Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • HouseMouse
    • By HouseMouse 11th Jul 17, 10:28 AM
    • 13Posts
    • 3Thanks
    HouseMouse
    Enforcing breach of planning regs
    • 11th Jul 17, 10:28 AM
    Enforcing breach of planning regs 11th Jul 17 at 10:28 AM
    Just curious here.

My neighbour had an extension built many years ago that goes right up to my boundary. I believe he was told there were not to be any windows in the wall bordering my property, and that this is a common condition. It was built to comply.

Some years later, he did put in a small window in this wall. To the best of my knowledge it was done about 15-20 years ago. I DID NOT OWN OR LIVE IN MY HOUSE AT THE TIME THIS WAS DONE.

The window is fairly small and has obscure glass.

He has now told a neighbour (NOT ME!!!) that he want to replace this window. Neighbour told him he needs to speak to me. So far, he hasn't.
    (I have had words with him in the past about access to my property which is probably why he hasn't spoken to me yet.)

I'm OK with him replacing the window on a like-for-like basis, but I do not want it enlarged or changed to clear glass. Can I insist on this?

As a last resort, can the original planning permission be enforced to make him brick up the window altogether?
Page 1
    • pimento
    • By pimento 11th Jul 17, 11:07 AM
    • 5,186 Posts
    • 6,737 Thanks
    pimento
    • 11th Jul 17, 11:07 AM
    • 11th Jul 17, 11:07 AM
    Grow a plant in front of the window or build a fence in front of the window if he won't play ball.
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." -- Red Adair
    • Grenage
    • By Grenage 11th Jul 17, 11:12 AM
    • 1,202 Posts
    • 1,121 Thanks
    Grenage
    • 11th Jul 17, 11:12 AM
    • 11th Jul 17, 11:12 AM
    You're on a hiding to nothing regarding having it bricked up.

Regarding replacement of the window, you should really just have a word and see what he plans. If it's the same size and obscured, no worries; I believe enlarging the window would require building control.

You always have the option of putting something up on your property which would render the window pointless, but there's no point having a conflict if it can be avoided.
    • chrisw
    • By chrisw 11th Jul 17, 12:53 PM
    • 1,594 Posts
    • 864 Thanks
    chrisw
    • 11th Jul 17, 12:53 PM
    • 11th Jul 17, 12:53 PM
    As a last resort, can the original planning permission be enforced to make him brick up the window altogether?
    Originally posted by HouseMouse
    The original planning permission can't be enforced more than 4 years after completion.
    • Doozergirl
    • By Doozergirl 11th Jul 17, 1:22 PM
    • 23,743 Posts
    • 66,088 Thanks
    Doozergirl
    • 11th Jul 17, 1:22 PM
    • 11th Jul 17, 1:22 PM
    Side facing opaque windows fall under permitted development
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
    • phill99
    • By phill99 11th Jul 17, 1:30 PM
    • 7,955 Posts
    • 7,190 Thanks
    phill99
    • 11th Jul 17, 1:30 PM
    • 11th Jul 17, 1:30 PM
    As above. After 4 years, it is unenforceable. Looks like you are stuck with it!!
    Eat vegetables and fear no creditors, rather than eat duck and hide.
    • Doozergirl
    • By Doozergirl 11th Jul 17, 2:35 PM
    • 23,743 Posts
    • 66,088 Thanks
    Doozergirl
    • 11th Jul 17, 2:35 PM
    • 11th Jul 17, 2:35 PM
    As above. After 4 years, it is unenforceable. Looks like you are stuck with it!!
    Originally posted by phill99
    Unless the house has PD rights removed, the window was legal in the first place.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
    • 27cool
    • By 27cool 11th Jul 17, 7:53 PM
    • 249 Posts
    • 190 Thanks
    27cool
    • 11th Jul 17, 7:53 PM
    • 11th Jul 17, 7:53 PM
    Nice to see a lot of very sensible replies to this thread.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

691Posts Today

5,957Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: 'Sometimes the best gift is releasing somebody else from the obligation of having to give to you' says @MartinSLewis. Do y?

• Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Follow Martin