Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • DiyWife
    • By DiyWife 11th Jul 17, 3:03 PM
    • 4Posts
    • 0Thanks
    DiyWife
    What can I/should I do about this door frame?
    • 11th Jul 17, 3:03 PM
    What can I/should I do about this door frame? 11th Jul 17 at 3:03 PM
    Hi. I'm new to the forum. I've been diy-ing my house for a while, and this is the first time I've not been able to work out if I need a professional or not. Is it against the rules to ask you guys?
Page 1
    • wealdroam
    • By wealdroam 11th Jul 17, 3:15 PM
    • 18,640 Posts
    • 15,521 Thanks
    wealdroam
    • 11th Jul 17, 3:15 PM
    • 11th Jul 17, 3:15 PM
    Hi. I'm new to the forum. I've been diy-ing my house for a while, and this is the first time I've not been able to work out if I need a professional or not. Is it against the rules to ask you guys?
    Originally posted by DiyWife
    No, it certainly is not against the rules. Ask away.
    • DiyWife
    • By DiyWife 11th Jul 17, 4:00 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    DiyWife
    • 11th Jul 17, 4:00 PM
    • 11th Jul 17, 4:00 PM
    Awesome and thank you! I've taken down the tiles from the utility, and taken away the rotten skirting. I can't link to the photo, but there's a gap between the for frame and the wall and the wood looks a little raggedy on the wall edge.

Can it be saved or is this a job for a carpenter, please? The wood feels solid enough.
    • Le_Kirk
    • By Le_Kirk 11th Jul 17, 5:44 PM
    • 1,896 Posts
    • 956 Thanks
    Le_Kirk
    • 11th Jul 17, 5:44 PM
    • 11th Jul 17, 5:44 PM
    there's a gap between the for frame and the wall and the wood looks a little raggedy on the wall edge.
    Originally posted by DiyWife
    Not sure what you meant to type here. Could you be referring to the joists or floor boards?
    • TheCyclingProgrammer
    • By TheCyclingProgrammer 11th Jul 17, 6:42 PM
    • 2,584 Posts
    • 1,417 Thanks
    TheCyclingProgrammer
    • 11th Jul 17, 6:42 PM
    • 11th Jul 17, 6:42 PM
    Can you post a photo?
    • DiyWife
    • By DiyWife 11th Jul 17, 6:51 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    DiyWife
    • 11th Jul 17, 6:51 PM
    • 11th Jul 17, 6:51 PM
    Ooh, sorry, gap between door frame and wall. I can't post links because I'm a newbie.
    • Rosemary7391
    • By Rosemary7391 11th Jul 17, 7:16 PM
    • 1,751 Posts
    • 3,043 Thanks
    Rosemary7391
    • 11th Jul 17, 7:16 PM
    • 11th Jul 17, 7:16 PM
    If you stick some spaces in the link it'll post and someone will fix it
    Me escondo detras de mi lengua... tengo miedo de que me entiendas... pero me gustara que me entendases ¡Ayudame!
    • FreeBear
    • By FreeBear 11th Jul 17, 7:36 PM
    • 1,139 Posts
    • 1,662 Thanks
    FreeBear
    • 11th Jul 17, 7:36 PM
    • 11th Jul 17, 7:36 PM
    Do you mean a gap like this

Quite normal, and the gap can be filled with expanding foam. BUT there is a danger that the foam will cause the frame to move and then the door won't close.
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
    • DiyWife
    • By DiyWife 11th Jul 17, 8:47 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    DiyWife
    • 11th Jul 17, 8:47 PM
    • 11th Jul 17, 8:47 PM
    https: //drive.google.com/file/d/0 B5pAqntAfjWYM0J6ajN5Snd1OGc/view?usp=drives dk
    Like that?
    • silvercar
    • By silvercar 11th Jul 17, 9:00 PM
    • 35,494 Posts
    • 149,733 Thanks
    silvercar
    Yes!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5pAqntAfjWYM0J6ajN5Snd1OGc/view
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debate House Prices & the Economy, House Buying, Renting & Selling, Mortgages and Endowments, In My Home incl DIY, Overseas Holidays & Student boards.
    I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,004Posts Today

9,500Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin