead to me keeping a record of everything I put in the freezer and organising a shopping schedule for frozen goods. Money saving isn't just about energy usage, its all interlinked.

10 years ago I used 247 units of electric per month. 5 years ago it was 216. Over the last 12 months it was 129. This has been achieved without suffering any hardship at all. Going forward I plan to get it lower, hopefully around 115, but that involves ditching the TV licence which is a step most people won't consider.

I will admit I'm anti smart meter but it could be the right choice for others if the 'In Home Display' helps them to achieve what I've done above. The smart meter debate is not as black and white as some posters on here make out.

I will also admit I'm not much of a switcher. I'm with Ebico but with the usage above there are cheaper tariff's available. Its just that they are not a lot cheaper and they all require monthly direct debits. I prefer to pay on receipt of bill, so the question is how much am I prepared to pay for the privilege? Currently its about £25 a year. And I don't need to stress about switching every time a deal ends. Bargain.

Darren
    Xbigman's guide to a happy life.

Eat properly
    Sleep properly
    Save some money
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 11th Jul 17, 4:45 PM
    • 59,201 Posts
    • 345,603 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    • 11th Jul 17, 4:45 PM
    • 11th Jul 17, 4:45 PM
    None. I'm not interested in saving the planet ...

I am a low usage consumer of all resources though, so probably consume less than many who are actively trying to cut back, save or whatever.
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 11th Jul 17, 5:21 PM
    • 9,441 Posts
    • 3,858 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    • 11th Jul 17, 5:21 PM
    • 11th Jul 17, 5:21 PM
    As above really .
    Probably also more environmentally friendly than those who claim to be but are avid consumers and high users of electrical resources .
    OP has used a lot of resources posting multiple posts in a 10 min window .
    • WobblyDog
    • By WobblyDog 11th Jul 17, 7:38 PM
    • 384 Posts
    • 242 Thanks
    WobblyDog
    • 11th Jul 17, 7:38 PM
    • 11th Jul 17, 7:38 PM
    - CurrentCost whole-house energy monitor linked to a PC, feeding electricity consumption data into a SQL Server database, with usage graphs automatically posted to a website every hour.
    - Raspberry Pi measuring temperatures at various locations in hot-water and central heating systems, and estimating gas usage. Database and graphs as above.
    - Factor-in energy savings when considering replacing any appliance.

Sometimes I think I'm getting a bit obsessive, but then energy prices go up again, and I realise I'm not.
    • Norman Castle
    • By Norman Castle 11th Jul 17, 7:52 PM
    • 5,964 Posts
    • 4,717 Thanks
    Norman Castle
    • 11th Jul 17, 7:52 PM
    • 11th Jul 17, 7:52 PM
    None. I'm not interested in saving the planet ...
    Originally posted by PasturesNew
    The planet will be fine whatever we do. I doubt it knows or cares if its habitable.
    Don't harass a hippie. You'll get bad karma.
    • House Martin
    • By House Martin 11th Jul 17, 8:41 PM
    • 217 Posts
    • 252 Thanks
    House Martin
    • 11th Jul 17, 8:41 PM
    • 11th Jul 17, 8:41 PM
    The planet will be fine whatever we do. I doubt it knows or cares if its habitable.
    Originally posted by Norman Castle
    I agree, the planet will do fine, maybe not for Homo Sapien apes who have wrecked it , but the other inhabitants will flourish as they did before and stay in balance naturally
    • victor2
    • By victor2 11th Jul 17, 8:59 PM
    • 4,664 Posts
    • 3,102 Thanks
    victor2
    • 11th Jul 17, 8:59 PM
    • 11th Jul 17, 8:59 PM
    I agree, the planet will do fine, maybe not for Homo Sapien apes who have wrecked it , but the other inhabitants will flourish as they did before and stay in balance naturally
    Originally posted by House Martin
    Tell that to the dinosaurs...
    • House Martin
    • By House Martin 11th Jul 17, 9:52 PM
    • 217 Posts
    • 252 Thanks
    House Martin
    • 11th Jul 17, 9:52 PM
    • 11th Jul 17, 9:52 PM
    Tell that to the dinosaurs...
    Originally posted by victor2
    Yes but the planet won even after the end of the dinosaurs when oxygen levels were 8 times they are now Other life forms, including us lot, started to take over..According to the Gaia Hypothosis the planet is self regulating and once we are eliminated, because we are overpopulating . the birds and the bees will stand a better chance..
    Evidence we are wrecking it,,I have nt seen a Cuckoo, Corn Bunting, Yellow wagtail and quite a few other formerly common farmland birds in the UK this year, but have seen Southern Europe species such as Little Egret, Cattle Egret and Bee Eater this year.Proof positive that climate change is taking effect and that its too late now to stop it getting much worse.
    • buglawton
    • By buglawton 11th Jul 17, 10:26 PM
    • 6,798 Posts
    • 3,004 Thanks
    buglawton
    - CurrentCost whole-house energy monitor linked to a PC, feeding electricity consumption data into a SQL Server database, with usage graphs automatically posted to a website every hour.
    - Raspberry Pi measuring temperatures at various locations in hot-water and central heating systems, and estimating gas usage. Database and graphs as above.
    - Factor-in energy savings when considering replacing any appliance.

Sometimes I think I'm getting a bit obsessive, but then energy prices go up again, and I realise I'm not.
    Originally posted by WobblyDog
    Does that mean you're leaving your PC on round the clock
    • WobblyDog
    • By WobblyDog 11th Jul 17, 11:52 PM
    • 384 Posts
    • 242 Thanks
    WobblyDog
    Does that mean you're leaving your PC on round the clock
    Originally posted by buglawton
    Yes, but it's already doing a variety of other tasks 24 hours per day, so that's an expense I can't currently avoid. When I replace it, I will be looking closely at the power consumption of its replacement.
    • SuiDreams
    • By SuiDreams 12th Jul 17, 9:54 AM
    • 2,202 Posts
    • 10,246 Thanks
    SuiDreams
    I read meters regularly and track usage using a spread sheet. I switch everything off at the wall when not in use and have energy efficient appliances and use LED light bulbs. My average daily Electric usage over the last 12 months was 3.4 KWH a day (slightly less in summer slightly more in winter). Heating and hot water are by an old gas boiler but still quite low usage.
    • The Green Hornet
    • By The Green Hornet 12th Jul 17, 11:45 AM
    • 352 Posts
    • 582 Thanks
    The Green Hornet
    What you save by monitoring, controlling, and conserving your own energy you generally spend elsewhere which uses the same, or even more, of somebody else's energy, so it is a futile exercise at an individual level.
    6 x Sharp 220 W panels. 1.32 kWp. SMA Sunny Boy 1200 inverter. South facing 30 degree pitch roof with no shading. Eco-eye SmartPV monitor + energyhive.
    • NineDeuce
    • By NineDeuce 12th Jul 17, 3:31 PM
    • 22 Posts
    • 21 Thanks
    NineDeuce
    I turn things off
    • ChaunceyGardiner
    • By ChaunceyGardiner 12th Jul 17, 5:01 PM
    • 55 Posts
    • 17 Thanks
    ChaunceyGardiner
    Cold showers.
    • buglawton
    • By buglawton 12th Jul 17, 7:06 PM
    • 6,798 Posts
    • 3,004 Thanks
    buglawton
    This morning on the news, a single holiday flight uses a lifetimes worth of recycling energy saving. Or something like that.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,026Posts Today

8,874Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin