Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • flightsoffanciful
    • By flightsoffanciful 11th Jul 17, 11:13 AM
    • 18Posts
    • 12Thanks
    flightsoffanciful
    Help please - no viewings :(
    • 11th Jul 17, 11:13 AM
    Help please - no viewings :( 11th Jul 17 at 11:13 AM
    Hi all. We are selling our house and don't seem to be getting any interest (we have had 1 viewing in 4 weeks). Our estate agent doesn't think we should drop the price (or do anything else but wait). I don't think the photos do justice to the kitchen/diner in particular but the estate agent thinks the photos are fine. The market seems ok in our area but houses on our road have typically taken a while to sell.

We would appreciate some feedback- please be honest! Won't let me post a link but the our postcode is WF11 8BT - it's guide price is £120 - £130k. Thanks in advance.
Page 3
    • Red-Squirrel
    • By Red-Squirrel 12th Jul 17, 11:40 AM
    • 1,509 Posts
    • 4,064 Thanks
    Red-Squirrel
    Hi, I have no idea on prices in the area etc. so I'm just going to critique your presentation which is not terrible and I like a lot of things in your house, but a few tweaks will make a big difference

Oh, I'm also going to criticise your fish care as well, is there actually one living in that bowl? If so get the poor thing cleaned and ideally into a bigger tank asap!

Ok, so...

Photo 1, lounge, find somewhere else for the guitar to live, maybe replace that rug with a plainer one, possibly a round one. I get a sense that there are important parts of the room on the sides I can't see, probably because the sides I can see look a bit bare and there is no sign of a TV stand, maybe you don't have one, but if you do get another picture of the lounge from the other side.

Photo 2, kitchen is nice, but get rid of almost everything on the surfaces and walls. If you've got a rack that looks like its intended for pans then it would be odd empty, but put your two best pans up there decoratively not all of them crowded on functionally! Hide the aprons/tea towels.

Photo 3, a bed up against a window makes it look like that's the only place it will fit. If its not then move it against the other wall. As others have said, lamp should be on a bedside table, bedding needs to be perfectly crisp like a hotel, iron it! Also don't have the books and things on your windowsill, its not a shelf and it looks like you're running out of storage space. At most it should have one nice decorative item, maybe a low key vase and some fresh flowers?

Photo 4, think others have covered this. Garden looks messy and chaotic. Tidy it up, simplify it, get some green into the lower levels with a few tubs if you can.

Photo 5, sorry but this room looks terrible, the bed is absolutely squashed in, I think if you can only fit a double by having it pressed up against the wall on three sides than a single is a better way to present for sale, if that's not possible the room needs to be gorgeous to distract from how cramped it is. I don't know what the white thing is attached to the left side of the bed, but that should come off for photos. Again, pristine fresh ironed bedding, get rid of clutter, and get a new photo that doesn't show the stairwell front and centre!

Photo 6, a nice room but if you can possible rearrange the furniture so that the bed isn't shoved up against the wall and boxed in it would seem like a bigger room and better space. Do you really need that big green shelving unit? Its quite imposing and it doesn't look like its full of stuff you absolutely need to have to hand at all times. Again, iron your bedding!

Photo 7, why do you have a blue toilet seat? It completely clashes and makes a perfectly nice bathroom look ugly! The red blind doesn't really go either but if you get rid of the blue seat that won't be so bad and you can maybe get a few other bits and pieces in red (nicer bottles of shower gel etc. you can get posh looking ones quite cheap at TK Maxx) to tie it together a bit.

Photo 8, terrible picture, so dark! Again, get rid of nearly everything from your kitchen. Nothing on top or the side of the fridge and units, no draining boards or washing up bowls at the sink, no cleaning products on the windowsill. Always have all lights turned on for photos. As posters above have said get a good one of the dining table (with nothing on it except a nice bunch of flowers in the middle!) and I'd also move that wendy house thing that's right outside the patio doors. It blocks light and the view of the garden and it looks like you'd crash it into it when you stepped outside if you weren't careful!

I hope that's not been too harsh, but really it is crazy how much little things like that can make a difference to the emotions that your house stirs in prospective viewers. It won't magically sell it if the price is wrong, but it will get viewers in and get them cooing over the place if the price is right.

Good luck!
    • flightsoffanciful
    • By flightsoffanciful 12th Jul 17, 12:05 PM
    • 18 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    flightsoffanciful
    Thank you Red Squirrel - great practical tips and easy and cheap to fix too - and not at all harsh. We need to know what might put people off (or what might entice them in). I've sent the kids off for a sleepover with grandma so I can make some of the changes you suggest and get some better photos at least as a stopgap until we can get someone out to come and do them 'properly' (we have a friend who is a photographer but is away a few weeks).

I feel a bit silly not thinking about the beds being against the wall - we only have them there to minimise the kids falling out but it definitely sends out the wrong message!

Oh and for the record the fish doesn't live in that tank any more!
    • flightsoffanciful
    • By flightsoffanciful 12th Jul 17, 12:24 PM
    • 18 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    flightsoffanciful
    Also, I've just realised why people think the bedroom in photo 5 is in the corridor - the 'stairwell' in the pictures is actually a chest of drawers (with an integral changing table). Definitely need a better photo!
    • MoneyGeoff
    • By MoneyGeoff 12th Jul 17, 12:31 PM
    • 65 Posts
    • 33 Thanks
    MoneyGeoff
    Click on the market info tab under your property and look at the recently sold ones eg this one sold for £130K:

https://www.zoopla.co.uk/property-history/12-the-wharf/knottingley/wf11-8bt/40491537

and this one for £121K:

https://www.zoopla.co.uk/property-history/15-the-wharf/knottingley/wf11-8bt/41241187

they sold within the last 12 months and prices have dropped 3% in that period in your postcode:

https://www.zoopla.co.uk/house-prices/browse/wf11/?q=WF11

So mentioning £130K in your guide price would put people off given the above one sold for £130K and looks a lot better than yours.

Looks like your ad says £120K now, so that might be OK. Maybe be reduce it a little bit further if you don't get any viewings. And get better photos!
    Last edited by MoneyGeoff; 12-07-2017 at 12:39 PM.
    • Crashy Time
    • By Crashy Time 12th Jul 17, 12:53 PM
    • 4,525 Posts
    • 2,048 Thanks
    Crashy Time
    As I said - Offers over 100k and take it from there. Sentiment is being hit daily as the media are now banging the "house prices need to crash" drum, so don`t hang round.
    • Mojisola
    • By Mojisola 12th Jul 17, 12:56 PM
    • 27,980 Posts
    • 71,134 Thanks
    Mojisola
    I've sent the kids off for a sleepover with grandma so I can make some of the changes you suggest and get some better photos at least as a stopgap until we can get someone out to come and do them 'properly'
    Originally posted by flightsoffanciful
    You mentioned in an earlier post whether people would find it odd if the rooms were 'dressed' for the photos and then looked different when people viewed.

I didn't find this the case when I was selling my Dad's house. We were gradually thinning out the furniture during the sale process so borrowed some furniture and moved other stuff around for the photos to show the rooms off to their best.

It didn't seem to matter that the rooms looked different during viewings because, once you're in the house, you can see how big the rooms are and are already thinking of how your own furniture will fit in.
    • Crashy Time
    • By Crashy Time 12th Jul 17, 1:12 PM
    • 4,525 Posts
    • 2,048 Thanks
    Crashy Time
    Click on the market info tab under your property and look at the recently sold ones eg this one sold for £130K:

https://www.zoopla.co.uk/property-history/12-the-wharf/knottingley/wf11-8bt/40491537

and this one for £121K:

https://www.zoopla.co.uk/property-history/15-the-wharf/knottingley/wf11-8bt/41241187

they sold within the last 12 months and prices have dropped 3% in that period in your postcode:

https://www.zoopla.co.uk/house-prices/browse/wf11/?q=WF11

So mentioning £130K in your guide price would put people off given the above one sold for £130K and looks a lot better than yours.

Looks like your ad says £120K now, so that might be OK. Maybe be reduce it a little bit further if you don't get any viewings. And get better photos!
    Originally posted by MoneyGeoff

Using the price tool/app is interesting, absolutely nothing selling in some postcodes, and prices dropping 2 -3% in many places, and more no doubt. Very interesting.
    • Mickygg
    • By Mickygg 12th Jul 17, 1:22 PM
    • 1,291 Posts
    • 1,009 Thanks
    Mickygg
    Put Crashy on your ignore list then you don't even read his tripe. I can see as usual he posts continuously in this thread but unless someone quotes I don't see his garbage.
    • flightsoffanciful
    • By flightsoffanciful 12th Jul 17, 1:42 PM
    • 18 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    flightsoffanciful
    Well I called the EA at lunchtime and asked them to find some better pictures of the kitchen that at least show the dining table. They said they have found 2 better photos so they should be on the site soon - although I will still do some de-cluttering and address the issues in this post and take more pictures (As we know their idea of 'better' pictures could still be terrible/dark/cut at a weird angle!). For some reason they won't send me the pictures to choose myself. We are tied in with them for another 8 weeks so I guess we need to make the best of it with or without their help!
    • Red-Squirrel
    • By Red-Squirrel 12th Jul 17, 1:59 PM
    • 1,509 Posts
    • 4,064 Thanks
    Red-Squirrel
    Well I called the EA at lunchtime and asked them to find some better pictures of the kitchen that at least show the dining table. They said they have found 2 better photos so they should be on the site soon - although I will still do some de-cluttering and address the issues in this post and take more pictures (As we know their idea of 'better' pictures could still be terrible/dark/cut at a weird angle!). For some reason they won't send me the pictures to choose myself. We are tied in with them for another 8 weeks so I guess we need to make the best of it with or without their help!
    I could take better pictures myself on my phone! When you've done your mini-makeover insist on all new ones and that you will check and veto them before they go live. When I sold my last place I followed the agent round and basically directed him what to take, I was over his shoulder the whole time. Its ok to do that as long as you're nice and polite about it!

Remember that you are paying them, don't be too meek.
    • flightsoffanciful
    • By flightsoffanciful 12th Jul 17, 3:00 PM
    • 18 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    flightsoffanciful
    Thanks Red Squirrel. I naively let the EA get on with the photographs and tried to stay out of his way as much as possible. This is my first time selling a house and I certainly won't make that mistake again!
    The EA are still adamant that the photos are fine and think I am being silly asking for them to be changed so I really do appreciate having your feedback. I feel like I might as well have listed it with one of those online agents and saved the commission (or 'use' it to reduce the price) - I thought I was paying for their guidance and expertise (again naïve first time seller obviously!). I felt a bit lost before but I feel like I have some direction now so thanks.
    • Mojisola
    • By Mojisola 12th Jul 17, 3:30 PM
    • 27,980 Posts
    • 71,134 Thanks
    Mojisola
    Well I called the EA at lunchtime and asked them to find some better pictures of the kitchen that at least show the dining table. They said they have found 2 better photos so they should be on the site soon

For some reason they won't send me the pictures to choose myself. We are tied in with them for another 8 weeks so I guess we need to make the best of it with or without their help!
    There are two over-exposed photos of the kitchen showing the table but they are separated by other photos.

The order of the photos is strange. Why are there two photos of the outside as the last two photos? One of the those should be first, followed by a series showing a logical progression round the house and finishing with the garden.

Check your contract with them. I had to change EA when selling (the agent who came out to the house was good but the office was awful) and didn't have to pay the first one anything.
    Last edited by Mojisola; 12-07-2017 at 3:32 PM.
    • DumbMuscle
    • By DumbMuscle 12th Jul 17, 3:42 PM
    • 196 Posts
    • 290 Thanks
    DumbMuscle
    There are two over-exposed photos of the kitchen showing the table but they are separated by other photos.

The order of the photos is strange. Why are there two photos of the outside as the last two photos? One of the those should be first, followed by a series showing a logical progression round the house and finishing with the garden.

Check your contract with them. I had to change EA when selling (the agent who came out to the house was good but the office was awful) and didn't have to pay the first one anything.
    Originally posted by Mojisola
    It's worth noting that the photos have been changing as this thread has gone on. The first photo of the kitchen is alright, apart from the nuclear explosion going on in the garden. The current photo 5 (with the fridge and a bit of stairwell) is incredibly pointless
    • parking_question_chap
    • By parking_question_chap 12th Jul 17, 7:12 PM
    • 1,384 Posts
    • 1,186 Thanks
    parking_question_chap
    Change it to offers over £110k, its too expensive.

If you have no viewings its not the photos, its the price.

Hiding a guitar or moving a plant pot will not make a difference, the photos are perfectly fine.

Photos are just for rough guidance, thats the point of them, if they were the be all and end all why would people bother viewing in person?
    • mrginge
    • By mrginge 12th Jul 17, 7:26 PM
    • 4,085 Posts
    • 7,180 Thanks
    mrginge
    Given the amount of flooding seen in West Yorkshire over the last couple of years plus the sheer number of identikit matchbox sized townhouses dumped on flood planes, I'm not sure that opening the pitch with 'next to the canal' is a particularly wise idea.
    Last edited by mrginge; 12-07-2017 at 7:30 PM.
    • flightsoffanciful
    • By flightsoffanciful 12th Jul 17, 10:15 PM
    • 18 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    flightsoffanciful
    Thanks ParkingQueen - I know photos are just for rough guidance, but I don't think that some of the photos even give a rough idea of the house at the moment. I do agree that moving a guitar definitely isn't going to sell this house. I have tidied up the garden this evening and have a better photo for the EA to upload - and the kitchen photo is at least gives a rough idea now (although I would prefer better!). I don't think the house is overpriced at £120k, but accept we would need to go lower for a quicker sale. We aren't at that stage now but I do appreciate the feedback.

Mrginge - The house is on a hill, with houses on the opposite side of the road. It has views over the canal, but wouldn't be at risk of flooding. Not clear from the current description and, again, I don't think a change of wording about the canal will sell the house, but hopefully it will stop putting potential viewers off!
    • ReadingTim
    • By ReadingTim 13th Jul 17, 12:03 PM
    • 1,830 Posts
    • 2,665 Thanks
    ReadingTim
    I don't think the house is overpriced at £120k, but accept we would need to go lower for a quicker sale.
    You may not think the house is overpriced at £120k, but your potential buyers do, as you haven't had any offers.

You don't need to go lower if you want a "quicker" sale, you need to go lower if you want "any" sale.
    • Crashy Time
    • By Crashy Time 13th Jul 17, 12:12 PM
    • 4,525 Posts
    • 2,048 Thanks
    Crashy Time
    Interest in this house will pick up in the region of 80 - 100k IMO.
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 13th Jul 17, 12:30 PM
    • 4,438 Posts
    • 18,587 Thanks
    Slinky
    Don't know if anybody else has mentioned it, but I'd rotate the bed with the green cover so its head is against the wall. I've never been keen on rooms where the bed only fits with the windows behind the bedhead as I envisage light leaking round the curtains in the summer and waking me up.
    • Crashy Time
    • By Crashy Time 13th Jul 17, 12:35 PM
    • 4,525 Posts
    • 2,048 Thanks
    Crashy Time
    Don't know if anybody else has mentioned it, but I'd rotate the bed with the green cover so its head is against the wall. I've never been keen on rooms where the bed only fits with the windows behind the bedhead as I envisage light leaking round the curtains in the summer and waking me up.
    Originally posted by Slinky

Yes, there are endless tweaks and tricks one can do to make a house look better for viewings/photos, we have the "Twigs in a Vase/Baking bread" TV nonsense to thank for that, but in a declining market, and this is a crash in the making, people are looking only at location, size and PRICE. IMHO.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,768Posts Today

6,722Users online

Martin's Twitter