Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • pappa golf
    • By pappa golf 11th Jul 17, 12:09 PM
    • 7,226Posts
    • 7,369Thanks
    pappa golf
    the demise of Ebico
    • 11th Jul 17, 12:09 PM
    the demise of Ebico 11th Jul 17 at 12:09 PM
    been with ebico for many yrs , no standing charge , however SSE took over , promised to keep the tarrif , but within weeks have cancelled it

electric
    previous (pre payment meter)

0.00 standing , 13.82per unit

as of august

28,76 standing 13.82 per unit

gas

was standing 0.00 3.83 unit

now 27.41 standing 3.35 per unit

currant projected

gas £292

new projected £393

elec

currant projected £112

new projected £210

gas increase £99
    elec increase £97

can anyone suggest a better company to bring down my costs

Page 2
    • MsLdn
    • By MsLdn 12th Jul 17, 3:29 PM
    • 22 Posts
    • 115 Thanks
    MsLdn
    I don't think so, Chris. This (below) is a cut and paste from Ebico's site with links removed (as a new user I can't post links):

Closure of EquiGas and EquiPower

In March this year we wrote to all our customers announcing that our, then, supply partner, SSE Plc, had informed us that they could no longer guarantee the future of the EquiGas & EquiPower and that, as a consequence, we had brought our partnership with SSE to an end and were launching a new, and cheaper, zero standing charge energy plan, ‘Ebico Zero’ with our new supply partner, Robin Hood Energy.
    We understand that SSE has now written to those customers who remained supplied under the EquiGas/EquiPower arrangements advising them that the tariff will cease on the 24th of August and that, after that date, they will be transferred onto SSE’s standard variable tariff (SVT) – which does have a standing charge.
    If you have any questions about this letter, or its contents, you should contact SSE Customer Services by calling 0345 071 9710 or emailing
    If you are supplied through a credit meter, and wish to remain supplied under a zero standing charge energy plan1 – and with a lower energy rate than that currently being charged by SSE, click for a quick quote, or call us on 0300 004 03 08.
    1. Please note that the Warm Homes Discount (WHD) is not currently available through Ebico energy plans, provided via our supply partnership with Robin Hood Energy.
    • MsLdn
    • By MsLdn 12th Jul 17, 3:35 PM
    • 22 Posts
    • 115 Thanks
    MsLdn
    Me and my partner chose to stay with SSE back in March as we didn't want to pay monthly (we currently pay quarterly and Robin Hood said we couldn't do that). But now we're going to switch to Robin Hood as these standing charges SSE are going to introduce are outrageous given me and my partner's low usage. On the projected usage given in the letter we received today, our gas bill will go up 75%! Yes, SSE say they're going to 'pay back' the difference for 6 months but I don't think that's satisfactory, given that they said a couple of months ago the tarriff would remain for existing customers. The biggest joke is the bit in the letter saying 'SSE a company you can trust'. I hardly think so!
    • EachPenny
    • By EachPenny 12th Jul 17, 3:42 PM
    • 1,607 Posts
    • 1,917 Thanks
    EachPenny
    Me and my partner chose to stay with SSE back in March as we didn't want to pay monthly (we currently pay quarterly and Robin Hood said we couldn't do that). But now we're going to switch to Robin Hood as these standing charges SSE are going to introduce are outrageous given me and my partner's low usage.
    Originally posted by MsLdn
    It sounds like you contacted Robin Hood directly rather than through Ebico as the Ebico/RHE arrangement continued the option of paying quarterly (with the added bonus of a quarterly direct debit discount).

Make sure you contact Ebico, not RHE, if you are interested in switching to Ebico. You should still be able to get quarterly bill payment with the optional direct debit discount, or you can use any of the other supported payment methods.
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
    • ZiggyMoff
    • By ZiggyMoff 12th Jul 17, 3:46 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    ZiggyMoff
    On the projected usage given in the letter we received today, our gas bill will go up 75%! Yes, SSE say they're going to 'pay back' the difference for 6 months but I don't think that's satisfactory, given that they said a couple of months ago the tarriff would remain for existing customers. The biggest joke is the bit in the letter saying 'SSE a company you can trust'. I hardly think so!
    I would love to know why some customers are getting this offer and some aren't, i got the letter yesterday and my electric will increase by just over 80% in cost and my gas will be close to 140% higher as it will go from a projected £72.21 PA to a projected £168.19 PA - its insane.

