Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Getting_By
    • By Getting_By 11th Jul 17, 11:28 AM
    • 28Posts
    • 4Thanks
    Getting_By
    Buying housing association property. A Question.
    • 11th Jul 17, 11:28 AM
    Buying housing association property. A Question. 11th Jul 17 at 11:28 AM
    Hi.

My Dad is going to by his housing association property. This house used to be a council house then it went over to a housing assocation.

On the Right to Buy application form will he have to put a separate tenacy agreement for the council house years and the housing association years?

Thanks.
Page 1
    • Cheeky_Monkey
    • By Cheeky_Monkey 11th Jul 17, 3:07 PM
    • 1,304 Posts
    • 2,484 Thanks
    Cheeky_Monkey
    • 11th Jul 17, 3:07 PM
    • 11th Jul 17, 3:07 PM
    Why doesn't he just ask the Housing Association? I'm pretty sure they'll know the answer.
    • G_M
    • By G_M 26th Jul 17, 8:13 PM
    • 41,100 Posts
    • 47,243 Thanks
    G_M
    • 26th Jul 17, 8:13 PM
    • 26th Jul 17, 8:13 PM
    I don't know if any of you can help me I have been in my HA house over 20 yrs now and been told cos I don't have a guaranteed assured tenancy I don't get 50% discount but I was told a guaranteed assured tenancy didn't exist that long ago and they are only offering me £16,000 discount now. Do I stand to get the higher discount as I have my original tenancy in hand but as the other didn't exist surely I am entitled to the higher discount. Can anyone please help me with this?
    Originally posted by PatriciaE
    start own thead.
    • Norman Castle
    • By Norman Castle 27th Jul 17, 7:35 AM
    • 6,167 Posts
    • 4,941 Thanks
    Norman Castle
    • 27th Jul 17, 7:35 AM
    • 27th Jul 17, 7:35 AM
    I don't know if any of you can help me I have been in my HA house over 20 yrs now and been told cos I don't have a guaranteed assured tenancy I don't get 50% discount but I was told a guaranteed assured tenancy didn't exist that long ago and they are only offering me £16,000 discount now. Do I stand to get the higher discount as I have my original tenancy in hand but as the other didn't exist surely I am entitled to the higher discount. Can anyone please help me with this?
    If the property has always been HA you may have the right to acquire which has different discounts to right to buy properties.

https://www.gov.uk/right-to-acquire-buying-housing-association-home/overview

Next time, start your own thread.
    Don't harass a hippie. You'll get bad karma.
    • PatriciaE
    • By PatriciaE 3rd Aug 17, 5:05 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    PatriciaE
    • 3rd Aug 17, 5:05 PM
    • 3rd Aug 17, 5:05 PM
    I am new to this and didn't know how to no need to be so damn rude about it!! A little help and guidance would have been nice!
    • Rosieandjim
    • By Rosieandjim 3rd Aug 17, 5:12 PM
    • 78 Posts
    • 100 Thanks
    Rosieandjim
    • 3rd Aug 17, 5:12 PM
    • 3rd Aug 17, 5:12 PM
    Your father will have the discount on all the years that he has been a tenant. When the Housing Association took over from the council it had to honour this.

https://righttobuy.gov.uk/am-i-eligible/housing-association-tenants/
    • AndyTails
    • By AndyTails 3rd Aug 17, 5:16 PM
    • 54 Posts
    • 52 Thanks
    AndyTails
    • 3rd Aug 17, 5:16 PM
    • 3rd Aug 17, 5:16 PM
    I am new to this and didn't know how to no need to be so damn rude about it!! A little help and guidance would have been nice!
    You're confusing "terse" with "rude". Actually, no, you're confusing "terse" with "damn rude". They're not the same. Nowhere near.

As far as help and guidance, do you mean help and guidance in starting a new thread? I think most people here would expect people to have basic internet experience to be able to do that. Although I'm quite happy to provide the guidance if asked, I wouldn't bother typing it out unless asked, as I'd appear to be trying to teach a grandmother to suck eggs.

If it was help and guidance for your situation you were hoping for, looks like Norman Castle gave you some.
    • kingstreet
    • By kingstreet 3rd Aug 17, 5:18 PM
    • 31,947 Posts
    • 17,075 Thanks
    kingstreet
    • 3rd Aug 17, 5:18 PM
    • 3rd Aug 17, 5:18 PM
    Blue new thread button, top left as you look at each forum.

Hijacking other people's threads is considered bad form, for future reference.
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,183Posts Today

8,221Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @KCMurdarasi: @MartinSLewis Only 2 fluently, but I can struggle by in another 5 or so. And ask the way to the toilet in about 10 - you d?

• Today's twitter poll: How many languages do you speak (inc Eng) with reasonable fluency (eg can have decent phone chat solely in that lang)

• RT @iiSteveJonesii: @MartinSLewis After watching you talk this morning about me burning £300 I got on a comparison site tonight & sure enou?

• Follow Martin