Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Gingercake
    • By Gingercake 11th Jul 17, 3:02 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Gingercake
    Packaged Bank Account - possible to reclaim?
    • 11th Jul 17, 3:02 PM
    Packaged Bank Account - possible to reclaim? 11th Jul 17 at 3:02 PM
    Hi all,

I'm looking for some advice on behalf of my mother, and would be grateful if anyone can offer any advice.

My parents were sold a packaged bank account sometime before 1999. They requested an overdraft and were told they could only get one with this paid for packaged account. We've just seen through the MSE guide that this could come under being mis-sold and my mum is looking to see if she has a chance at trying to reclaim the fees.

Here's where it gets complicated! My father passed away in 2009 and as the account was a joint account it was subsequently changed into my mother's sole name. At this time the bank advised her that she didn't need the package deal and so she cancelled it.

We have located full statements for the period 1999-2009 which show the fees but unfortunately cannot find earlier paperwork or the date they signed up for the package. Can we request these statements from the bank? Or would it be possible to just make a complaint from 1999 onwards? Obviously the account was held for a long time so it's quite difficult to locate all the paperwork needed.

I'd really appreciate any help or advice on whether this might be worth pursuing because the guide was very useful but we're still a bit confused
Page 1
    • -taff
    • By -taff 11th Jul 17, 5:58 PM
    • 7,189 Posts
    • 5,175 Thanks
    -taff
    • 11th Jul 17, 5:58 PM
    • 11th Jul 17, 5:58 PM
    Just make your complaint. They may time bar it becauseshe knew about it in 2009, they may not
    • Gingercake
    • By Gingercake 11th Jul 17, 7:03 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Gingercake
    • 11th Jul 17, 7:03 PM
    • 11th Jul 17, 7:03 PM
    Thanks Taff, much appreciated. Just looked into the time bar side of things and can see that may well be our downfall. Unfortunately she didn't realise she could complain and try to ask for her fees back until we read the MSE guides over the last few days. Disappointing if she's missed the boat but as you say, might be worth a try anyway. Thanks again
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,370Posts Today

8,036Users online

Martin's Twitter