Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • flightsoffanciful
    • By flightsoffanciful 11th Jul 17, 11:13 AM
    • 18Posts
    • 12Thanks
    flightsoffanciful
    Help please - no viewings :(
    • 11th Jul 17, 11:13 AM
    Help please - no viewings :( 11th Jul 17 at 11:13 AM
    Hi all. We are selling our house and don't seem to be getting any interest (we have had 1 viewing in 4 weeks). Our estate agent doesn't think we should drop the price (or do anything else but wait). I don't think the photos do justice to the kitchen/diner in particular but the estate agent thinks the photos are fine. The market seems ok in our area but houses on our road have typically taken a while to sell.

We would appreciate some feedback- please be honest! Won't let me post a link but the our postcode is WF11 8BT - it's guide price is £120 - £130k. Thanks in advance.
Page 2
    • flightsoffanciful
    • By flightsoffanciful 11th Jul 17, 12:03 PM
    • 18 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    flightsoffanciful
    Swingaloo - Yes slightly confusingly, the lounge is above the garage and the garden is out the back of the kitchen. I assume the house is built on a hill (if that makes sense). The kitchen definitely needs new photos and your other suggestions all sound sensible and I will take them all on board.

ReadingTim - the first house you link for £120k is comparable- the one on for £115k is in a less desirable area and I wouldn't consider comparable. Our house is in the catchment of a better (and very sought after) primary school. We do have a garage and a drive to park on (as well as on street parking)- perhaps the description could be clearer on that. My gut feeling is that it always comes down to price in the end!

Thanks again
    • flightsoffanciful
    • By flightsoffanciful 11th Jul 17, 12:06 PM
    • 18 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    flightsoffanciful
    Placitasgirl- thanks these are great suggestions. We have a 6 seater table and chairs already in that room and in use - it really is a lovely big space but the pictures are naff!

The £1k buyer incentive is an EA thing (apparently it helps them to sell?!) - I'll ask them to take it off when we change the price.
    • ReadingTim
    • By ReadingTim 11th Jul 17, 12:24 PM
    • 2,147 Posts
    • 3,048 Thanks
    ReadingTim
    My gut feeling is that it always comes down to price in the end!
    Originally posted by flightsoffanciful
    It always does. Even with naff photos, if the price is right people will take a look to see the potential in person. The fact that people aren't even bothering to take a look at your place suggests the price is set so high (especially given the price guide silliness) that it's simply not worth doing even that.

If you can't take £117, knock it down to £119,950 with no guide price and no buyers' incentive then you might get somewhere. And sort out the photos and other comments others have made - personally I regard any ad which doesn't show the exterior of the house as the first shot as if the buyer's trying to hide something....
    • fairy lights
    • By fairy lights 11th Jul 17, 12:32 PM
    • 8,266 Posts
    • 27,674 Thanks
    fairy lights
    Photos are bad - clearly they've had a fiddle around with a few filters and tried to make them look pretty and saturated but it doesn't help that they're taken from weird angles (peering round the corner of wardrobes etc) and none of them show off the full size of your rooms.
    It's also odd that the listing begins with the living room instead of the exterior.
    Garden looks pretty bleak - maybe tidy up a bit out there (is that a recliner in the garden??) and put a few pots of plants out there.
    It looks like a pretty nice house but isn't presented as well as it could be.
    • Crashy Time
    • By Crashy Time 11th Jul 17, 12:37 PM
    • 5,223 Posts
    • 2,204 Thanks
    Crashy Time
    I'd definitely say that you would benefit from some better photos. Before having them taken I personally would suggest that you:

1) Remove the frying pans and aprons from the rack on the kitchen wall and the papers on the side of the fridge freezer for new photos. This will help to make the space seem less cluttered.

2) Make your beds more neatly for photos and viewings - although they're not exactly "unmade" they could be a lot neater for the photographs and viewings.

3) I'd turn around the bed in the "green" room so that it was under the picture on the wall and not right under the window. I think this would "open up" the room.

4) If you're calling a room a kitchen/diner you really ought to be showing as a space you can cook and also eat in. Consider putting in a table and chairs even if it's only the green set you currently have in the garden. At least you're then selling the idea that two people could enjoy meals in the kitchen diner.

5) Put away some of your garden chairs for photos and viewings to de clutter the garden a little.

6) Borrow or rent a power washer to clean off the green moss from your garden decking and patio slabs. This will help it look brighter and more attractive to buyers.
    Originally posted by Placitasgirl

And if all that fails, just drop the price.
    • TBagpuss
    • By TBagpuss 11th Jul 17, 12:57 PM
    • 6,026 Posts
    • 7,773 Thanks
    TBagpuss
    I'd definitely say that you would benefit from some better photos. Before having them taken I personally would suggest that you:

1) Remove the frying pans and aprons from the rack on the kitchen wall and the papers on the side of the fridge freezer for new photos. This will help to make the space seem less cluttered.

2) Make your beds more neatly for photos and viewings - although they're not exactly "unmade" they could be a lot neater for the photographs and viewings.

3) I'd turn around the bed in the "green" room so that it was under the picture on the wall and not right under the window. I think this would "open up" the room.

4) If you're calling a room a kitchen/diner you really ought to be showing as a space you can cook and also eat in. Consider putting in a table and chairs even if it's only the green set you currently have in the garden. At least you're then selling the idea that two people could enjoy meals in the kitchen diner.

5) Put away some of your garden chairs for photos and viewings to de clutter the garden a little.

6) Borrow or rent a power washer to clean off the green moss from your garden decking and patio slabs. This will help it look brighter and more attractive to buyers.
    Originally posted by Placitasgirl

These are all the same things I was going to suggest. I'd also add - consider putting some planters or hanging baskets into the back garden so there is a bit of colour - it looks really grim at present, not somewhere you'd want to spend any time at all!

I'd also take the rug out of the living room so it looks larger (and clean the poor fish's bowl, for the fish's sake, as well as to make it look better!)

I would also suggest that you get the agents to re-order the photos so that they start with the outside of the house and then move logically through, rather than jumping at random from inside to out and from one floor to another.

I personally would suggest putting an asking price rather than 'guide price' or 'offers over'. If you want to achieve (and are advised that it is reasonable to achieve) £120K then put it on at £125K. People will almost always expect to haggle so if you market at £120K, unless you are in an area with very high demand, you are likely to get offers below that.
    • flightsoffanciful
    • By flightsoffanciful 11th Jul 17, 1:18 PM
    • 18 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    flightsoffanciful
    Thanks for all of your suggestions - they are greatly appreciated and really constructive. It's funny what you don't see when it's your own home (but I would definitely notice when looking on rightmove for potential houses to buy!!).

I've called the agents and asked them to take away the guide price and market at £120k, to re-order the photos and find one that shows the table (even if it's not a great shot) as a priority.

Next steps are to do a bit more de-cluttering and tidying and do some more photos taking on board your suggestions.
    • BJV
    • By BJV 11th Jul 17, 1:29 PM
    • 2,249 Posts
    • 3,369 Thanks
    BJV
    Ok well I am not a designer/speailist but we buy houses some we keep and some we sell.

The first thing that you have to start to do is to remember that this is no longer your house. This is an investment. You are not selling your way of life you are selling an idea of a way of life. So for example your children's bedroom it is ok to have one or two teddies as it shows that the house is a family home but the rest has to be clear and out of site. E.G The next owner may not have children and may be thinking how much work it would take to change it into a study. Do not wish to be nasty but de-kiddy it.

If you can store some of your belongings for a while fantastic. It is not nice but you have to start to think plain jane, space and light.

Kitchen- clear the top and have some green, plants herbs etc. You want to show fresh, clean and practical. When you sell someone may not like a certain type of paint or wallpaper but they will not mind as these are relativity cheap to change. You do not want them to walk in and think that they have to change a kitchen or bathroom as this is expensive. You need the next owner to walk in and not need to think that changing the bathroom or kitchen is something that they need to do straight away.

We sold our family home( yes it is very different when it is your own ) in a weekend and got top money. Not because I am a amazing but because for a couple of weeks before we had, cleaned, emptied and freshened up everything. ( in November ) Take any family or personal items off the walls. De-personalize everything. I know my daughter found this hard to begin with but it is a means to an end.

Right move Photos sell. If someone is looking on line your photos have to jump out enough to make someone want to book a viewing.

If you are not happy change EA. They are working for you and it is your house and your money so no hard feelings just do it.

This is not your home this is your bank account and you have to make sure that you get the most out of it as you can.
    Last edited by BJV; 11-07-2017 at 1:34 PM.
    Happiness, Health and Wealth in that order please!
    • Crashy Time
    • By Crashy Time 11th Jul 17, 9:35 PM
    • 5,223 Posts
    • 2,204 Thanks
    Crashy Time
    Ok well I am not a designer/speailist but we buy houses some we keep and some we sell.

The first thing that you have to start to do is to remember that this is no longer your house. This is an investment. You are not selling your way of life you are selling an idea of a way of life. So for example your children's bedroom it is ok to have one or two teddies as it shows that the house is a family home but the rest has to be clear and out of site. E.G The next owner may not have children and may be thinking how much work it would take to change it into a study. Do not wish to be nasty but de-kiddy it.

If you can store some of your belongings for a while fantastic. It is not nice but you have to start to think plain jane, space and light.

