Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Blackbeard of Perranporth
    • By Blackbeard of Perranporth 11th Jul 17, 12:16 PM
    • 4,367Posts
    • 26,396Thanks
    Blackbeard of Perranporth
    You did learn something at school?
    • 11th Jul 17, 12:16 PM
    You did learn something at school? 11th Jul 17 at 12:16 PM
    Ok, so last day at mill we tore up some erks cv. Not that I want to, as noted passim, we has just lost a stoker from the boiler room and we need to find another willing slave to take their place. Hot work.
    But the grad, after years of education has a relevant background of using all the correct tools, such as pick axe, shovel and oil can. They even managed to get themselves farmed out to a chain gang one summer, where, from reading they were very good at paining white lines! Very good, but what project did you work on, what did you do and more importantly, what did you learn about painting white lines.

Now that is what I interpreted from his introduction. I could want to see him?

But he also worked at an emporium. He goes on how much they enjoyed stacking shelves and working in some dairy department. Fantastic, this filled half your cv, but it was not relevant to much about what we do in the boiler room. Painting white lines could be relevant to the work we do, but you forgot. You have adopted a mailshot approach in the hope that one of us chief stokers manages to see through your disguise.
    But you missed out one thing that could have swung it in your favour. You stacked shelves, Good for you. But not speaking to customers , learning to deal with other people, an assisting them is making choices, you blew it.

That cv is now on the bonfire!
    Your thoughts fade
    As you shake between the fags
Page 1
    • Sncjw
    • By Sncjw 11th Jul 17, 12:32 PM
    • 1,360 Posts
    • 824 Thanks
    Sncjw
    • 11th Jul 17, 12:32 PM
    • 11th Jul 17, 12:32 PM
    What are you waffling on about
    • Blackbeard of Perranporth
    • By Blackbeard of Perranporth 11th Jul 17, 1:00 PM
    • 4,367 Posts
    • 26,396 Thanks
    Blackbeard of Perranporth
    • 11th Jul 17, 1:00 PM
    • 11th Jul 17, 1:00 PM
    I received a mail shot from a graduate. It was vague on what projects he had done or what he had achieved, He is doing a masters degree in engineering, yet has failed some elements. OK, not the best. But I could not see any reason in his cv to interview him.
    He blew it by using half the first page telling me how much he enjoyed stacking shelves! Yet while working there part time, he had not learned any customer facing skills at all!
    As he did not explain what project he had worked on, I could see no reason to call him in. I thought that as some advice for someone leaving university, don't use a mailshot cv. Look at my job requirements and match you skills to my needs.
    That includes maybe working in a bar or a supermarket, dealing with the public!
    Your thoughts fade
    As you shake between the fags
    • keepcalmandstayoutofdebt
    • By keepcalmandstayoutofdebt 11th Jul 17, 1:38 PM
    • 2,722 Posts
    • 1,423 Thanks
    keepcalmandstayoutofdebt
    • 11th Jul 17, 1:38 PM
    • 11th Jul 17, 1:38 PM
    There is a spate of people not really wanting work going around.

Last week we had a couple of prospective's in, one fiddled with their underwear during interview and the other looking so uninterested during sit and see, waited until in interview room before mentioning the job would have to work around uni. (It became clear they were forced to attend.)

Crikey I've even now worked alongside people of sick as much as in work, rude blighters barring someone else who really did want a job and increasing pressure to existing colleagues but they would be hailed the winners I'm sure.

I'm useless at writing applications for the likes of the NHS, can imagine they had a chuckle.
    "If you are caught in a rainstorm, once you accept that you'll receive a soaking, the only thing left to do is enjoy the walk"
    • cool-dog
    • By cool-dog 12th Jul 17, 7:43 PM
    • 119 Posts
    • 286 Thanks
    cool-dog
    • 12th Jul 17, 7:43 PM
    • 12th Jul 17, 7:43 PM
    There is a spate of people not really wanting work going around.

Last week we had a couple of prospective's in, one fiddled with their underwear during interview and the other looking so uninterested during sit and see, waited until in interview room before mentioning the job would have to work around uni. (It became clear they were forced to attend.)

Crikey I've even now worked alongside people of sick as much as in work, rude blighters barring someone else who really did want a job and increasing pressure to existing colleagues but they would be hailed the winners I'm sure.

I'm useless at writing applications for the likes of the NHS, can imagine they had a chuckle.
    Originally posted by keepcalmandstayoutofdebt
    I had this trying to get a carer for my OH, people would show interest, then either not show up for interview or have the interview, say they wanted the job then not turn up to the first day.

Apparently it is so they can say they have been looking for jobs so they can then get their JSA. I wish people would not mess others about like that.
    • ohreally
    • By ohreally 12th Jul 17, 8:20 PM
    • 6,096 Posts
    • 4,636 Thanks
    ohreally
    • 12th Jul 17, 8:20 PM
    • 12th Jul 17, 8:20 PM
    I wish people would not mess others about like that.
    Originally posted by cool-dog
    Perhaps the issue is, they are being messed about by the system they are caught up in.
    • GothicStirling
    • By GothicStirling 12th Jul 17, 8:26 PM
    • 920 Posts
    • 684 Thanks
    GothicStirling
    • 12th Jul 17, 8:26 PM
    • 12th Jul 17, 8:26 PM
    Shocking, students looking for work that will fit around their studies.
    • Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 12th Jul 17, 8:53 PM
    • 37,484 Posts
    • 33,792 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue
    • 12th Jul 17, 8:53 PM
    • 12th Jul 17, 8:53 PM
    (It became clear they were forced to attend.)
    By whom? You can't claim ESA while you're a student, generally.
    Still knitting!
    Completed: 1 adult cardigan, 3 baby jumpers, 1 shawl, 2 pairs baby bootees,
    1 Wise Man Knitivity figure, 1 sock ...
    Current projects: 1 shawl, t'other sock (just about to turn the heel!)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,245Posts Today

8,306Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin