Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • grrfy
    • By grrfy 11th Jul 17, 2:19 PM
    • 16Posts
    • 3Thanks
    grrfy
    not happy with sse/equipower changes
    • 11th Jul 17, 2:19 PM
    not happy with sse/equipower changes 11th Jul 17 at 2:19 PM
    Hi I am with sse/ ebico/equipower on a payg meter ,am unemployed due to illness.
    A huge part of me choosing this tariff was the no standing charge, this made it way ,way easier for me to track the amount of gas and electricity i was using and had available on the meter.Especially if I was not home or using any power/gas
    Now this tariff is ending and it seems the only tariff without a standing charge is available for none PAYG customers caLLED equiZero.

I use very little gas during the summer months and don't use much electricity,aproc 7 to 10 pounds per week for electricity and almost £zero for gas over summer, as I only use the gas heating in the winter . the standing charges will be more than the amount of gas and energy I use per day over a lot of the days esp in summer .

I really don't know what to do as my landlord and indeed my credit history will preclude me from switching to a credit meter and I want a none standing charge tariff.
    Can anybody help me as I am (tbh) really scared this will affect my health and ability to keep up with bills.

Many thanks .
Page 3
    • EP70
    • By EP70 13th Jul 17, 6:44 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    EP70
    I wonder if that happened because Eversmart have a couple of different Prepay tariffs, one/some of which has/have a standing charge. For a low user the one that's called "Goodbye Standing Charge" looks the best option. (Did not come up on their own website though! Try Energylinx or phone them.)

Regarding Utilita, it's good we've come to the exact same conclusion; confirms we're more likely to be on the right track in our research. Well, either that, or both wrong! :-)

EDF might be an option, but seems a bit of a hassle, plus a period of standing charges to get through (though the cashback thing might compensate a bit for that, depending on how that works). I must find out a bit more about their terms and conditions.

It is absolutely scandalous how people who are ill are being treated. And the bedroom tax is another outrage. I hear what you say; sometimes it all seems far too much, and we find ourselves wondering what the point is of all this struggling, and then this comes along on top of it all. Hopefully Ebico will see sense, and do something to help us out. If not, let's see what combined forces can come up with, and find the best alternative. Don't give up!!!!!

X
    Last edited by EP70; 13-07-2017 at 8:07 PM.
    • EP70
    • By EP70 14th Jul 17, 12:14 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    EP70
    It may be worth asking SSE if they would be willing to change your meters to credit ones, if you wanted to go down that road. There are some criteria to be met, and they may ask for a payment in advance, a bit like a deposit. If you're eligible, choose the standard tariff so you're not tied in with them for a certain period of time, and then change to a supplier that doesn't impose standing charges (all SSE tariffs have standing charges), depending on what is best for your usage.
    • whattochoose
    • By whattochoose 15th Jul 17, 7:14 AM
    • 276 Posts
    • 72 Thanks
    whattochoose
    I will be leaving SSE soon, now that they have reneged on their promise to honour their commitment to allow me to remain on a "no standing charge" tariff.
    Just one question though please. When switching to Ebico or RHE or Ebico/RHE -who is it now best to initially approach?
    Thanks.
    • Starbrite
    • By Starbrite 15th Jul 17, 4:51 PM
    • 616 Posts
    • 1,335 Thanks
    Starbrite
    Wow, Just got back off holiday to this fantastic news.... sense the sarcasm

I have pre pay elec and gas is via a bill/Diret Debit - was like that when moved into the flat and saw no point in changing it, my get SSE to change the elec meter to bill

Just called ebico the elec will occur a standing charge of 25p per day, I only use 0.49p elec a day! I guess hassle free cheap elec for 4 years had to come to an end...

Anyone suggest a good supplier to move to?

My sats are

Elec
    Standing charge 0.00
    unit rate 14.55

After 24th Aug - £99.97 increase!!
    Standing charge 28.76p
    unit rate 14.54p

Gas
    Standing charge 0.00
    unit rate 5.20p

After 24th Aug - £24.62 decrease - not sure how they worked this out!
    Standing charge 14.80p
    unit rate 4.18
    Saving 2,000 in 2013!
    • trickytree1963
    • By trickytree1963 15th Jul 17, 5:20 PM
    • 63 Posts
    • 33 Thanks
    trickytree1963
    Ask SSE if they will change your Elec meter to a credit meter, if they do without cost or tie ins switch to Ebico/RHE on Ebico Zero after its installed.

If they won't the RHE/Ebico Prepay will be 25p a day SC and roughly 13.5p per kWh for elec for 6 months then they will put a credit meter in for free and the tariff will be roughly 17p per kWh Nil SC and Gas on Direct Debit 4.7 p per kWh and Nil SC. (Exact figure depend on your Post Code)
    • Starbrite
    • By Starbrite 15th Jul 17, 5:44 PM
    • 616 Posts
    • 1,335 Thanks
    Starbrite
    Ask SSE if they will change your Elec meter to a credit meter, if they do without cost or tie ins switch to Ebico/RHE on Ebico Zero after its installed.