Kitchen- clear the top and have some green, plants herbs etc. You want to show fresh, clean and practical. When you sell someone may not like a certain type of paint or wallpaper but they will not mind as these are relativity cheap to change. You do not want them to walk in and think that they have to change a kitchen or bathroom as this is expensive. You need the next owner to walk in and not need to think that changing the bathroom or kitchen is something that they need to do straight away.

We sold our family home( yes it is very different when it is your own ) in a weekend and got top money. Not because I am a amazing but because for a couple of weeks before we had, cleaned, emptied and freshened up everything. ( in November ) Take any family or personal items off the walls. De-personalize everything. I know my daughter found this hard to begin with but it is a means to an end.

Right move Photos sell. If someone is looking on line your photos have to jump out enough to make someone want to book a viewing.

If you are not happy change EA. They are working for you and it is your house and your money so no hard feelings just do it.

This is not your home this is your bank account and you have to make sure that you get the most out of it as you can.
    Originally posted by BJV

Not any more.
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 12th Jul 17, 7:17 AM
    • 30,198 Posts
    • 18,051 Thanks
    getmore4less
    more than 50%(11/19) of 3 bed within 1/2mile upto £140k are SSTC so stuff is moving.

3bd+1/2mile+SSTC

go talk to these guys that have had an offer(GUIDE PRICE £130,000 - £135,000) to find out what they really got.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-57471940.html

more SSTC
    A 4 bed @ 130

this was on at 140-150 so people are maybe paying a bit more looks a bit bigger

you also have 2 <1y real sale prices
    £130k Dec 16 different style

£121K Sept 16 same style

and this one nearby
    £125k April 17

edit : should have added, not a lot to go on but £120k looks ballpark about right certainly not excessively top heavy but is local market slowing may be a waiting game if you can get the people through the door, 11/19 SSTC suggest supply/demand is matched but maybe both are slow.

Guide X-y seems to be common locally with more than just WHB.
    Last edited by getmore4less; 12-07-2017 at 7:34 AM.
    • warby68
    • By warby68 12th Jul 17, 7:49 AM
    • 847 Posts
    • 8,928 Thanks
    warby68
    For me,'buyer's incentive' means there's something wrong with this property or we're desperate - certainly not for something new to market.

Photos - I am no photographer but surely these are dire - no 'full rooms' , everywhere looks poky and awkward with an air of what are they hiding at the other end of the room when, from the dimensions, they're actually fine.

Guide price to me also has an air of desperation at this end of the market, like an auction or distressed sale.

Sorry, but looks like agent has some weird ideas and a rubbish photographer - certainly for my area they would be.

Usually photos are meant to flatter a place and pull you in, not the other way round.

Cosmetics - agree with others, you could clean up a bit (garden and fishbowl) and remove a bit of clutter for more instant eye appeal.
    • GrumpyDil
    • By GrumpyDil 12th Jul 17, 7:59 AM
    • 103 Posts
    • 57 Thanks
    GrumpyDil
    I could be wrong but I seem to recall the 1000 buyers incentives routinely offered by these agents and is linked to using their mortgage broker and linked conveyancer
    • ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    • By ScorpiondeRooftrouser 12th Jul 17, 8:07 AM
    • 2,028 Posts
    • 3,052 Thanks
    ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    If I search on Rightmove for Knottingley £110K - £130K then I just see a lot of houses I'd look at before considering yours. I don't like town houses,and I don't like the lack of a proper garden, but I am not alone in that.

It may be that there a lot of houses for sale in Knottingley right now, in which case you need to drop the price if you want to sell now, or just hang on until there are fewer alternatives.

Or it may be the case that this is the normal state of affairs in which case you just need to drop the price. There's nicer houses available for the same money.
    • sheff6107
    • By sheff6107 12th Jul 17, 8:59 AM
    • 442 Posts
    • 293 Thanks
    sheff6107
    You have 213 views on Zoopla, which isn't bad.
    • LandyAndy
    • By LandyAndy 12th Jul 17, 9:29 AM
    • 23,934 Posts
    • 50,635 Thanks
    LandyAndy
    It is a nice looking house although having lived in a three storey once I would never do it again but the description is a bit confusing. It says split over 3 floors and the hallway, cloakroom and garage are the ground floor and then says the kitchen diner is on the first floor implying that the kitchen and lounge are above the garage/hallway. But, the photo shows the kitchen doors as being on the ground floor.

Originally posted by swingaloo
    Swingaloo - Yes slightly confusingly, the lounge is above the garage and the garden is out the back of the kitchen. I assume the house is built on a hill (if that makes sense).
    Originally posted by flightsoffanciful

I assumed it was as well. But. It's your house you must know if it is or not?
    • Ozzuk
    • By Ozzuk 12th Jul 17, 10:44 AM
    • 1,145 Posts
    • 1,675 Thanks
    Ozzuk
    Have you asked the agents what is happening with the site analytics? I used to get reports from my EA when selling property, showing how often my page is being accessed. If you are coming up in searches regularly but people aren't clicking through, its often price. Of if they are clicking through and not inquiring further it can be down to pics.

Of course there are lots of other variables, but the EA should at least be able to help with this part.
    • BJV
    • By BJV 12th Jul 17, 10:52 AM
    • 2,249 Posts
    • 3,369 Thanks
    BJV
    Not any more.
    Originally posted by Crashy Time
    Ok perhaps I have missed something but why not?

There is always news about house prices god it has been going on forever. Everyone speculates everyone appears to have there fingers on the pulse.

I don't I am just a regular person. Perhaps a little simplistic in my view but I bought my first home in 1990 paid what we thought was way too much sold it again in 2003. Again what some thought was way to much.

Each time I have worked on houses and doubled my money while living somewhere nice. While enjoying where I live.

Bought my now home last year. Got a "good deal". The house next door slightly smaller and with smaller plot, but in need of just as much work has just completed at over £100,000 more than mine.

There is never a good time to buy a house. It will always cost you more than you think. There is never a good time to sell you will never get exactly what you want.

Nothing ever really changes. The cost of one may decrease but unless you are FTB or selling and not replacing the bit in the middle normally or certainly where we are remains the same.

We also own a number of rentals. So hey a drop in prices would be good for us as we can buy more. But I think we could start to talk ourselves into a house price drop and economy slide.

Public optimism is far more important than lots of people think. House prices and the feeling of apparent wealth is important to a lot of us.

OP I wish you luck and sincerely hope that you find a buyer and a beautiful new home.
    Happiness, Health and Wealth in that order please!
    • DumbMuscle
    • By DumbMuscle 12th Jul 17, 10:59 AM
    • 196 Posts
    • 290 Thanks
    DumbMuscle
    You have 213 views on Zoopla, which isn't bad.
    Originally posted by sheff6107
    Bear in mind it's linked from this thread, so a number of the views will come from forumites who would never buy it!
    • flightsoffanciful
    • By flightsoffanciful 12th Jul 17, 11:12 AM
    • 18 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    flightsoffanciful
    Thanks all - and to BJV for the well wishes It might take a while but we will get there!

I have the website analytics through the EA web portal. It is coming up in a lot of searches (more than EA average), the conversion rate is just below EA average. So I guess it's a combination of price and pictures.

We bought a new build house, in an area that isn't the most desirable in the country, so we know we aren't going to make a profit and we do want to be realistic. We know the houses on our street have taken a while to sell, and this house isn't for everyone, but we do want to make the best of what it has to offer (garage, off street parking, large kitchen diner, large lounge, 3 good size bedrooms etc). We hope some better photos will help to show that so that we aren't putting people off unecessarily! We will see how that goes and crunch some numbers around the price as well.
    • AnotherJoe
    • By AnotherJoe 12th Jul 17, 11:23 AM
    • 7,559 Posts
    • 8,161 Thanks
    AnotherJoe
    Ok perhaps I have missed something but why not?

There is always news about house prices god it has been going on forever. Everyone speculates everyone appears to have there fingers on the pulse.

I don't I am just a regular person. Perhaps a little simplistic in my view but I bought my first home in 1990 paid what we thought was way too much sold it again in 2003. Again what some thought was way to much.

Each time I have worked on houses and doubled my money while living somewhere nice. While enjoying where I live.

Bought my now home last year. Got a "good deal". The house next door slightly smaller and with smaller plot, but in need of just as much work has just completed at over £100,000 more than mine.

There is never a good time to buy a house. It will always cost you more than you think. There is never a good time to sell you will never get exactly what you want.
    Originally posted by BJV
    Because that's his mindset - "a crash is imminent." Bear in mind that Crashy would have advised you not to buy a year ago .... and the year before that .... and the year before that, etc.

Thats because a crash was (according to him) imminent, its always imminent as he needs it to be to justify the gamble he took 20 years ago that didn't pay off, moving from mortgage to rental.

Had he had the guts to acknowledge what a poor decision that was and bought around 2010 in the depths of the then house price recession, he could at least have recovered somewhat, but to him it would seem that however much prices have fallen, they will always fall more.

Based on his posts here, he evidently believes that if prices have risen, that means its a bubble and they are just about to fall, if they are static that shows they are just about to fall, and if they have fallen, then they will fall more

There is no conceivable scenario where he thinks they will not fall.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

371Posts Today

4,787Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I believe I can boldly go where no twitter poll has gone before https://t.co/HA0jC92gAK

• OK I'm wilting to public pressure and there will be a star trek captain's poll at some point next week

• I can get that. My order is 1. Picard 2. Janeway 3. Kirk. Too early to say where Lorca will end up (or would you? https://t.co/kawtCOe9RA

• Follow Martin