Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 11th Jul 17, 11:19 AM
    • 25,664Posts
    • 10,200Thanks
    forgotmyname
    NAS changed IP address?
    • 11th Jul 17, 11:19 AM
    NAS changed IP address? 11th Jul 17 at 11:19 AM
    Internet went down again last night (STUPID VODAFONE) never had so many dropped connections.

Anyway. Network icon by the clock showed no connection and a popup said IP had changed. Only caught a brief glimpse so thought no more when the internet came back on.

Until i tried to connect to my NAS and its not there. For some really odd reason the IP of the NAS box has changed from 192.168.1.100 to 169.254.1.15.

The NAS (DLINK DNS340L) does have 2 LAN sockets and socket 2 is 169.254 but i am wired to socket 1 not 2 and its a fixed IP of 192.168.1.100.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
Page 1
    • Rubidium
    • By Rubidium 11th Jul 17, 11:40 AM
    • 658 Posts
    • 437 Thanks
    Rubidium
    • 11th Jul 17, 11:40 AM
    • 11th Jul 17, 11:40 AM
    The 169.XXX.X.XX shows that your DCHP server has not supplied a valid IP address to your NAS - reboot the router.
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 11th Jul 17, 12:02 PM
    • 25,664 Posts
    • 10,200 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    • 11th Jul 17, 12:02 PM
    • 11th Jul 17, 12:02 PM
    The 169 IP was assigned to LAN2 though not LAN1 which was actually plugged in.

LAN1 was changed to 192.168.1.12 which was not the static IP i set.

I rebooted everything to get it back working. There have been a few issues since switching BB from Plusnet to Voda. Another time the default gateway switched from LAN1 to LAN2 so my DLINK login said not connected and could not find my NAS.

Then issues connecting to the LAN because the direct link via the IP is not secure. Initially this was Chrome but it didnt take long for Firefox to show the same message.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,684Posts Today

8,443Users online

Martin's Twitter