Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • flightsoffanciful
    • By flightsoffanciful 11th Jul 17, 11:13 AM
    • 18Posts
    • 12Thanks
    flightsoffanciful
    Help please - no viewings :(
    • 11th Jul 17, 11:13 AM
    Help please - no viewings :( 11th Jul 17 at 11:13 AM
    Hi all. We are selling our house and don't seem to be getting any interest (we have had 1 viewing in 4 weeks). Our estate agent doesn't think we should drop the price (or do anything else but wait). I don't think the photos do justice to the kitchen/diner in particular but the estate agent thinks the photos are fine. The market seems ok in our area but houses on our road have typically taken a while to sell.

We would appreciate some feedback- please be honest! Won't let me post a link but the our postcode is WF11 8BT - it's guide price is £120 - £130k. Thanks in advance.
Page 4
    • k3lvc
    • By k3lvc 13th Jul 17, 12:41 PM
    • 1,834 Posts
    • 2,869 Thanks
    k3lvc
    Interest in this house will pick up in the region of 80 - 100k IMO.
    Originally posted by Crashy Time

And if it sells for £80k you can then use this single transaction as your long sought evidence to prove your theory
    • Crashy Time
    • By Crashy Time 13th Jul 17, 6:26 PM
    • 4,848 Posts
    • 2,117 Thanks
    Crashy Time
    And if it sells for £80k you can then use this single transaction as your long sought evidence to prove your theory
    Originally posted by k3lvc

The theory that this house is over-priced you mean?
    • Jack Johnson the acorn
    • By Jack Johnson the acorn 13th Jul 17, 10:03 PM
    • 1,188 Posts
    • 1,288 Thanks
    Jack Johnson the acorn
    Originally posted by k3lvc
    Hahaha spilt my drink. He's only been waiting 25 years for a crash......
    • Crashy Time
    • By Crashy Time 14th Jul 17, 10:54 AM
    • 4,848 Posts
    • 2,117 Thanks
    Crashy Time
    Any more viewings turned up?
    • Crashy Time
    • By Crashy Time 15th Jul 17, 12:51 PM
    • 4,848 Posts
    • 2,117 Thanks
    Crashy Time
    You may not think the house is overpriced at £120k, but your potential buyers do, as you haven't had any offers.

You don't need to go lower if you want a "quicker" sale, you need to go lower if you want "any" sale.
    Originally posted by ReadingTim

Excellent advice, and definitely get the guitar and personalised colour scheme out of the photos IMO.
    • Corona
    • By Corona 15th Jul 17, 4:52 PM
    • 820 Posts
    • 730 Thanks
    Corona
    You've had some fantastic advice so far and the only thing I'd like to add is that what would really put me off your house is that in most of the photos the lights are clearly switched ON which screams "dark rooms". One thing buyers really look for is LIGHT as well as Space in a home. If you or a friend can photograph the rooms on a sunny day, or using a separate flash, that could make a real difference (of course, a professional photographer, working for an EA, should do the latter anyway - though clearly not in this case).

Good luck and let us know how you get on.
    • Crashy Time
    • By Crashy Time 16th Jul 17, 12:45 AM
    • 4,848 Posts
    • 2,117 Thanks
    Crashy Time
    https://www.estateagenttoday.co.uk/features/2017/7/isnt-it-time-that-property-remembered-what-is-important

EA`s finally admitting that the Elephant in the room is Price?
    • Crashy Time
    • By Crashy Time 16th Jul 17, 7:54 PM
    • 4,848 Posts
    • 2,117 Thanks
    Crashy Time
    You've had some fantastic advice so far and the only thing I'd like to add is that what would really put me off your house is that in most of the photos the lights are clearly switched ON which screams "dark rooms". One thing buyers really look for is LIGHT as well as Space in a home. If you or a friend can photograph the rooms on a sunny day, or using a separate flash, that could make a real difference (of course, a professional photographer, working for an EA, should do the latter anyway - though clearly not in this case).

Good luck and let us know how you get on.
    Originally posted by Corona

People will spot the lack of light when they view though?
    • Jack Johnson the acorn
    • By Jack Johnson the acorn 16th Jul 17, 11:55 PM
    • 1,188 Posts
    • 1,288 Thanks
    Jack Johnson the acorn
    Crashaholic is getting desperate, if you check his recent posts you'll find 90% of them are him pushing people to drop their price.

No matter what scenario, they're just always too expensive for his liking.

The HMO must be starting to get him down.
    • 00ec25
    • By 00ec25 17th Jul 17, 12:57 AM
    • 4,805 Posts
    • 4,178 Thanks
    00ec25
    Crashaholic is getting desperate, if you check his recent posts you'll find 90% of them are him pushing people to drop their price.
    Originally posted by Jack Johnson the acorn
    90%
    • glasgowdan
    • By glasgowdan 17th Jul 17, 7:04 AM
    • 2,424 Posts
    • 2,723 Thanks
    glasgowdan
    Wonder if he's read this, from the same source, and still thinks "buyers are drying up" https://www.estateagenttoday.co.uk/breaking-news/2017/7/rightmove-warns-that-supply-is-low-and-45-of-agents-stock-is-sstc
    • flightsoffanciful
    • By flightsoffanciful 17th Jul 17, 10:27 AM
    • 18 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    flightsoffanciful
    No viewings turned up yet. It's going to be a couple of weeks before we can de-clutter, de-personalise and get new photos (except for a new one I took on my phone of the garden, which is now on Rightmove. It's not perfect but less bleak than the old photo ha!). The house isn't dark at all (in fact quite the opposite) so we will bear that in mind when taking photos and I'll mention the separate flash -although hopefully a sunny day in August will be enough. As a slight aside, would anyone recommend the online estate agents - we were thinking the money saved on commission could be deducted straight off the price. Or is it better to change to another 'proper' EA? We could probably still reduce the price a bit, but would have to factor in the commission.
    • Crashy Time
    • By Crashy Time 18th Jul 17, 11:15 AM
    • 4,848 Posts
    • 2,117 Thanks
    Crashy Time
    Wonder if he's read this, from the same source, and still thinks "buyers are drying up" https://www.estateagenttoday.co.uk/breaking-news/2017/7/rightmove-warns-that-supply-is-low-and-45-of-agents-stock-is-sstc
    Originally posted by glasgowdan

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-40608995

Landlords drying up? (you can read it in detail for me if you like)
    • Crashy Time
    • By Crashy Time 18th Jul 17, 12:48 PM
    • 4,848 Posts
    • 2,117 Thanks
    Crashy Time
    Originally posted by glasgowdan

Just a puff piece, this is a better one....

http://www.khaleejtimes.com/business/real-estate/why-london-property-faces-a-bear-market-in-2018
    • Red-Squirrel
    • By Red-Squirrel 18th Jul 17, 12:56 PM
    • 1,641 Posts
    • 4,422 Thanks
    Red-Squirrel
    No viewings turned up yet. It's going to be a couple of weeks before we can de-clutter, de-personalise and get new photos (except for a new one I took on my phone of the garden, which is now on Rightmove. It's not perfect but less bleak than the old photo ha!). The house isn't dark at all (in fact quite the opposite) so we will bear that in mind when taking photos and I'll mention the separate flash -although hopefully a sunny day in August will be enough. As a slight aside, would anyone recommend the online estate agents - we were thinking the money saved on commission could be deducted straight off the price. Or is it better to change to another 'proper' EA? We could probably still reduce the price a bit, but would have to factor in the commission.
    Originally posted by flightsoffanciful
    There's not that much clutter!

Is it worth taking it off Rightmove until its actually ready to sell? By August it will have been on long enough to put a few people off just for that reason alone, and if you 'relaunch' it when its fully ready and looking its best it will show up as new again in people's searches.
    • Crashy Time
    • By Crashy Time 18th Jul 17, 5:35 PM
    • 4,848 Posts
    • 2,117 Thanks
    Crashy Time
    There's not that much clutter!

Is it worth taking it off Rightmove until its actually ready to sell? By August it will have been on long enough to put a few people off just for that reason alone, and if you 'relaunch' it when its fully ready and looking its best it will show up as new again in people's searches.
    Originally posted by Red-Squirrel

People are put off more by price than time on market IMO, and of course the more unrealistic the price the longer the time on market, so chicken and egg really?
    • samsam89
    • By samsam89 18th Jul 17, 8:24 PM
    • 106 Posts
    • 34 Thanks
    samsam89
    If I were you, I'd take it off the market and relaunch it with an online agent with pictures taken yourself (or ask a talented friend) after decluttering/sprucing up. Remove all but kettle, toaster & microwave from kitchen and perhaps have a bunch of
    Flowers in case. In fact I would remove anything vaguely personal from photos as any prospective purchaser will want to imagine themselves in your home, and that can be difficult to do when surrounded by the current owners belongings. When viewings come, and they willl come, I'm sure - there's a lot to be said for neat, tidy presentation, good quality air freshener & clean windows etc.

Also, pay no attention to 'Crashy Time' - this individual commented on a thread that involved my property a short while back and was quite the pessimist. Gave it an off the cuff valuation of 120k. A few days later after several viewings it sold for £185,000.
    • samsam89
    • By samsam89 18th Jul 17, 8:28 PM
    • 106 Posts
    • 34 Thanks
    samsam89
    Originally posted by flightsoffanciful
    Having just handed over £3k to a local EA, I'd definitely recommend trying the online arena. I'm sure there are good quality estate agents out there, but it's a large cost to pay for what is essentially connecting two dots.
    • Crashy Time
    • By Crashy Time 19th Jul 17, 12:06 AM
    • 4,848 Posts
    • 2,117 Thanks
    Crashy Time
    If I were you, I'd take it off the market and relaunch it with an online agent with pictures taken yourself (or ask a talented friend) after decluttering/sprucing up. Remove all but kettle, toaster & microwave from kitchen and perhaps have a bunch of
    Flowers in case. In fact I would remove anything vaguely personal from photos as any prospective purchaser will want to imagine themselves in your home, and that can be difficult to do when surrounded by the current owners belongings. When viewings come, and they willl come, I'm sure - there's a lot to be said for neat, tidy presentation, good quality air freshener & clean windows etc.

Also, pay no attention to 'Crashy Time' - this individual commented on a thread that involved my property a short while back and was quite the pessimist. Gave it an off the cuff valuation of 120k. A few days later after several viewings it sold for £185,000.
    Originally posted by samsam89

What property was that? Have you got a link?
    • ReadingTim
    • By ReadingTim 19th Jul 17, 9:39 AM
    • 2,013 Posts
    • 2,926 Thanks
    ReadingTim
    What property was that? Have you got a link?
    This one - thread here.

Have you been priced out of every village in need of an idiot?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,640Posts Today

7,326Users online

Martin's Twitter