Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • NogaBer
    • By NogaBer 11th Jul 17, 2:47 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    NogaBer
    Can my stored debit card details be used without my authorisation?
    • 11th Jul 17, 2:47 PM
    Can my stored debit card details be used without my authorisation? 11th Jul 17 at 2:47 PM
    Nordic Walking UK took their annual subscription fee without my authorisation. They did send an email 4 weeks beforehand titled "Nordic Walking UK / Membership due for renewal in 4 weeks". I did not read that email as did not want to renew (I read it today - In the email itself, at the very last paragraph they mention that this will be renewed automatically unless you cancel). Then they used my debit card's details stored with them and charged it.
    When I called them they told me that if my card was already charged they cannot refund me. when I protested they said that it is MY responsibility, and they can'y help me if I do not read my emails...
    Later on (actually, as I was talking to my bank about this), to my surprise, I got n email from them saying that they refunded my money to me.
    Yet, it was unnecessary stress and waste of time, not to mention the way I was spoken to. So I still want to try make them abandon their nasty policy...
    My question: Is using the details of my debit card (without my authorisation) which I supplied them a year ago legal? Is automatic renewal (without properly consulting with the client) legal? If any of this is illegal, where do I complain?
Page 1
    • marliepanda
    • By marliepanda 11th Jul 17, 2:55 PM
    • 4,643 Posts
    • 9,301 Thanks
    marliepanda
    • 11th Jul 17, 2:55 PM
    • 11th Jul 17, 2:55 PM
    Are you are you didn't sign up to it being renewed.

I'm willing to take a bet that you did...
    Survey Earnings 2017 - £163
    • wealdroam
    • By wealdroam 11th Jul 17, 3:01 PM
    • 18,648 Posts
    • 15,549 Thanks
    wealdroam
    • 11th Jul 17, 3:01 PM
    • 11th Jul 17, 3:01 PM
    Nordic Walking UK took their annual subscription fee without my authorisation. They did send an email 4 weeks beforehand titled "Nordic Walking UK / Membership due for renewal in 4 weeks". I did not read that email as did not want to renew (I read it today - In the email itself, at the very last paragraph they mention that this will be renewed automatically unless you cancel). Then they used my debit card's details stored with them and charged it.
    When I called them they told me that if my card was already charged they cannot refund me. when I protested they said that it is MY responsibility, and they can'y help me if I do not read my emails...
    Later on (actually, as I was talking to my bank about this), to my surprise, I got n email from them saying that they refunded my money to me.
    Yet, it was unnecessary stress and waste of time, not to mention the way I was spoken to. So I still want to try make them abandon their nasty policy...
    My question: Is using the details of my debit card (without my authorisation) which I supplied them a year ago legal? Is automatic renewal (without properly consulting with the client) legal? If any of this is illegal, where do I complain?
    Originally posted by NogaBer
    Of course it's legal.

When you first set up your account with Nordic Walking UK you set up a 'continuous payment authority' on that debit card.

In other words, you agreed that your subscription would renew automatically every year using that debit card.

You chose not to read your email.

Nothing illegal took place here.
    • NogaBer
    • By NogaBer 11th Jul 17, 6:56 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    NogaBer
    • 11th Jul 17, 6:56 PM
    • 11th Jul 17, 6:56 PM
    As far as I remember I did not agree to store my debit card details nor agree to set up continuous payments I never do . Of course it may have been in the 'agreement' in small letters, but it should be explicit. I do not see emails as a valid way - how many times they go to spam?? If they really want to get a proper consent, they should sent a letter. In any case, it is a good way to loose customers.
    • angryparcel
    • By angryparcel 11th Jul 17, 10:00 PM
    • 910 Posts
    • 518 Thanks
    angryparcel
    • 11th Jul 17, 10:00 PM
    • 11th Jul 17, 10:00 PM
    As far as I remember I did not agree to store my debit card details nor agree to set up continuous payments I never do .
    what so you think a subscription is ( it is a form of continuous payments) until you cancel, you signed up to a subscription, so gave authorisation for them to charge you when it was due for renewal to the payment source you provided.

I do not see emails as a valid way
    Maybe not, but it is a valid way to contact customers.
    Last edited by angryparcel; 11-07-2017 at 10:03 PM.
    • wealdroam
    • By wealdroam 11th Jul 17, 10:17 PM
    • 18,648 Posts
    • 15,549 Thanks
    wealdroam
    • 11th Jul 17, 10:17 PM
    • 11th Jul 17, 10:17 PM
    As far as I remember I did not agree to store my debit card details nor agree to set up continuous payments I never do . Of course it may have been in the 'agreement' in small letters, but it should be explicit. I do not see emails as a valid way - how many times they go to spam?? If they really want to get a proper consent, they should sent a letter. In any case, it is a good way to loose customers.
    I have just done a dummy run at joining nordicwalking.co.uk, is that the company you are talking about, and did not see any link to anything that might've told me I was agreeing to a continuous payment authority, or that my subscription would auto renew, before being asked to enter my card details.

I cannot find any relevant terms and conditions on their website.
    Last edited by wealdroam; 11-07-2017 at 11:01 PM.
    • naedanger
    • By naedanger 11th Jul 17, 11:47 PM
    • 2,184 Posts
    • 1,768 Thanks
    naedanger
    • 11th Jul 17, 11:47 PM
    • 11th Jul 17, 11:47 PM
    ... where do I complain?
    If a company or person had taken money from my bank account that I had not authorised then I would contact my bank and demand they refund the money.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

336Posts Today

3,310Users online

Martin's Twitter