Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • jase888
    • By jase888 11th Jul 17, 2:10 PM
    • 36Posts
    • 2Thanks
    jase888
    Remove Cat5e Hardware?
    • 11th Jul 17, 2:10 PM
    Remove Cat5e Hardware? 11th Jul 17 at 2:10 PM
    I have sold my house and due to exchange/complete end of this week. Now I have a question on what people think I should do as Ive not sold a house before and unsure....

I put Cat5e cables and wall sockets all around the house so you can plug in Smart TVs, Playstation, etc directly to the network (rather than WiFi). So Im leaving the cables and sockets as its all in the floorbaords but I spent hundreds on the switch, router, patch panel and mini server cupboard.

Would it be normal to take this with me? It was never a selling point and the people who bought it never knew it was implemented, i dont think they are techy people so wouldnt really use it. If I took it however this would leave the ethernet ports on the walls useless unless they set it back up and got the equipment.

Just wondered on peoples thoughts? I plan to do same at new house so dont want to have to purchase it all again.
Page 1
    • glentoran99
    • By glentoran99 11th Jul 17, 2:11 PM
    • 4,569 Posts
    • 3,403 Thanks
    glentoran99
    • 11th Jul 17, 2:11 PM
    • 11th Jul 17, 2:11 PM
    Yes, It wouldn't be included, and wouldn't be included on your fixtures and fittings sheet
    • jase888
    • By jase888 11th Jul 17, 2:27 PM
    • 36 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    jase888
    • 11th Jul 17, 2:27 PM
    • 11th Jul 17, 2:27 PM
    Thanks i didnt include any of it on the fixtures and fittings just feel a bit bad about leaving all these Ethernet ports all round house but they dont work. Or is this normal? Do people do stuff like this and up to buyers to sort?
    • glentoran99
    • By glentoran99 11th Jul 17, 2:33 PM
    • 4,569 Posts
    • 3,403 Thanks
    glentoran99
    • 11th Jul 17, 2:33 PM
    • 11th Jul 17, 2:33 PM
    Thanks i didnt include any of it on the fixtures and fittings just feel a bit bad about leaving all these Ethernet ports all round house but they dont work. Or is this normal? Do people do stuff like this and up to buyers to sort?
    Originally posted by jase888

In my house there would have been an aerial cable coming into the bedroom with nothing at the other end, I used it from bring the virgin media signal up from the living room.

Would do no harm just to be nice to leave them a note explaining
    • Ithaca
    • By Ithaca 11th Jul 17, 2:40 PM
    • 212 Posts
    • 228 Thanks
    Ithaca
    • 11th Jul 17, 2:40 PM
    • 11th Jul 17, 2:40 PM
    I wouldn't worry about it. Most people don't need hard-wired ethernet connectivity these days, and the sort of people who do would probably have mentioned it specifically as part of buying the house.

We have a few old phone sockets in our house which we do not need as we're either on mobile or a portable phone, but they are unobtrusive and are easy enough to remove if we choose. I expect your buyers will view the ethernet sockets in much the same way.

And if you're leaving the cables that's a bonus for your buyers as it means they can install their own kit at a later date if they want to.
    • AnotherJoe
    • By AnotherJoe 11th Jul 17, 3:33 PM
    • 7,220 Posts
    • 7,721 Thanks
    AnotherJoe
    • 11th Jul 17, 3:33 PM
    • 11th Jul 17, 3:33 PM
    I think they would prefer sockets that dont do anything to holes so obviously you leave those as is.

There cannot possibly be an expectation you would provide a full set of servers, routers etc and if there was, that would be itemised on the F&F form otherwise you might swap the Cisco XYZ router worth £10k for a Hokey Cokey Model 1 at a tenner.
    • DumbMuscle
    • By DumbMuscle 11th Jul 17, 3:46 PM
    • 196 Posts
    • 290 Thanks
    DumbMuscle
    • 11th Jul 17, 3:46 PM
    • 11th Jul 17, 3:46 PM
    I would err on the side of leaving in the minimum required for the system to function (which is probably just a couple cheap switches - assuming they will use their own router), so that the sockets are basically functional rather than non-functional, but then I'm the kind of nerd who would really appreciate having inbuilt cat5e cabling!
    • bounderboy
    • By bounderboy 11th Jul 17, 4:16 PM
    • 16 Posts
    • 147 Thanks
    bounderboy
    • 11th Jul 17, 4:16 PM
    • 11th Jul 17, 4:16 PM
    I had cat cabling in my house when I left - I left this in however took router and switches with me as I assumed they wouldn't use or they would plug into there broadband provider switch.

However with TV aerials I left the booster/distribution amp as felt guilty if they didn't have working TV etc..
    • stator
    • By stator 11th Jul 17, 4:23 PM
    • 5,800 Posts
    • 3,786 Thanks
    stator
    • 11th Jul 17, 4:23 PM
    • 11th Jul 17, 4:23 PM
    Personally I would leave one of my old 10/100 network switches, since they are cheap and otherwise pointless.
    If you can't do that I would leave them a note telling them what they need to do to get everything working.
    Changing the world, one sarcastic comment at a time.
    • G_M
    • By G_M 11th Jul 17, 6:00 PM
    • 41,044 Posts
    • 47,147 Thanks
    G_M
    The buyers must surely have seen the cabling and/or sockets and/or servers. Have they not asked about whether you plan to leave or remove?

Did their survey and/or electrical inspection no show this up?

I'm surprised there has been no discussion and agreement.
    • Rodders53
    • By Rodders53 11th Jul 17, 6:23 PM
    • 403 Posts
    • 281 Thanks
    Rodders53
    Electronic kit is movable and goes.

Patch panel is attached to fixed wiring and stays.

At least that is what I did when I moved home.
    • Gorecki
    • By Gorecki 11th Jul 17, 7:58 PM
    • 49 Posts
    • 55 Thanks
    Gorecki
    Personally I'd be very happy if internal cat 5 cabling + wall ports were around the house.
    Beyond the wall ports, I'd expect all network equipment to be removed (and being a little paranoid, wouldn't use it if it were).
    Assuming you've not mentioned any of this on your property form, I'd take all the things you've mentioned (not the cables or wall ports), and expect the owners will be happy.
    • ThePants999
    • By ThePants999 11th Jul 17, 8:19 PM
    • 791 Posts
    • 894 Thanks
    ThePants999
    I agree with Rodders.

Remember the basic principle: if you turned the house upside down, would it fall? If yes, it's not a fixture and there's no expectation that it's staying. If no, you should include it on the fixtures and fittings form and specify whether it's included, where the default should typically be "yes". So I'd expect that the switch and router would go with you, but I'd have expected the patch panel to stay.

FWIW, if I were buying, I'd very much want you to leave in the nonfunctional sockets and cabling, which I'd then be restoring to functionality promptly :-)
    • colin79666
    • By colin79666 11th Jul 17, 8:25 PM
    • 1,296 Posts
    • 733 Thanks
    colin79666
    I'd leave the patch panel but take the switches, router etc. If you remove the patch panel you may end up not leaving sufficient cable to crimp a new panel in later and there isn't much value in a patch panel anyway.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,130Posts Today

8,397Users online

Martin's Twitter