Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • bobblebob
    • By bobblebob 11th Jul 17, 2:17 PM
    • 489Posts
    • 78Thanks
    bobblebob
    Paid break at work
    • 11th Jul 17, 2:17 PM
    Paid break at work 11th Jul 17 at 2:17 PM
    During a 15 minute paid break at work, do you have to stay on works premises or can you go "offsite" to take this break? A lot of our staff go shopping or grab something to eat from the cafe during their break (they don't go over the 15 mins). Management are now saying they have to stay onsite during a break, and if they want to leave the building during a break, they do so in their own time.

Can they do this? Surely a break is that, a break and can be taken anywhere? Ive tried to look online for employment law but it mostly just mentions lunch break which is different as that's unpaid
Page 1
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 11th Jul 17, 2:30 PM
    • 30,131 Posts
    • 19,070 Thanks
    DCFC79
    • 11th Jul 17, 2:30 PM
    • 11th Jul 17, 2:30 PM
    During a 15 minute paid break at work, do you have to stay on works premises or can you go "offsite" to take this break? A lot of our staff go shopping or grab something to eat from the cafe during their break (they don't go over the 15 mins). Management are now saying they have to stay onsite during a break, and if they want to leave the building during a break, they do so in their own time.

Can they do this? Surely a break is that, a break and can be taken anywhere? Ive tried to look online for employment law but it mostly just mentions lunch break which is different as that's unpaid
    Originally posted by bobblebob
    Not sure anyone on here can answer if you can go off site during the break.

What does your employee handbook say about it ?

Maybe it depends on the employer, I know with mine if its a paid break you cant leave the building, if an unpaid break you can go off site.
    Last edited by DCFC79; 11-07-2017 at 2:35 PM.
    Can people stop loaning money/being a guarator to family/friends, it rarely ends well and you lose out as your money is gone or you get shafted with being a guarantor.
    • bobblebob
    • By bobblebob 11th Jul 17, 2:37 PM
    • 489 Posts
    • 78 Thanks
    bobblebob
    • 11th Jul 17, 2:37 PM
    • 11th Jul 17, 2:37 PM
    I believe the handbook says to stay onsite, although personally ive never understood why (other than maybe for fire regulations)
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 11th Jul 17, 2:52 PM
    • 30,131 Posts
    • 19,070 Thanks
    DCFC79
    • 11th Jul 17, 2:52 PM
    • 11th Jul 17, 2:52 PM
    I believe the handbook says to stay onsite, although personally ive never understood why (other than maybe for fire regulations)
    That could well be the reason.

Have you asked why ?
    Can people stop loaning money/being a guarator to family/friends, it rarely ends well and you lose out as your money is gone or you get shafted with being a guarantor.
    • bobblebob
    • By bobblebob 11th Jul 17, 3:04 PM
    • 489 Posts
    • 78 Thanks
    bobblebob
    • 11th Jul 17, 3:04 PM
    • 11th Jul 17, 3:04 PM
    Not yet, will be doing tho
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 11th Jul 17, 4:14 PM
    • 30,008 Posts
    • 17,934 Thanks
    getmore4less
    • 11th Jul 17, 4:14 PM
    • 11th Jul 17, 4:14 PM
    The answer will be it depends

As long as the statutory break is available for the employee to take a proper break then for the other breaks they can make up any rules they like if they pay them.

The statutory break is 20 mins if working over 6 hours.
    • xXMessedUpXx
    • By xXMessedUpXx 11th Jul 17, 5:09 PM
    • 17,005 Posts
    • 44,702 Thanks
    xXMessedUpXx
    • 11th Jul 17, 5:09 PM
    • 11th Jul 17, 5:09 PM
    I'm allowed to go offsite, i smoke so can't obviously do that on site.
    "Life Is Like A Beautiful Melody Only The Lyrics Are Messed Up"
    To see the rainbow you need both the sun and the rain to make its colours appear
    weight lost: 1lbs
    • TadleyBaggie
    • By TadleyBaggie 11th Jul 17, 5:21 PM
    • 2,391 Posts
    • 1,723 Thanks
    TadleyBaggie
    • 11th Jul 17, 5:21 PM
    • 11th Jul 17, 5:21 PM
    I'm allowed to go offsite, i smoke so can't obviously do that on site.
    Originally posted by xXMessedUpXx
    I would assume that designated smoking area would still be considered on site.
    • bobblebob
    • By bobblebob 11th Jul 17, 6:11 PM
    • 489 Posts
    • 78 Thanks
    bobblebob
    • 11th Jul 17, 6:11 PM
    • 11th Jul 17, 6:11 PM
    The answer will be it depends

As long as the statutory break is available for the employee to take a proper break then for the other breaks they can make up any rules they like if they pay them.

The statutory break is 20 mins if working over 6 hours.
    Originally posted by getmore4less
    Thanks. Yea i get a 30 min lunch break and 2 paid 15 min breaks
    • sangie595
    • By sangie595 11th Jul 17, 7:46 PM
    • 3,846 Posts
    • 6,272 Thanks
    sangie595
    Thanks. Yea i get a 30 min lunch break and 2 paid 15 min breaks
    All statutory breaks are also unpaid. If they pay you they can tell you pretty much any rule they want, and all you are entitled to is that 20 minutes unpaid break.
    • Owain Moneysaver
    • By Owain Moneysaver 11th Jul 17, 9:19 PM
    • 7,519 Posts
    • 7,944 Thanks
    Owain Moneysaver
    Even if it's an unpaid break they can still require you to remain on site. An example might be if there are safety, security or hygiene procedures you have to go through at the start and end of each shift, so they can require you to remain in the designated area during the break, as long as they provide a suitable location for you to take your break (and that doesn't have to include a smoking area).
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
    • jessex1990
    • By jessex1990 11th Jul 17, 9:25 PM
    • 134 Posts
    • 75 Thanks
    jessex1990
    Maybe they don't want a queue of people clocking in and out on these 15 minute breaks?
    • takman
    • By takman 12th Jul 17, 9:52 AM
    • 2,720 Posts
    • 2,273 Thanks
    takman
    I would assume that designated smoking area would still be considered on site.
    Originally posted by TadleyBaggie
    They may not have a designated smoking area; where i work all smoking areas were removed quite a few years ago and smoking on site is banned completely.

Which has actually significantly reduced the amount of people who smoke during the working day. A few people also quite completely due to the changes.
    • aife
    • By aife 13th Jul 17, 10:05 AM
    • 107 Posts
    • 69 Thanks
    aife
    I think if they're paying you they have the right to do this , though it sounds a bit petty . You don't say what the job is , there are areas where a certain number of people need to be present for safety or legal reasons
    To be honest your lucky to get paid breaks . Where I work we're supposed to have an hours unpaid break but it's often too busy and if you try and claim the time some managers will say 'you can't claim that , you have to have a break ...' , even though they know you couldn't , and they're often the same people who've given you urgent tasks
    I'm afraid it's very much a bosses world these days
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

368Posts Today

3,098Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin