Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • anon_private
    • By anon_private 11th Jul 17, 12:07 PM
    • 118Posts
    • 6Thanks
    anon_private
    Boosting Mobile Phone Signal
    • 11th Jul 17, 12:07 PM
    Boosting Mobile Phone Signal 11th Jul 17 at 12:07 PM
    I have an old slide phone (Samsung SGH-E520). Outside the house the signal is strong, but inside the house it is weak, sometimes dropping the call.

With modern phones, that is a socket where a piece of wire can be installed to boost the antenna.

No such socket exists in my phone, but do have any tips that might boost the signal indoors?

Thanks

Ps. Tried silver foil on back of phone, but this made the signal worse (Youtube tip).
Page 1
    • Neil Jones
    • By Neil Jones 11th Jul 17, 12:21 PM
    • 939 Posts
    • 521 Thanks
    Neil Jones
    • 11th Jul 17, 12:21 PM
    • 11th Jul 17, 12:21 PM
    Ordinarily I'd have said the various providers Wi-Fi calling apps would be the way forward, but that Samsung doesn't appear to run Android so I fear your options may be limited.

something in the house or the construction of the house will be blocking the signal so it may be a case of having to wander around and standing in a certain spot to get a decent signal. Well either that or knock the house down.

Depending on the network you're on you may be able to get a booster thing that connects to broadband that gives the same effect as Wi-Fi calling. Beyond that you may be out of luck unfortunately.
    • anon_private
    • By anon_private 11th Jul 17, 12:47 PM
    • 118 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    anon_private
    • 11th Jul 17, 12:47 PM
    • 11th Jul 17, 12:47 PM
    The annoying thing is that other people in the house with 'decent phones' have no trouble - different networks as well
    • TadleyBaggie
    • By TadleyBaggie 11th Jul 17, 1:06 PM
    • 2,430 Posts
    • 1,754 Thanks
    TadleyBaggie
    • 11th Jul 17, 1:06 PM
    • 11th Jul 17, 1:06 PM
    I haven't see a mobile phone that allow an external aerial connection for around 15 years or so.
    • esuhl
    • By esuhl 11th Jul 17, 1:31 PM
    • 7,721 Posts
    • 5,511 Thanks
    esuhl
    • 11th Jul 17, 1:31 PM
    • 11th Jul 17, 1:31 PM
    I haven't see a mobile phone that allow an external aerial connection for around 15 years or so.
    Originally posted by TadleyBaggie
    My Samsung Galaxy S2 has one. It was released only 6 years ago.

It looks like the S3, S4, and S5 (released 3 years ago) all have external aerial ports. Maybe more recent ones do too, but I can't be bothered to check! :-P
    Last edited by esuhl; 11-07-2017 at 2:00 PM.
    • ballyblack
    • By ballyblack 11th Jul 17, 2:49 PM
    • 3,431 Posts
    • 1,761 Thanks
    ballyblack
    • 11th Jul 17, 2:49 PM
    • 11th Jul 17, 2:49 PM
    try propping it up on the window..........especially upstairs
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 11th Jul 17, 2:55 PM
    • 9,847 Posts
    • 4,055 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    • 11th Jul 17, 2:55 PM
    • 11th Jul 17, 2:55 PM
    I have an old slide phone (Samsung SGH-E520). Outside the house the signal is strong, but inside the house it is weak, sometimes dropping the call.

With modern phones, that is a socket where a piece of wire can be installed to boost the antenna.

No such socket exists in my phone, but do have any tips that might boost the signal indoors?

Thanks

Ps. Tried silver foil on back of phone, but this made the signal worse (Youtube tip).
    Originally posted by anon_private

Have you checked you have the correct firmware for your network Principally the correct modem/ baseband and CSC .
    • giraffe69
    • By giraffe69 11th Jul 17, 3:44 PM
    • 2,201 Posts
    • 1,938 Thanks
    giraffe69
    • 11th Jul 17, 3:44 PM
    • 11th Jul 17, 3:44 PM
    I have no signal inside my house. I bought a Vodafone sure signal for £69 and whilst I resent paying for their shortcomings (and was unsuccessful at persuading them to lower the price) it was, in the end, worth it to resolve the problem for two phones in the house.
    • anon_private
    • By anon_private 11th Jul 17, 4:22 PM
    • 118 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    anon_private
    • 11th Jul 17, 4:22 PM
    • 11th Jul 17, 4:22 PM
    [QUOTE=ballyblack;72822713]try propping it up on the window..........especially upstairs[/Q
    Last edited by anon_private; 16-08-2017 at 1:44 PM.
    • anon_private
    • By anon_private 11th Jul 17, 4:24 PM
    • 118 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    anon_private
    Have you checked you have the correct firmware for your network Principally the correct modem/ baseband and CSC .
    Originally posted by JJ Egan
    Don't know how to do that
    Remember the phone is an old slide phone
    • dj1471
    • By dj1471 11th Jul 17, 9:12 PM
    • 907 Posts
    • 602 Thanks
    dj1471
    The people with decent phones will be using 3G or better, you appear to be limited to 2G with that phone which may explain the difference (naturally the networks aren't investing in their 2G infrastructure anymore). Networks are unlikely to have 2G boosters to offer.

You may simply be in a 2G blackspot, but have you contacted your network? There may be a fault affecting your signal that nobody else has noticed/reported. Failing that, if you're determined to keep the phone you could try changing network.
    • grumpycrab
    • By grumpycrab 16th Aug 17, 12:46 PM
    • 3,254 Posts
    • 1,477 Thanks
    grumpycrab
    I live in the valley area where the signal is constantly weak. To boost the signal I've been using myamplifiers.com . No more dropped calls, stuck text messages, slow internet, and spotty reception.
    Originally posted by nadynn
    After spamming random threads, nadynn finally finds a relevant thread. Take care though :-
    https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/www.myamplifiers.com
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature because somebody complained that the information contained within it was too helpful.
    • kwikbreaks
    • By kwikbreaks 16th Aug 17, 1:25 PM
    • 8,841 Posts
    • 4,419 Thanks
    kwikbreaks
    The annoying thing is that other people in the house with 'decent phones' have no trouble - different networks as well
    Originally posted by anon_private
    In that case I would say that the answer is pretty obvious.
    • jbainbridge
    • By jbainbridge 16th Aug 17, 1:39 PM
    • 1,729 Posts
    • 1,123 Thanks
    jbainbridge
    Originally posted by kwikbreaks
    Indeed. In our last house we changed to Vodafone for the sole reason that they offered the SureSignal.
    • anon_private
    • By anon_private 16th Aug 17, 1:40 PM
    • 118 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    anon_private
    Originally posted by kwikbreaks
    My old phone sometimes receives a decent signal in the house. I wondered if there was a homebrew fix that would increase the number of bars.

Someone on YouTube had success by using silver paper at the back of the phone, but it did not help me

The antenna appears to be a solid state device at the bottom of the phone, but I don't know how it works
    • anon_private
    • By anon_private 16th Aug 17, 1:42 PM
    • 118 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    anon_private
    try propping it up on the window..........especially upstairs
    Originally posted by ballyblack
    This can help
    • esuhl
    • By esuhl 16th Aug 17, 4:16 PM
    • 7,721 Posts
    • 5,511 Thanks
    esuhl
    I live in the valley area where the signal is constantly weak. To boost the signal I've been using myamplifiers.com . No more dropped calls, stuck text messages, slow internet, and spotty reception.
    Originally posted by nadynn
    Aren't they illegal in the UK?
    • Frozen_up_north
    • By Frozen_up_north 16th Aug 17, 4:51 PM
    • 1,269 Posts
    • 597 Thanks
    Frozen_up_north
    Aren't they illegal in the UK?
    Originally posted by esuhl
    Yes they are illegal unless provided by the network.

For the cost of one of those, you could buy an up to date phone with additional frequency bands. You might benefit from an up to date SIM too.
    • Geoff1963
    • By Geoff1963 16th Aug 17, 7:34 PM
    • 1,056 Posts
    • 677 Thanks
    Geoff1963
    Is there any reason you want to keep that particular phone ? A newer one is likely to be better in all respects, and cost almost nothing. It might not be that the signal is weak ; but that the older electronics aren't as good at filtering out all the extra RF noise, that is being broadcast since it was designed.

How about Bluetooth hands-free, so the phone itself can be : higher, nearer to a window etc. ?

P.S. One day, your phone will suddenly stop working, and if you aren't ready for that, it will be very inconvenient.
    • Carrot007
    • By Carrot007 16th Aug 17, 7:38 PM
    • 679 Posts
    • 556 Thanks
    Carrot007
    I have no signal inside my house. I bought a Vodafone sure signal for £69 and whilst I resent paying for their shortcomings (and was unsuccessful at persuading them to lower the price) it was, in the end, worth it to resolve the problem for two phones in the house.
    Originally posted by giraffe69
    Remember a sure signal needs a 3G phone, I was given one but it did not help me with my work phone (I often WFH). Until they upgraded me to a more modern one.

So with a 2G phone your options seem to be.

1. Get a new phone.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

153Posts Today

1,696Users online

Martin's Twitter