Yet despite my total bill increasing by just over 100% i have not been offered the "pay back" offer, i don't quite understand why only some people are getting this.
    -
    Anyways, i'm trying to get a credit meter installed now in order to get the cheapest deal possible - the cheapest PAYG on electric is doable, however the PAYG option for gas is still almost double my old projected gas price.
    • MsLdn
    • By MsLdn 12th Jul 17, 3:49 PM
    • 22 Posts
    • 115 Thanks
    MsLdn
    I don't know why everyone isn't getting it, either. Could it depend on the type of meter you have? We have a credit meter not a pre-payment meter.
    • MsLdn
    • By MsLdn 12th Jul 17, 3:50 PM
    • 22 Posts
    • 115 Thanks
    MsLdn
    Thank you, Penny. Yes, it's possible we spoke to RH direct rather than via Ebico ... it was my partner who rang while I was at work. And we had such a mess of contradictory letters at the time. That was the one thing that made us stay with SSE (at the time, we're definitely going to switch now, however we have to pay!)

Edited to add: sorry, I'm not being clear, I think we could have paid quarterly if we did it via direct debit, but we wanted to pay how we do know - online but quarterly instead of monthly.
    Last edited by MsLdn; 12-07-2017 at 3:52 PM. Reason: to add extra info
    • ZiggyMoff
    • By ZiggyMoff 12th Jul 17, 3:55 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    ZiggyMoff
    I don't know why everyone isn't getting it, either. Could it depend on the type of meter you have? We have a credit meter not a pre-payment meter.
    Wouldn't surprise me it that is the reason, pre-payment meters always seem to get the short end of the stick.
    • EachPenny
    • By EachPenny 12th Jul 17, 4:05 PM
    • 1,607 Posts
    • 1,917 Thanks
    EachPenny
    ...And we had such a mess of contradictory letters at the time. That was the one thing that made us stay with SSE (at the time, we're definitely going to switch now, however we have to pay!).
    Ah! If only you had followed the discussion on this site which was attempting to cut through the confusion... although not helped by some contributors who were determined to stoke the confusion and turn people away from Ebico.
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
    • Thriftmaster1973
    • By Thriftmaster1973 12th Jul 17, 4:45 PM
    • 23 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    Thriftmaster1973
    I've just had the same letter today and to say disappointed is an understatement.

My combined annual bill will be around £200 extra due to the loss of the £0 standing charge.
    • Mee
    • By Mee 12th Jul 17, 5:03 PM
    • 865 Posts
    • 886 Thanks
    Mee
    been with ebico for many yrs , no standing charge , however SSE took over , promised to keep the tarrif , but within weeks have cancelled it

]
    Originally posted by pappa golf
    My sympathy. Other PP users have posted about the 'standing charge'. I think given *Ebico's ethos it is an unforgivable thing to do, but I guess it was part of the RH partnership.
    Silly question, but do you need to be on PP?
    * error see next post.
    Last edited by Mee; 12-07-2017 at 6:07 PM.
    You can click the Thanks button if you want

• MsLdn
    • By MsLdn 12th Jul 17, 5:13 PM
    • 22 Posts
    • 115 Thanks
    MsLdn
    I think given Ebico ethos it is an unforgivable thing to do, but I guess it was part of the RH partnership.
    Originally posted by Mee
    It isn't Ebico who are introducing the standing charge, it's SSE. It affects previous Ebico customers (including me) who stayed with SSE after the Ebico/SSE partnership ended and is irrespective of whether they have credit meters or pre-payment meters. (Although some of us have a letter saying SSE will pay back the difference for 6 months, whereas other people have a letter without that section, which may be dependent on which type of meter you have).
    • squiggles
    • By squiggles 12th Jul 17, 5:25 PM
    • 1,150 Posts
    • 2,219 Thanks
    squiggles
    Thank you, Penny. Yes, it's possible we spoke to RH direct rather than via Ebico ... it was my partner who rang while I was at work. And we had such a mess of contradictory letters at the time. That was the one thing that made us stay with SSE (at the time, we're definitely going to switch now, however we have to pay!)

Edited to add: sorry, I'm not being clear, I think we could have paid quarterly if we did it via direct debit, but we wanted to pay how we do know - online but quarterly instead of monthly.
    I am with Ebico/Robin Hood and I am awaiting for my first quarterly bill which should arrive in the next week, my switch date was 21st April.

I do not have a direct debit set up and will pay on receipt of my quarterly bill.
    • MsLdn
    • By MsLdn 12th Jul 17, 5:29 PM
    • 22 Posts
    • 115 Thanks
    MsLdn
    That's good to know Squiggles, thanks. Clearly the advisor we spoke to back in March didn't know the deal for Ebico customers switching to RH. It gives me hope I may be able to carry on paying quarterly when we switch (if we can ever get through to them on the phone...)
    • footyguy
    • By footyguy 12th Jul 17, 6:05 PM
    • 3,456 Posts
    • 1,358 Thanks
    footyguy
    My sympathy. Other PP users have posted about the 'standing charge'. I think given Ebico ethos it is an unforgivable thing to do, but I guess it was part of the RH partnership.
    Originally posted by Mee
    No, it is the regulator who has imposed the price cap on PPM tariffs that mean the only feasible business solution is that such taiffs must have a standing charge applied (as they cannot go above the unit price cap imposed)

Ebico did try to explain this at the time.
    • Mee
    • By Mee 12th Jul 17, 6:06 PM
    • 865 Posts
    • 886 Thanks
    Mee
    Switched in April
    Got an email a few days ago asking meter readings before they process the A-J bill. Always pay on receipt of bill.
    You can click the Thanks button if you want

• footyguy
    • By footyguy 12th Jul 17, 6:07 PM
    • 3,456 Posts
    • 1,358 Thanks
    footyguy
    That's good to know Squiggles, thanks. Clearly the advisor we spoke to back in March didn't know the deal for Ebico customers switching to RH. It gives me hope I may be able to carry on paying quarterly when we switch (if we can ever get through to them on the phone...)
    https://ebico.org.uk/paying-your-bill/

No need to phone
    https://quote.ebico.org.uk/usage-details

Not sure why you have waited this long? Your delay has been costing you money.

Ebico Zero is at least 4.5% cheaper than EquiGas / EquiPower tariff and price-guaranteed until at least December 2017.
    https://ebico.org.uk/ebico-news/new-cheaper-gas-and-electricity-tariffs-under-the-new-partnership-with-robin-hood-energy/

You can't say Ebico ddn't try to warn its customers what would be happening
    This is the opening from, that same article from March this year

SSE has now closed EquiGas/EquiPower to new sales and tariff will be coming to an end.
    Last edited by footyguy; 12-07-2017 at 6:20 PM.
    • footyguy
    • By footyguy 12th Jul 17, 6:15 PM
    • 3,456 Posts
    • 1,358 Thanks
    footyguy
    I've been speaking to Robin Hood Energy today and am fairly sure I'll be switching to them shortly. One question I forgot to ask though, is whether they are part of the Warm Home Discount scheme. That makes a significant difference to my bills, and it wouldn't be worthwhile changing if they didn't provide that.

Does anyone know if they are part of that scheme? (I will try ringing again but, good lord, the waiting times...)
    Originally posted by ChrisJJ
    Please note that the Warm Homes Discount (WHD) is not currently available through Ebico energy plans, provided via our supply partnership with Robin Hood Energy.
    https://ebico.org.uk/ebico-news/closure-of-equigas-and-equipower/

If you were in receipt f WHD when supplied via the Ebico/SS partnership, you should have received written info from Ebico specifically about that

This from last March when the Ebico/SSE partnership ended
    Will I lose my Warm Home Discount?
    Unfortunately, Robin Hood Energy currently does not provide the Warm Home Discount (WHD) at this time.
    We recommend that customers who receive, or have applied for, the WHD do not transfer to our new tariffs. We will be writing to these customers about this separately.
    https://ebico.org.uk/ebico-news/new-cheaper-gas-and-electricity-tariffs-under-the-new-partnership-with-robin-hood-energy/
    Last edited by footyguy; 12-07-2017 at 6:23 PM.
    • MsLdn
    • By MsLdn 12th Jul 17, 7:58 PM
    • 22 Posts
    • 115 Thanks
    MsLdn

No need to phone

Not sure why you have waited this long? Your delay has been costing you money.

You can't say Ebico ddn't try to warn its customers what would be happening
    This is the opening from, that same article from March this year
    Originally posted by footyguy
    Footyguy. We waited because we were (incorrectly it seems) advised that we couldn't pay quarterly and also that we couldn't have two names on the bill - considerations that are important to me and my partner. The money it cost not to change so far has been peanuts as SSE reassured us in writing in April that the tarriff would continue unchanged for former Ebico customers. That has been the case for our most recent bill and the first we heard otherwise was today when we received the letter saying we'd be switched to the standard tarriff in August, which has a standing charge.

I've never said 'Ebico didn't try to warn it's customers'. None of my posts have criticised Ebico in any way, the only company I've criticised is SSE.

I've had to edit your post to remove the links, because as a new poster it's the only way I can quote it (I'm not allowed to post links yet).
    • BillTee
    • By BillTee 13th Jul 17, 2:39 PM
    • 18 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    BillTee
    Eversmart
    does anyone know much about them? Quote is cheaper than Ebico/RHE but I can find very little about them; website doesn't appear to have an "about us" section
    • Ilona
    • By Ilona 14th Jul 17, 2:36 PM
    • 1,854 Posts
    • 6,409 Thanks
    Ilona
    I am with Ebico/Robin Hood and I am awaiting for my first quarterly bill which should arrive in the next week, my switch date was 21st April.

I do not have a direct debit set up and will pay on receipt of my quarterly bill.
    Originally posted by squiggles
    This is exactly the same as me. I have been updating my meter readings on my online account, and now they send me a letter asking for the readings because they want to send me a bill. The letter is dated 7th July, but not received until the 14th. I already sent readings on 2nd, 9th, and now today the 14th.

I don't think their departments are talking to each other.

Ilona
    I love skip diving
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

205Posts Today

1,323Users online

Martin's Twitter