Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • golddustmedia
    • By golddustmedia 11th Jul 17, 11:55 AM
    • 788Posts
    • 370Thanks
    golddustmedia
    Fine for leaving retail park on foot!?
    • 11th Jul 17, 11:55 AM
    Fine for leaving retail park on foot!? 11th Jul 17 at 11:55 AM
    There is a large retail park next door to my place of work which permits 4 hours of parking.

Lots of people at my work park in the retail park and use the shops/restaurants for their lunch etc, staying within the 4 hour limit, but leave the retail park on foot to come into work - for example popping in for a meeting etc.

The retail park have now put up signs advising that people may not leave the retail park whilst their car is parked there and have already issued fines for £100 to people they have monitored on CCTV walking from the retail park to the neighbouring business park.

Personally I feel this isn't right - should a parking company be allowed to restrict your movement and fine you like this?

I agree with those who are bound to say you shouldn't use the retail car park then go to work. I'm looking at this from the point of those of us who do use the retail shops but may have a reason to leave the retail park on foot for a short period. One example would be if someone is coming to our work for a job interview or short meeting. Perhaps they buy a coffee in Costa and/or a sandwich in Asda, but are then fined £100 for spending an hour outside the retail park on foot.

My question, I know that private parking "fines" are not always legally enforceable but lets put the parking element to one side. Is it right to fine someone for where they went on foot whilst parked?
Page 2
    • golddustmedia
    • By golddustmedia 11th Jul 17, 4:06 PM
    • 788 Posts
    • 370 Thanks
    golddustmedia
    I think to provide greater clarification.

The "work/business" location is an secure government site, so secure & restricted parking with no provision for visitors vehicles. Whilst this is fine for full time employees with a parking permit, the persons who are impacted are occasional visitors, for example a person coming for a job interview or meeting etc.

The adjacent retail park benefits from workers at the business location who use it's services, whilst occasionally parking there. There is no practical alternative parking in the immediate vicinity of either location.

So the nature of my query is really that whilst I am entitled to park at my work location, any person visiting my place of work is not permitted to. So they must find another location to park and the logical choice is the large retail park next door.

What I'm trying to ascertain really is what advice to give someone visiting my place of work who has been fined for leaving the retail park on foot after parking there for a short period.

In reality if the car park operated as pay and display it would suit me well, since I would advise visitors to park there and pay the relevant fee. Instead we're now advising visitors there is nowhere to park here!

I guess we'll just have to wait and see how the first few letters to pedestrians turn out in terms of appeals etc.
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 11th Jul 17, 4:11 PM
    • 51,818 Posts
    • 65,452 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    What I'm trying to ascertain really is what advice to give someone visiting my place of work who has been fined for leaving the retail park on foot after parking there for a short period.
    Don't park there, is the advice. UKCPS are ex-clampers, very nasty and no appeals will win.

As already said, check with the Council in case the Planning Permission helps you.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see how the first few letters to pedestrians turn out in terms of appeals etc.
    You don't need to wait and see, those people will lose, they will also lose at 'IAS' (don't for one minute think there is an independent appeal) then they might be sued. We can help with technical defences but heck, this will be stressful all round.

This is just about the LAST car park I would use. Can't make it much clearer.
    PRIVATE PCN? DON'T PAY BUT DO NOT IGNORE IT TWO Clicks needed for advice:
    Top of the page: Home>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking - read the 'NEWBIES' FAQS thread!
    Advice to ignore is WRONG, unless in Scotland/NI.

• Tommy182
    • By Tommy182 3rd Aug 17, 8:01 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Tommy182
    My friend has also fallen foul of this car park and have now received a NTK. At the time he/she was completely unaware of the condition to stay on site and was given a ticket within 5 minutes of leaving the site. The next day I took photos of the signage. This included;

- A large sign as you enter the car park saying 4 hours free parking
    - New signs about 8ft up on lampposts where in small red writing it states that the driver must remain on site
    - 3 'sandwich boards' as you leave the site on foot stating '- Changes to the customer parking system - still 4 hour maximum stay but no return within 90 minutes of this free parking period'

I believe the first point and third point have now been resolved but at the time they were both still in place at the time (I have pictures) he/she ignored the windscreen pnc and was going to send the template IPC response. Do you still think that is the best option in lieu of the above?
    Last edited by Tommy182; 03-08-2017 at 9:31 AM.
    • nosferatu1001
    • By nosferatu1001 3rd Aug 17, 8:10 AM
    • 1,185 Posts
    • 1,221 Thanks
    nosferatu1001
    Yes, that is correct.

However you start your own thread, as is the board rule, and dont hijack others. You also DONT REVEAL WHO DROVE. Seirously its on every single thread....
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

571Posts Today

4,859Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• RT @thismorning: With his last deals of the year, @MartinSLewis wishes us all a 'very merry Christmas, a happy Hanukkah and a wonderful and?

• RT @stoneygran: @MartinSLewis I furtively used a pub toilet last night before getting on the bus and felt really guilty!

• Follow Martin