If they won't the RHE/Ebico Prepay will be 25p a day SC and roughly 13.5p per kWh for elec for 6 months then they will put a credit meter in for free and the tariff will be roughly 17p per kWh Nil SC and Gas on Direct Debit 4.7 p per kWh and Nil SC. (Exact figure depend on your Post Code)
    Originally posted by trickytree1963
    Thank you, will look into getting the pre payment elec switched to a bill
    Saving 2,000 in 2013!
    • footyguy
    • By footyguy 15th Jul 17, 9:37 PM
    • 3,394 Posts
    • 1,333 Thanks
    footyguy
    Before you do anything, read this

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/utilities/switch-prepaid-gas-electricity
    • bendipa
    • By bendipa 17th Jul 17, 11:22 PM
    • 156 Posts
    • 58 Thanks
    bendipa
    Rather than take my word for it, please have a read of the threads which were running at the time where you will get confirmation of what I said. After Ebico wrote to customers saying we'll switch you unless you opt out, SSE wrote to customers saying that Ebico weren't allowed to do that. The letter also said SSE would continue the zero tariff and invited customers not to change to the new Ebico/RHE tariff.

Perhaps you didn't get this particular letter from SSE? In which case consider yourself very unlucky as most people were somewhat bombarded with letters and emails from SSE and Ebico.

As above, subsequent correspondence from both Ebico and SSE made it clear that the transfer to Ebico/RHE had to be an opt-in, not opt-out. If you didn't get any of the letters or emails explaining this then you are unfortunate. In fairness perhaps I should expand the choices we had to include "or assumed the switch would go according to plan and decided not to check it had actually happened".

That all sounds rather strange. SSE made it clear that customers had to opt-in to switching to Ebico/RHE, in turn Ebico confirmed the situation, they would switch customers who opted into the transfer. Therefore it doesn't make sense that Ebico would contact you as recently as a month ago as by then they would have assumed you were content to stay with SSE. If Ebico are saying it wasn't them who contacted you last month then you have to wonder who it was... did you get any written confirmation of the switch, a 'Welcome' pack for example?
    Originally posted by EachPenny
    Here is the final part of the email sent to me from Ebico last Feb regarding the move to RHE and transfer to 'Ebico Zero'. SSE were silent on all of this until a week ago when they notified me by letter confirming the transfer never took place. Note the wording 'you do not need to do anything'. Also note that I would have to contact Ebico and complete some sort of form if I wanted to stay with SSL, ie, opt out of Ebico/RHE.

HTH.

"What do you need to do?
    You do not need to do anything to transfer to Ebico Zero and receive this price reduction. Your transfer will be initiated in two weeks from the date of this letter. However, if you do not wish your supply to be moved to Robin Hood Energy, simply visit choice.ebico.org.uk, complete the identification questions using the 741049111 code and your supply arrangements will continue to be supplied by SSE, until further notice. Alternatively, you can call us on 0800 093 7548."
    Last edited by bendipa; 17-07-2017 at 11:27 PM.
    • EachPenny
    • By EachPenny 18th Jul 17, 10:05 AM
    • 1,405 Posts
    • 1,455 Thanks
    EachPenny
    Here is the final part of the email sent to me from Ebico last Feb regarding the move to RHE and transfer to 'Ebico Zero'. SSE were silent on all of this until a week ago when they notified me by letter confirming the transfer never took place. Note the wording 'you do not need to do anything'. Also note that I would have to contact Ebico and complete some sort of form if I wanted to stay with SSL, ie, opt out of Ebico/RHE.
    Originally posted by bendipa
    Yes, that was the first letter sent by Ebico. SSE also sent a letter contradicting Ebico saying that it was not legally possible for Ebico to switch you away from SSE without your express consent. There were also multiple emails, additional letters, phone calls etc reported on this board by MSE users, along with extensive discussion about it here. The greatest complaint was the quantity of conflicting messages being sent by Ebico and SSE. If you really did only receive the first letter from Ebico then you chould count yourself very lucky, or unlucky, as the case may be. What I meant by 'strange' is that you appear to have been missed out of several different communications from different sources by different means of communication.

As with anything to do with any commercial arrangement, the savvy consumer always checks to make sure what was agreed or proposed is actually what has happened. Assuming you were being switched to Ebico/RHE and that it would all happen without any hitch or further need for involvement on your part was a rather risky strategy.

I believe the reference number you've quoted from the Ebico letter is unique to you - you might want to redact that part of the quote to avoid giving away personal information.
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
    • Biscuit Tin
    • By Biscuit Tin 18th Jul 17, 10:16 AM
    • 143 Posts
    • 38 Thanks
    Biscuit Tin

HTH.

"What do you need to do?
    You do not need to do anything to transfer to Ebico Zero and receive this price reduction. Your transfer will be initiated in two weeks from the date of this letter. However, if you do not wish your supply to be moved to Robin Hood Energy, simply visit choice.ebico.org.uk, complete the identification questions using the 741049111 code and your supply arrangements will continue to be supplied by SSE, until further notice. Alternatively, you can call us on 0800 093 7548."
    Originally posted by bendipa
    19 March 2017, the MD of Ebico wrote:

I know that Ebico’s former supply partner, SSE, has recently written to EquiGas & EquiPower customers about their ‘SSE Zero Electric’ and ‘SSE Zero Gas’ tariffs. I wanted to clear up any confusion this might have caused as soon as possible. ...

The letter informs the reader that Ebico can’t transfer EquiGas/EquiPower customers to the Ebico Zero tariff unless the customer actively asks for it, which I accept....

So, to be clear, customers who have not yet let us know that they would like to switch to Ebico Zero, and do not tell us soon that they would like to do so, will remain supplied by SSE at the more expensive energy rates of the EquiGas/EquiPower tariff (to be renamed ‘SSE Zero’) and will be subject to SSE’s increase in the electricity price on the 28th of April. ...
    You can read the full letter here:
    https://ebico.org.uk/ebico-news/another-letter-from-sse-to-ebico-customers-a-personal-response-by-phil-levermore-md-ebico-ltd/
    • House Martin
    • By House Martin 18th Jul 17, 10:32 AM
    • 243 Posts
    • 280 Thanks
    House Martin
    hmm according to a quote eversmart will charge a daily standing charge of
    0.23835 per day for electricity @ 0.12915 per kWh
    0.252 per day for gas @ 0.03791 per kWh
    but I hardly use any gas during the spring summer! So will be having to top up a meter for nothing!
    Originally posted by grrfy
    Hardly anyone uses much gas in summer, maybe a little gas for cooking.You really need to get on the comp sites .Try a search with both PAYG and credit meters for your annual usage for separate gas and electric.. You will probably find that a low SC supplier on a one year direct debit fix will easily be the cheapest option as it was for me as a low user..Daligas came out the cheapest with a low SC and crucially a low tariff too ..You need to get that meter changed pronto before you start using gas in the autumn and winter.. I have an empty property where I use Ebico/RHE ..zero gas usage and low electric use tho.
    • breakingdexter
    • By breakingdexter 18th Jul 17, 1:13 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    breakingdexter
    I phoned SSE to enquire about getting a credit meter installed and they will install a credit meter on a standard charge and I will be able to leave it at anytime without incurring a charge. Make sure you get the standard meter as the other meter ties you into a contract with a 25 pounds exit charge. Not sure if this is per meter. Be prepared for a phone call that lasts one hour.

• kathd
    • By kathd 19th Jul 17, 1:09 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    kathd
    sse disgusting about-turn
    SSE have treated their customers with utter contempt. Only a couple of months ago they wrote promising to keep their ZERO tariff. Now a letter saying it's going and they're automatically moving us to Standard Tariff. Not even a SORRY that what we told you before was wrong, or SORRY that it will cost an extra £150 a year. Nor any help to find an alternative zero tariff. I've phoned Ebico, and they still do zero tariff together with Robin Hood, so I'll go with them. But I really think something needs to be done about SSE, so all their customers know how badly they have behaved and how little they think we're worth.. Perhaps we can all complain formally through Martin in some way?
    • 14Westfield
    • By 14Westfield 19th Jul 17, 1:29 PM
    • 56 Posts
    • 25 Thanks
    14Westfield
    I have recently phoned SSE to complain about the end of SSE Zero and the way this has all been handled.
    I had previously chosen to remain with SSE on a Zero standing charge tariff as i am a low Gas user and £90 worse off in the new system.

The said the reason that they have back tracked and removed no standing charge was that Ofgem had forced them to offer to all customers if it was offered to former Ebico customers- and they didn't want to do that.

So i called Ebico straight after and started the process of moving 'back' to them.
    • grrfy
    • By grrfy 26th Jul 17, 9:29 PM
    • 16 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    grrfy
    just had a reply from Eversmart They DO offer no standing charge tariffs for PAYG customers .Prices in one of my previous posts in this thread.
    edit to add

eversmart have quoted

14.70 elec , no standing charge
    4.32 gas no standing charge
    Last edited by grrfy; Yesterday at 9:31 PM. Reason: added tariff prices
    • SummerFun
    • By SummerFun 27th Jul 17, 8:34 AM
    • 51 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    SummerFun
    just had a reply from Eversmart They DO offer no standing charge tariffs for PAYG customers .Prices in one of my previous posts in this thread.
    edit to add

eversmart have quoted

How much???

Someone should report them to Ofgem.

Pretty sure the maximum price for gas must not exceed 4p/kWh ( less as it varies by region) according to the price cap imposed on PPM tariffs.
    • SummerFun
    • By SummerFun 27th Jul 17, 8:41 AM
    • 51 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    SummerFun
    edit to add

eversmart have quoted

What's the tariff name they have quoted you?

Only tariff they appear to have offered me is called 'Prepay Direct' which seems to have a standing charge applied.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,956Posts Today

9,061Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin