Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Piggywinkle
    • By Piggywinkle 11th Jul 17, 2:05 PM
    • 71Posts
    • 24Thanks
    Piggywinkle
    Claim on company car policy - informing personal car insurer
    • 11th Jul 17, 2:05 PM
    Claim on company car policy - informing personal car insurer 11th Jul 17 at 2:05 PM
    My husband has a company car and his boss put me as a named driver on the policy. I drove it sporadically and unfortunately there was an incident where I reversed it into a wheelie bin against a wall and buckled part of the tailgate. The damage is estimated at £1900 to fix (new tailgate needed) and my husband's boss put it through the insurance.

Do I need to inform my own insurer on my personal vehicle immediately or is it a matter to bring up at renewal in December? I'd just got my annual premiums down to circa £300 so I can kiss goodbye to that rate for the next few years! What a dolt I am.
Page 1
    • AndyMc.....
    • By AndyMc..... 11th Jul 17, 2:14 PM
    • 731 Posts
    • 557 Thanks
    AndyMc.....
    • 11th Jul 17, 2:14 PM
    • 11th Jul 17, 2:14 PM
    My husband has a company car and his boss put me as a named driver on the policy. I drove it sporadically and unfortunately there was an incident where I reversed it into a wheelie bin against a wall and buckled part of the tailgate. The damage is estimated at £1900 to fix (new tailgate needed) and my husband's boss put it through the insurance.

Do I need to inform my own insurer on my personal vehicle immediately or is it a matter to bring up at renewal in December?
    I'd just got my annual premiums down to circa £300 so I can kiss goodbye to that rate for the next few years! What a dolt I am.
    Originally posted by Piggywinkle
    What does your policy say?
    • Piggywinkle
    • By Piggywinkle 11th Jul 17, 2:45 PM
    • 71 Posts
    • 24 Thanks
    Piggywinkle
    • 11th Jul 17, 2:45 PM
    • 11th Jul 17, 2:45 PM
    Just read through it all and there is nothing mentioned about claiming on another policy or anything like that. I don't want to rock the boat if I don't have to, but I also don't want to break the law in not notifying immediately.
    • neilmcl
    • By neilmcl 11th Jul 17, 2:49 PM
    • 9,853 Posts
    • 6,856 Thanks
    neilmcl
    • 11th Jul 17, 2:49 PM
    • 11th Jul 17, 2:49 PM
    Just read through it all and there is nothing mentioned about claiming on another policy or anything like that. I don't want to rock the boat if I don't have to, but I also don't want to break the law in not notifying immediately.
    Originally posted by Piggywinkle
    Exactly what does it say about declaring claims? This is more important than what it doesn't say, or what you assume they don't imply.
    Last edited by neilmcl; 11-07-2017 at 2:51 PM.
    • Ozzuk
    • By Ozzuk 11th Jul 17, 4:19 PM
    • 1,081 Posts
    • 1,608 Thanks
    Ozzuk
    • 11th Jul 17, 4:19 PM
    • 11th Jul 17, 4:19 PM
    I think they ask you at renewal have you been in any accidents or made any claims in 5 years, so unless you intentionally drove into the bin you are better off declaring it. If in doubt, let the insurer judge whether you should be including it by asking them.

I know many people that wouldn't say anything in this scenario, doesn't make it right though.
    • Car 54
    • By Car 54 11th Jul 17, 5:11 PM
    • 2,126 Posts
    • 1,353 Thanks
    Car 54
    • 11th Jul 17, 5:11 PM
    • 11th Jul 17, 5:11 PM
    I think they ask you at renewal have you been in any accidents or made any claims in 5 years,
    Originally posted by Ozzuk
    Do your psychic powers tell you whether her particular insurer needs her to declare it now, rather than at renewal?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,241Posts Today

7,049Users online

Martin's Twitter