Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • JON.S
    • By JON.S 11th Jul 17, 12:37 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    JON.S
    MBNA - Credit search without permission
    • 11th Jul 17, 12:37 PM
    MBNA - Credit search without permission 11th Jul 17 at 12:37 PM
    Hi,

Back story:-
    I currently have a credit card account with MBNA.
    I revived a text message saying:- my account is at risk of fraud, so we have blocked your card. You'll receive a new card and pin in the post.
    I received no other communication from MBNA and they dint stop the card until a few days later ( I presume the risk couldn't have been that server if they dint stop it straight away.)
    My interest rate before was 4.9% and now with the new card it is 8.9%, also I have seen on my credit score that a hard search has been preformed on myself.
    Question:-
    Is this allowed that a company can preform a hard credit search on someone without permission? And does a credit card company have to give a reason as to why they feel a card is at risk before stopping it. ( When I called to ask MBNA why it has been stopped they said I must have asked them to?).

Many thanks for your help.

Regards
    Jon
Page 1
    • bengalknights
    • By bengalknights 11th Jul 17, 12:40 PM
    • 4,158 Posts
    • 1,519 Thanks
    bengalknights
    • 11th Jul 17, 12:40 PM
    • 11th Jul 17, 12:40 PM
    They should not perform a search for security reasons unless you have applied for new credit

They should perform a ID check for fraud searches
    • molerat
    • By molerat 11th Jul 17, 2:15 PM
    • 17,330 Posts
    • 11,517 Thanks
    molerat
    • 11th Jul 17, 2:15 PM
    • 11th Jul 17, 2:15 PM
    But you will probably have agreed to credit searches being carried out at any time in the T&Cs of the card.

I doubt they have increased the apr on issuing a new card. Something else must have happened to do that. Something not quite right here, are you sure you have not agreed to a change of card type somewhere along the line - apr change and credit check seems to suggest that.
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk/donations.html
    • TadleyBaggie
    • By TadleyBaggie 11th Jul 17, 5:09 PM
    • 2,430 Posts
    • 1,754 Thanks
    TadleyBaggie
    • 11th Jul 17, 5:09 PM
    • 11th Jul 17, 5:09 PM
    If a company wants to increase the interest rate, they have to notify you and give you the option to opt out from the increase (in return for the credit card being closed for new spending).
    • TadleyBaggie
    • By TadleyBaggie 11th Jul 17, 5:10 PM
    • 2,430 Posts
    • 1,754 Thanks
    TadleyBaggie
    • 11th Jul 17, 5:10 PM
    • 11th Jul 17, 5:10 PM
    Are you sure it wasn't just a limited time promotional rate that has now expired?
    • PParka
    • By PParka 11th Jul 17, 9:44 PM
    • 191 Posts
    • 69 Thanks
    PParka
    • 11th Jul 17, 9:44 PM
    • 11th Jul 17, 9:44 PM
    Hi,
    I received the same text message from MBNA. I gave them a call and they confirmed a replacement card would be sent out. It is a direct replacement, so interest rates etc should remain the same.
    I asked why they suspected fraud on my card and I was give the following answer "VISA has informed them that an online retailer had their data breached and my card details may have been compromised"
    I asked which retailer, but MBNA told me they could not give me that information!
    • zx81
    • By zx81 11th Jul 17, 9:45 PM
    • 14,100 Posts
    • 14,785 Thanks
    zx81
    • 11th Jul 17, 9:45 PM
    • 11th Jul 17, 9:45 PM
    They are correct.
    • JON.S
    • By JON.S 12th Jul 17, 1:19 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    JON.S
    • 12th Jul 17, 1:19 PM
    • 12th Jul 17, 1:19 PM
    Hi and thank you for your response.

I have spoken again to MBNA, they said that the 4.9% was a trial rate that ended in January. The gentleman I spoke to said the only explanation was that may account had not been updated until the card was candled and changed to another.

I explained that on MSE Credit Club it is showing that a hard search was performed by them. He checked into it and said they defiantly did not do a hard search and only did a soft search to update my record. He said to contact MSE Credit Club and they will rectify this.

Many thanks for everyone’s time and help.

Regards
    Jon
    • Jonmenzies
    • By Jonmenzies 12th Jul 17, 1:39 PM
    • 48 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    Jonmenzies
    • 12th Jul 17, 1:39 PM
    • 12th Jul 17, 1:39 PM
    Hi,
    I asked why they suspected fraud on my card and I was give the following answer "VISA has informed them that an online retailer had their data breached and my card details may have been compromised"
    I asked which retailer, but MBNA told me they could not give me that information!
    Originally posted by PParka
    Hi. I am really glad I saw this thread. I have a current account with Citibank UK and they contacted me to say my card was cancelled and a new one issued. I asked why and they said Visa had informed them to do so. The only place I can trace using that card back to was a cash withdrawal at an automatic bank outside M&S. It was an M&S machine.

Did you happen to use your card at a fast cash at all?
    • PParka
    • By PParka 15th Jul 17, 9:13 PM
    • 191 Posts
    • 69 Thanks
    PParka
    Hi,
    Nope, I never use a credit card to withdraw cash.
    They said it was a online retailer that I had used in the last 6 months.
    PP
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

129Posts Today

1,762Users online

Martin's Twitter