Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • nickynmd
    • By nickynmd 11th Jul 17, 12:39 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    nickynmd
    Insurance cancelled my policy..
    • 11th Jul 17, 12:39 PM
    Insurance cancelled my policy.. 11th Jul 17 at 12:39 PM
    I'm in a bit of an odd situation! I have taken out a car insurance policy with IGo4 insurance who are a third party and insurance itself is through Southern Rock.

I did the initial quote on confused.com where I stated that I had held my license for 2 years (Didn't ask for date etc), unfortunately there was an oversight on my part, I had only at that point held my license for 1 year 11 months and 2 weeks.. Granted that was a mistake on my part.

I then received notification of them cancelling my policy on the 28th June and it would be cancelled by the 5th July. After discussions with them they have said the deposit paid would be offset against the amount of time I was covered.

My premium was £920.52
    Deposit of £202.61
    10x Monthly payments of £85.48
    Only 2 weeks and 2 days of insurance cover - Policy taken out on 19th June, cancelled 5th July

They had then sent me an email stating that I owe them £36.25 (might not seem like much but I am struggling with money a lot right now.. Underpaid and overworked )

Stating the the insurance amount for the 2 weeks and 2 days I was insured has came to £163.86 and a cancellation fee of £75.00 less my deposit of £202.61 means I owe the £36.25

I'm not sure where I stand with this. I was expecting and quite looking forward to a refund! But instead they are stating I owe them money! I didn't expect 2 weeks and 2 days of insurance to come to just under double my normal monthly payment!

Is this justified at all?
Page 1
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 11th Jul 17, 12:43 PM
    • 2,736 Posts
    • 2,760 Thanks
    DoaM
    • 11th Jul 17, 12:43 PM
    • 11th Jul 17, 12:43 PM
    The insurance company will have a cancellation/admin charge, as will the broker.

Why didn't they offer a revised premium for only having had your licence for less than 2 years? Do this broker/insurance company not cover drivers with less than 2 years licence held?

The problem you now have is that you'll have to answer Yes to the question - Have you ever had insurance cancelled or refused?
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
    • nickynmd
    • By nickynmd 11th Jul 17, 12:47 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    nickynmd
    • 11th Jul 17, 12:47 PM
    • 11th Jul 17, 12:47 PM
    Thanks for the reply DoaM! I'm assuming so, when I asked about it on previous calls they just stated that was their reason for cancelling the policy and didn't state if they were willing to adjust anything.

That's my worry, once one has been cancelled it will be difficult to get another!

I've asked them for a breakdown of what made that value but not had anything back yet
    • bigadaj
    • By bigadaj 11th Jul 17, 7:16 PM
    • 9,357 Posts
    • 5,981 Thanks
    bigadaj
    • 11th Jul 17, 7:16 PM
    • 11th Jul 17, 7:16 PM
    Having to declare that you've had insurance cancelled will be a big issue in future. Can't you negotiate an increased premium to maintain cover, and extra £30 is nothing in comparison.
    • arcon5
    • By arcon5 12th Jul 17, 7:17 AM
    • 12,991 Posts
    • 8,221 Thanks
    arcon5
    • 12th Jul 17, 7:17 AM
    • 12th Jul 17, 7:17 AM
    Or see if you can cancel it ahead of them
    • angrycrow
    • By angrycrow 12th Jul 17, 8:28 AM
    • 306 Posts
    • 221 Thanks
    angrycrow
    • 12th Jul 17, 8:28 AM
    • 12th Jul 17, 8:28 AM
    If as you state your licence was only 2 weeks off 2 years and you declared 2 years you may have a small chance on this case but it is very small. Brokers have cancelled the policy because you miss represented the risk when entering into the contract. They should technically have voided the policy from inception and returned al premiums but this requires them to prove that the miss representation was deliberate with an intention to obtain a financial advantage rather than an oversight.

What you should do is write an official complaint that they have cancelled the policy rather than offer alternative terms or allowing you to cancel yourself. State if the response is not acceptable you will refer the matter to the ombudsman. If it goes that far you probably have even odds for a good outcome given the insurer have followed the process that maximises their profit rather than correct process.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,979Posts Today

9,287Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin